Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stranded in Mexico with my 2005 Titan.
While driving up a hill on a Mexican highway, my Titan suddenly lost power.
The engine runs, but it does not accelerate or rev up.

I had a couple of local mechanics look at it. After suggesting a problem with the fuel pump or transmission, the consensus was that it was likely a problem with a sensor or the computer. But nobody is sure.

I bought a used computer from a junk yard, but the truck won't even start with this one.

Can anybody please suggest a possible cause or solution?

Additional potentially helpful info:
- The catalytic converter was removed several months ago by the Mexican Nissan dealer (they actually stole it... long story). Many dash light have been lit up ever since then.
- This last mechanic thinks the "alarm code" (codigo de alarma) on the replacement computer may be preventing the engine from starting.
- There is an Autozone in the city, but they didn't think their equipment could diagnose the problem.
- My warranty is not covered by Nissan of Mexico, and since they have stolen parts from me on 2 occasions, I'm hesitant to take it to them without knowing what the problem might be.
- I suspect it may be linked to another prob with the electrical system, because I go trough about 1 battery per year. The battery is either being over- or undercharged.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Dunno about anyone else but I want to hear more about this stolen catalytic converter.

There are so many things that could go wrong when you remove one of those without planning around it it's not even funny. What's in the void that used to be where it was? A new exhaust assembly?

I know when performance guys in the states, those who keep their trucks on the tracks (or, frankly, drive them, then put the cat back come inspection time) use spark plug fowler preventers and screw them on to their O2 assembly when they remove their cats, otherwise in addition to having to deal with the check engine light being on all the time they have to deal with dirty engines and all that that entails. Seriously, the entire engine/exhaust system is designed with the presence of a cat in mind, having one off for several months with nothing but some pipe in it's place while driving (in Mexico, at that) would do so many bad things to an engine it's not even funny. I'm not a certified mechanic so maybe one could weigh in here because I wouldn't even know where to begin. For your battery issues (which are separate) the obvious place to look is the alternator, have you done that yet?

Stole your cat? Really? I'm married to a Mexican so I have nothing against the country but your smartest move would have been, back when you could drive it, to bring it to the states and have a Nissan dealer here look at it. There is no institution in that entire country that I trust, with anything.

·
Registered
168 Posts
how would they steal you cat without removing the exhaust manifold? did they cut it off?

sounds like a currupted ecm so at least try and swap out the ipdm relays.. foglight relay with ecm relay. Maybe those bad signals caused your ecm to go into a corrupted limp mode of some sort?

it also sounds like a clogged fuel filter.. did you get gas down there or drink the water?

a bad harness that has a slight ground could drain that battery. maybe the ground causes corrupted signals once the truck is running in the ecm?

disclaimer: these are all guesses and I really hope you get it figured out.

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
I'm stranded in Mexico with my 2005 Titan.
While driving up a hill on a Mexican highway, my Titan suddenly lost power.
The engine runs, but it does not accelerate or rev up.

I had a couple of local mechanics look at it. After suggesting a problem with the fuel pump or transmission, the consensus was that it was likely a problem with a sensor or the computer. But nobody is sure.

I bought a used computer from a junk yard, but the truck won't even start with this one.

Can anybody please suggest a possible cause or solution?

Additional potentially helpful info:
- The catalytic converter was removed several months ago by the Mexican Nissan dealer (they actually stole it... long story). Many dash light have been lit up ever since then.
- This last mechanic thinks the "alarm code" (codigo de alarma) on the replacement computer may be preventing the engine from starting.
- There is an Autozone in the city, but they didn't think their equipment could diagnose the problem.
- My warranty is not covered by Nissan of Mexico, and since they have stolen parts from me on 2 occasions, I'm hesitant to take it to them without knowing what the problem might be.
- I suspect it may be linked to another prob with the electrical system, because I go trough about 1 battery per year. The battery is either being over- or undercharged.

Thanks in advance for any insights!
Yeah the problem with changing out ECU (computer) is the NATS code (chipped key) is not programmed for it. That's why you cannot start the truck. Look like your truck is in "limp mode" just have to find out why.
Are you getting any code?

Also are you talking about the secondary cats that got stolen cause it would be tough to take the primary cats like
Slade8 stated.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Try switch ing the ecm relay & any other relay just to see if it starts & runs with the original ECM

·
Premium Member
15,591 Posts
nother nod for the relay swap. mine would start, and idle really rough but would not rev or drive. then quit all together.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Wow, that sounds horrible all around.

Here in Denver we had people stealing the catalytic converters from cars parked at the Park N Ride bus stops. Apparently the metal they are made with or the components inside are worth a lot of money at the recycling centers.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
My vote goes with ixian's suggestion about taking it to a US dealership to get checked out. Between the stolen cats and the swapped ECM, your truck may be in a real world of hurt with possible permanent engine damage coming soon if not already. It really depends on which cats were taken and how your O2 sensors are operating. Primary Cats wouldn't be tough at all for a dealership to steal, a Sawzall would cut them off very easily.

Wow, that sounds horrible all around.

Here in Denver we had people stealing the catalytic converters from cars parked at the Park N Ride bus stops. Apparently the metal they are made with or the components inside are worth a lot of money at the recycling centers.
It's just copper..... People are stealing Automotive Cats and Commercial Air Conditioner Units to sell the copper inside them to a recycling center.. It's not that it's worth a whole lot, it's just easy money for scumbags who are too lazy to work a job.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My vote goes with ixian's suggestion about taking it to a US dealership to get checked out. Between the stolen cats and the swapped ECM, your truck may be in a real world of hurt with possible permanent engine damage coming soon if not already. It really depends on which cats were taken and how your O2 sensors are operating. Primary Cats wouldn't be tough at all for a dealership to steal, a Sawzall would cut them off very easily.

It's just copper..... People are stealing Automotive Cats and Commercial Air Conditioner Units to sell the copper inside them to a recycling center.. It's not that it's worth a whole lot, it's just easy money for scumbags who are too lazy to work a job.
No copper in North American cats, the theives are after the platinum/palladium more likely

Catalytic converter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
168 Posts
just an fyi if they did take what you think is the secondary cats, dont worry about it... you have an 04-06 titan you don't have secondary cats.. They are sound resonators and will not cause any codes etc etc. There is not anything behind the resonator such as a O2 sensor to take a reading of any kind.

The primary cats are part of the exhaust manifolds and are ordered all together.

·
Registered
114 Posts
no put in the old computer. if it runs but doesnt accelerate its the mass air flow sensor. unplug it and spray some air in . be on the connections. careful not to break wires

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess I´ll bite the bullet ant take it to the mexican Nissan dealership to have it diagnosed (taking it to the US isn't possible for a few more months).

If it's as simple as switching relays, any idea how much I could expect them to charge?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
just call your ins and reported stolen, sale it to someone for cheap and make some extra money for mods for your new titan here in the States ;)

Buena suerte Amigo, hojale que logres arreglarla, en que parte de Mexico estas, La titan es vendida en Mexico so La agencia de Nissan deben de tener todo para arreglarlas...

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
I guess I´ll bite the bullet ant take it to the mexican Nissan dealership to have it diagnosed (taking it to the US isn't possible for a few more months).

If it's as simple as switching relays, any idea how much I could expect them to charge?
You can do it yourself. Pull the fog lights relay and swap with the ECU relay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
John,
When your engine re-started did it run like it was on two cylinders? A real bad rich engine smell? If so mine did the same and I was pointed in swapping the fog light relay in place of the IPDM relay and the truck has ran right for two days now, (crossing my fingers).
The guy "baseballfanz" explained it and I followed his advice and so far very good advice. I was also able to purchase the relay through Mouser Electronics.
Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts