Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lock your tailgates! My 2008 Titan was sleeping peacefully in my upper middle class suburban driveway, when someone snuck up, quietly lifted the tailgate and drove away.

It looks like this is going to cost about $1200-$1500 for a "new" one as built by the body shop. The insurance is paying all but $250, but I still would rather have my factory tailgate. :gunz:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I have known this to happen to many people around here. Not only on Nissans, but all makes. This is the exact reason I ALWAYS keep my tailgate locked so some jerkoff doesn't steal mine.

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. I hope that jackass gets hit by a train:boxing:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
That's horrible, sorry to hear it. I know they were having problems with F150 tailgates getting stolen in the middle of the day around here at stores and stuff. I hope nobody ever makes the mistake of trying to steal my tailgate while I'm at home.:gunz:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Garages FTW :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
master_1011 said:
Garages FTW :thumbsup:
Yeah.. maybe for Altimas and Volvos.. This truck won't fit in about 75% of America's garages. Builders don't make them big enough unless you build a custom house or pay boocoo bucks! Hell, I have trouble fitting my Porsche in my stinking garage! :crying:

Sorry to hear about this tailgate thing. It's been happening forever it seems. I need to start locking mine....

·
Super Moderator
162,292 Posts
I had no idea until I bough this full size truck, and then started hanging around this site that there was such a hot market for stolen tailgates. But sadly, it seems there is. As the thread starter said, lock 'em up. I do, though I wish I didn't have to. :( Oh, and Black Beauty is right too. This truck won't fit in most garages. Most are 17 foot garages, and my truck sits right at 20 feet from nose to tail. It'll fit in the new garage at the new house now, but only with about 4 inches total to spare. It still only gets to go in for inclement weather, as I have to have wifey guide me in to keep from punching the front wall with the bull bar.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
GreenmtnTitan said:
Lock your tailgates! My 2008 Titan was sleeping peacefully in my upper middle class suburban driveway, when someone snuck up, quietly lifted the tailgate and drove away.

It looks like this is going to cost about $1200-$1500 for a "new" one as built by the body shop. The insurance is paying all but $250, but I still would rather have my factory tailgate. :gunz:
WOW - Sorry to hear that man! I'm locking mine up today!

·
Premium Member
59,070 Posts
Blackbeauty said:
Hell, I have trouble fitting my Porsche in my stinking garage! :crying:
I'm having trouble fitting my Porsche in my garage also. Mostly because I don't own a Porsche.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It sucks hearing this because you would think it is another Titan owner... SAD

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Locking it isn't always enough. I also picked up a hose clamp for a radiator hose, and put it on the end that lifts off. Will not keep them from stealing it, but if they have to work at it they usually move on. Worse case, you have to get a new lock assembly in the morning.

Hate to hear about your misfortune, may the criminal die after a long battle of anal cancer.

·
Registered
674 Posts
look on craigslist you might see your tailgate pop up....there is a guy here in Phx that people suspect stealing tailgates then listing them on craigslist for sale.....he always has a gate for sell.......

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
rgregory1965 said:
look on craigslist you might see your tailgate pop up....there is a guy here in Phx that people suspect stealing tailgates then listing them on craigslist for sale.....he always has a gate for sell.......
I wonder if a guy would be smart as to engrave an ID number somewhere on the tailgate for ID in the future.

·
Registered
495 Posts
GreenmtnTitan said:

Any reason you can't order one from the dealer? Or you mean a new one from a dealer and painted by the body shop?

·
Registered
686 Posts
My roommate had her tailgate stolen from her 06 Tacoma in front of my house as well. Middle class suburbs in San Jose, CA. It totally pissed both of us off. Looks like they just went to the back of the truck, and lifted the tail gate in seconds overnight.

Later that day, we were driving down our neighborhood and at the corner of my eye, I saw another Tacoma with it's tailgate missing parked in the driveway. I pulled over to talk to the neighbor and ask how long their tailgate had been missing. Turns out theirs was stolen the same night as well. So from what we gathered, it was definitely someone who was just out there to grab the tailgates and resell and probably hit up a few other neighborhoods in the process.

I bought her a "lock & pop" tailgate lock for her bday since the Tacoma's do not come with a locking tailgate. Insurance took care of it but it cost her over $1k through her insurance as well ordering a new gate from the dealership with the appropriate liner and emblems and then getting it painted. Good thing her deductable was only $100.

Check craigslist for sure. We found someone selling a similar white tailgate but didn't have time to drive further up north to investigate.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
The same scam was going on decades ago with the glass T tops. I had my tops stolen from my 1979 trans am, they broke the side window to unlock the tops. Insurance covered the loss, and I'm almost positive they bought the same tops back that were on mine. A guy delivered the used tops to my door in a van that had 30 sets sitting in there, all used tops...lol.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
Look on Ebay!! It might be there.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'd be a terrible thief. I just walked outside and looked at and tugged on mine, and I don't see how you get them off.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts