Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was finishing up doing the first oil change on my truck yesterday at 3,000 miles and I decided to check the air filter to see how it looked after a few thousand miles of wear and tear. When I popped open the intake and took the filter out, I found a very interesting thing on the filter. As I expected the filter still looked practically brand new, but there was a very obvious weird pattern of dirt on the filter. All the dust, dirt and debris was concentrated on the farthest right portion of the filter. For those of you who have seen our filter, there are two main strips down the filter which kind of divide it into three equal size sections. Almost every bit of the dirt was concentrated on the far right section and almost nothing on the other two. It was a very obvious difference in the amount of dirt collected too, it wasn't any small difference. Anyway, is this a problem worth having the dealer look at? I haven't noticed any weird engine problem recently so I am not particularly concerned, but does anyone know what could be causing this?

·
Registered
41,353 Posts
mattchu09 said:
So I was finishing up doing the first oil change on my truck yesterday at 3,000 miles and I decided to check the air filter to see how it looked after a few thousand miles of wear and tear. When I popped open the intake and took the filter out, I found a very interesting thing on the filter. As I expected the filter still looked practically brand new, but there was a very obvious weird pattern of dirt on the filter. All the dust, dirt and debris was concentrated on the farthest right portion of the filter. For those of you who have seen our filter, there are two main strips down the filter which kind of divide it into three equal size sections. Almost every bit of the dirt was concentrated on the far right section and almost nothing on the other two. It was a very obvious difference in the amount of dirt collected too, it wasn't any small difference. Anyway, is this a problem worth having the dealer look at? I haven't noticed any weird engine problem recently so I am not particularly concerned, but does anyone know what could be causing this?
That's normal. It's just how the air flows through the box.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Probably the surface area first hit by incoming air. Mine does it too.

Clint

·
Registered
386 Posts
Search for the DIY airbox mod.. It'll clear up the airflow and give you some small gains..

It's because the intake tube is in that far right corner of the airbox which is where the air and dirt are being sucked too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright cool, just wanted to make sure this wasn't anything new to yall, I think my next mod after my mini lift kit which is gonna be installed this weekend is gonna be a CAI, so obviously that mod will take care of that stupid stock airbox....

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
mattchu09 said:
That's normal. Every stock airbox will cause a concentrated dirt area where the air enters the box near the filter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also got curious when I observed the same thing with Nissan Air Filter. I thought it was something worth asking and spending for. I went to a mechanic and got very much thankful that time that it was just nothing to worry about. :rollingsm :rollingsm :rollingsm

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just confirming this too. I had a look at my stock filter and found the same pattern at roughly 3980 miles. Nothing to be concerned about. :-D If you're worried, just buy a CAI! :-D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts