Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone... Not sure if anyone has tried it yet, but I was wondering how it would sound and what type of performance gain/loss would come with running a straight 3" pipe from the y-pipe back. I know the cats would provide some type of muffle, but has anyone tried this? Would this be bad for the exhaust valves due to little or no back pressure? A buddy of mine has a mustang Mach1 and did the same thing.. Sounds pretty sick

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've heard one on a titan in person and it is crazy loud! Not sure on the performance though....should be like any other straight through muffler minus the sound suppression (ie magnaflow)

·
Registered
188 Posts
+1 for crazy loud. Just about every aftermarket exhaust is louder on the titan (and not by a slight margin). You'll probably get A LOT of drone as well, which can be very annoying.
On the performance side, if you keep the stock y-pipe and keep it a single 3" back, you shouldn't lose much if any low end, but pick up mid/upper rpm power.

I have the JBA which has a straight thru K&N muffler and althought it replaces the stock y-pipe, it keeps the stock piping size and adds a better collector. I noticed I lost some of my low end torque with it, but it helped out quite a bit in the mid and upper rpms.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I fired mine up with no muffler on (it was open right after the y) and it was insanely loud. My cherry Bomb muffler will set off car alarms 2 floors above in the parking garage (at 1500rpm or less) and will make them go off as i pass by on the street in my 'hood at 25 mph. So when I say LOUD -- I mean ticket in 10 minutes loud!

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
IIRC, having straight exhaust will lower the scavenging effect of the exhaust, cause significant loss of low end, add to high end. Greatest danger is rise of internal temperatures at the valves. If Cats get hotter, they can break up and get sucked into the engine. Oh Boy, it gets fun then! Our factory cats do not seem to be extra heavy duty...Pressure keeps things cool, like in the radiator. I would never try this, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the responses.. Advice greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive had straight pipes on my truck for about six months now. Its a true dual set up no Y-pipe 3" all the way back with 4" in tips. The truck is definately loud to say the least. I havent noticed any power loss and if there is any its minor and a small sacrifice for all the ladies heads you can turn by just stepping on the gas.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
well i was at the shop one time with my tech friend and he started one up just running straight headers lol....talk about loud !!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts