Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning haulin' A/s to work on the back roads of Georgia, running late of course, radio blairing,OK time to turn!:haveredfl
Off the paved road onto the driveway ABS kicks in with a grinding ka chunk ka chuck ka chunk! ka cunk ka chunk chunk chunk.:crying: right towards the tree on the left of the drive! stop stop stop!!! STOOOOOOOOOP!!.
Jump out of the truck (by the way I've got a slipped disk in my spine and didnt feel it at the moment) the bumper is resting slightly past the tree with a just few hairline scratches!:redblob" from 60 to 0mph in just the nic of time!:smoke:
I just got done telling the wife last night that instead of buying step rails I'll have to get new brake pads! how ironic is that?
Can anybody recommend a good ceramic brake pad for the stock calipers?
I dont mind paying a little more but, the stealership wont be getting another penny from me. they're asking $140 for just the front pads which actually are good pads, mine lasted 103k

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump bump? nobody knows anything about brakes?
I'm starting to think everybody on this site is bias towards the S.east why is this?

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Didn't even notice where you lived. But new brake pads won't help, unless they are worn down to nothing. The abs computer will still release brake pressure upon tire slippage. The only things you can do is slow down, or get better tires.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
jasonmotox said:
bump bump? nobody knows anything about brakes?
I'm starting to think everybody on this site is bias towards the S.east why is this?
Give it a little time. Bias towards the S.east? What? :huh: That is as goofy as saying someone wouldn't respond because you were black, mexican or an aggie! :upsidedow

As far as the brakes, someone just posted about using the green pads and new slotted/dimpel rotrs and liked them. He got them from buybrakes.com.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
vipzach said:
Give it a little time. Bias towards the S.east? What? :huh: That is as goofy as saying someone wouldn't respond because you were black, mexican or an aggie! :upsidedow

As far as the brakes, someone just posted about using the green pads and new slotted/dimpel rotrs and liked them. He got them from buybrakes.com.
I his case the best brakes in the world wouldn't have helped. He was off road hauling a** and his abs kicked in. Only better tires or slowing down will help.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
vipzach said:

sorry for the impatience, my wife told me i've been a bit edgy since the doc put me on Loricet.:paranoid:
thanks for the info though I'll check out the site.:)
I've got good tires, just no pads at all! it was like a gringing ka chunk ka chunk. whats worse is I've almost done this before just not this close to sh/tt/n my pants!

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
helomech said:
I his case the best brakes in the world wouldn't have helped. He was off road hauling a** and his abs kicked in. Only better tires or slowing down will help.
I completely agree! It sounds like his ABS did its job!

He says he needs brakes, that is why I told him to checkout buybrakes.com.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
jasonmotox said:
sorry for the impatience, my wife told me i've been a bit edgy since the doc put me on Loricet.:paranoid:
thanks for the info though I'll check out the site.:)
I've got good tires, just no pads at all! it was like a gringing ka chunk ka chunk. whats worse is I've almost done this before just not this close to sh/tt/n my pants!
If you don't have any pad left at all, then new ones will help you stop. Your rotors may need replaced also! Might be a good time to add some slotted or drilled rotors and a good set of pads.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking into the complete package but man thats alot of dough!
but its worth it to protect my baby!

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
vipzach said:
If you don't have any pad left at all, then new ones will help you stop. Your rotors may need replaced also! Might be a good time to add some slotted or drilled rotors and a good set of pads.
I just don't know if he actually looked at the pads, or if the abs noise is unfamiliar to him and he is confusing that noise with break pad noise.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
helomech said:
I just don't know if he actually looked at the pads, or if the abs noise is unfamiliar to him and he is confusing that noise with break pad noise.
I looked at the pads yesterday before I told my wife I was going to spend my last chunk of tax return on them.:crying:
I'm quite familiar with my Titan, I've owned it for 3 years and 2 months and have 103k on it. grinding only happens when there is NO PAD AT ALL.
take a look and see if I'm just not seeing something right.
http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t48/jasonmotox/?action=view&current=NOPAD.jpg

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
jasonmotox said:
I looked at the pads yesterday before I told my wife I was going to spend my last chunk of tax return on them.:crying:
I'm quite familiar with my Titan, I've owned it for 3 years and 2 months and have 103k on it. grinding only happens when there is NO PAD AT ALL.
take a look and see if I'm just not seeing something right.
http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t48/jasonmotox/?action=view&current=NOPAD.jpg
Didn't say you weren't familiar with you truck. I said I didn't know if you were so I was giving other options. Lots of people don't have a clue what the abs noise is. I have seen lots of people on this site refer to the abs noise as grinding.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no offence taken Helomech, :cheers: did you see the picture? no brake pad at all

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
jasonmotox said:
no offence taken Helomech, :cheers: did you see the picture? no brake pad at all
I saw the pic, but it is hard for me to tell. My front brakes were gone at 32k miles, but I am very hard on brakes. I have the toyo open country m/t's and they do very well, my stock tires su*cked.

·
Registered
191 Posts
jason, i had the same noise when i had to do a panic stop not to long ago. the pedal went all the way to the floor and ABS kicked in with the grinding/popping sounds. scary as crap. but your pics look like your pads should be inspected.

i haven't had to replace mine yet since new factory-less-dust ones were put on during my judder fix, but have used satisfied pads on my wifes car and other friends. haven't looked into replacing them for the titan yet, but you can get them on tirerack.com.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That side of the rotor looks surprisingly smooth for worn brake pads. I'd check the other side of the rotor, the inner pad may have worn faster than the outer pad. Can't tell pad thickness from that pic either, does look low, but who knows if it's too low.

Might as well pull the caliper and actually get a good look at the both pads.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
mattsfeir said:
That side of the rotor looks surprisingly smooth for worn brake pads. I'd check the other side of the rotor, the inner pad may have worn faster than the outer pad. Can't tell pad thickness from that pic either, does look low, but who knows if it's too low.

Might as well pull the caliper and actually get a good look at the both pads.
I just did the brakes on my wifes quest and the outside pad looked fine, but the inside pad on the drivers side was almost completly gone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts