Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long can gas sit in the tank before it starts to go bad?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I knew a guy who had a car in storage for three years, then started it. It ran like ***.

Nowadays, you can throw fuel stabalizer in there.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have heard it can be 3 months and gas starts to turn bad. I use Stabil in the winter time on my crotch rocket when I know its too cold to ride. One bottle will treat 20 gallons, its about 6 bucks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
As long as you put Stabil in it, you should be able to go 7-8 months without a problem, maybe as long as a year. This has worked fine for me winterizing cars and boats.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
do you think stabil will work for leaded fuel? just wondering because i'm thinking about putting some in my '51.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Stabil should work in leaded fuel. I think leaded fuel is the same, just with added lead.:)

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Where can you obtain leaded gas? I thought it was banned years ago.

Clint

·
Registered
364 Posts
6 months is no problem without additives if the tank is full. 15 years is too long.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
gasoline is made up of many different hydrocarbons. Some of the lighter more volitile components start to evaporate quickly while the heavier compounds stay behind. If anyone has seen a gummed up carb then they know what is left behind...

As long as you keep gas in a sealed container away from direct sunlight it should last a long time. If it has a chance to vent it will break down and go "bad" It will also absorb some water. The fuel stabilizers do extend the life greatly. Your best bet is to use some or just run it every once and a while to keep it fresh.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Clint said:
Where can you obtain leaded gas? I thought it was banned years ago.

Clint
They sell a "lead additive" in bottles at AutoZone or AdvancedAuto. It states right on the bottle "For off road use only. Not legal for highway use." :jester: The bottle treats 15 gallons of unleaded fuel. That's the only way I know how to obtain lead for my fuel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.