Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wife woke me up on her way for work she noticed that someone decided they needed a tailgate more then us and stole ours. I never thought or knew that people stole tailgates. Now I have to try and track one down and see about getting the lock on it re keyed for mine.
Anyone run into anything like this before or recommend a site or place to find one at a decent price? Dealer said its around 800 for a new one (comes in like 20 pieces) and then still have to get it painted and re keyed

·
Super Moderator
160,983 Posts
It's not uncommon. It only takes about 30 seconds to take it off if it's not locked.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ouch, that's brutal man.

That happens around here every now and then since they're fairly easy to take, and are obviously worth something. The used car dealership I bought my T from was doing some security upgrades when I was there. They had a problem with both tailgates and catalytic converters being taken.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
You might be able to buy it back on craigs list or ebay. One guy was busted a few years back for stealing Titan tailgates.

Also, I think somebody posted about putting a hose clamp to cover the slot in the hinge to slow down the tailgate thieves.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Not the 1st time i've heard that... SUCKS!!! I keep mine locked religiously!

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I've only heard of it on here. Otherwise, never heard of or know anyone else who's had it happen to them. Because of reading it on here, I lock the tailgate when it's not in my garage.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Yea, they pop off so quickly, crack head's will snatch them right off & sell them in the hood. LOL

"I got this tailgate man..."

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah I did find a posting on craigslist thats a bit old but called and left the guy a message. Hoping he calls back and has it. How hard would it be to get the tailgate re keyed for my key? I don't want to put it back on until I have a working lock on it.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Get a tire carrier rack!

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
You might be able to buy it back on craigs list or ebay.
About two years ago some guy had his tailgate stolen from his truck. Fast forward a week later he finds one on Craigslist (same color). He goes to meet the seller, looks at the tailgate and puts his key into the lock cylinder. YEP, you guessed it, his key turned the lock. He proceeded to beat the daylight out of the seller and held him there til the police got there. Even had his buddy video the entire event from another car and it was played on the evening news.

Owner-1, Thief-0

·
Registered
496 Posts
About two years ago some guy had his tailgate stolen from his truck. Fast forward a week later he finds one on Craigslist (same color). He goes to meet the seller, looks at the tailgate and puts his key into the lock cylinder. YEP, you guessed it, his key turned the lock. He proceeded to beat the daylight out of the seller and held him there til the police got there. Even had his buddy video the entire event from another car and it was played on the evening news.

Owner-1, Thief-0
That's cool, I probabally would have beat him to death :bangit:

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
It's not uncommon. It only takes about 30 seconds to take it off if it's not locked.
wow, those thieves must be using care and caution taking the tailgate off... actually takes about 10 seconds... two clips and a yank, gone!!! I actually demonstrated the tailgate removal within 15 seconds to a buddy of mine (F150 owner) who had a non-locking tailgate, and then he decided to buy a hinge locking device (unkown brand) that encases the open portion of the hinge secured by an allen ranch screw... tailgate drops but will not come off the hinges...

·
Premium Member
15,664 Posts
I did the power lock on my tailgate for this reason, and because i put a tonneau cover on it. Now when i lock the doors, the tailgate locks as well. It may not bee totally secure since my bed cover is not fiberglass, but it will deter anyone but the most determined theif. The mod is pretty simple, but bending the wire linkage may take a couple of tries. Now when im headed to the beach or something and need to stop at the store, i dont have to worry about the stuff in the bed. out of sight, out of mind.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
so you finally got the lock rod bent the way you needed it. I remember we had hell that day trying to get it right. My lock got transfered from my 06 to my 2010. I even showed it to the engineers at the nissan rally last summer.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I wanna see... I did the rear window cotter pin lock mod. a while back.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Lock that Sh!t

1 - 20 of 31 Posts