1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Titan and odd things started...
  • Cruise control doesn't work, 'set' light blinks
  • radio is off but it comes on by itself
I use my cruise control a lot, need it! The radio suddenly has its own mind, coming on when it's off.

Could this be a bad battery? My battery reads 12.9v and it starts the truck just fine. I note it has a lot of battery acid corrosion funk on the negative terminal, need to clean that off. It was new in Aug 2018, so, two years old. It's an Interstate and I see '5 yr' marked on it. Not an el cheapo battery.

Could it be a fuse?

The front passenger floorboard is wet with water but I assume there is an a/c drain line stopped up or something like that and is unrelated to the electrical things going on but provide the info just in case. I've noticed that water twice and it's not rain.

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
Clean the terminal and battery cable end real well.

Make sure your rear window isn't leaking, check the area on the floor behind your back seat and check the vent located there. If you park on an incline and it rains, if you have a leak it will run down the door sills and wet the carpet at the passenger front seat area. Make sure your AC drain isn't a source of your problem. Sometimes the fitting doesn't seal correctly and lets the moisture drain onto your floor boards. Pull back the carpet/mat in the area below the glovebox and see if it's wet at the fitting junction. On the older first generation models we had to make up a fix for the original fitting. Damp floor carpet/mats are bad for mold.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
374 Posts
and check if the switch by the pedals is missing the stop for the cruise switch. not sure if its an issue on titans but it was an issue on the first gen frontier. the little pad that the switch was supposed to hit would pop out of its mount and then the cruise switch had nothing to hit the button against

·
Registered
281 Posts
Pick up a battery terminal brush at your local automotive store and clean off the white sulfur crystal buildup with the brush and apply a thin layer of dielectric grease to the battery connections. I would wear latex gloves while cleaning the connections and a respirator. That dust can not be good for you.

I had the same problem and the truck acted like it was possessed. The battery connections need to be clean and tight.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I did clean off the battery terminals with a wire brush and sprayed with terminal cleanup spray but it didn't make a difference. Bummer. I did note that one of the terminal bolts is not OEM and it didn't cinch up the terminal as well as the other one but I got it to what I thought was tight.

As for the cruise control, I think I did read somewhere awhile back about some kind of reset that might work, I will have to dig into that.

Anyone think a fuse might be a problem and any insight how to diagnose that?

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
374 Posts
that radio deal is so weird. i have read a few threads where the radio turns on and off on its own

·
Registered
281 Posts
that radio deal is so weird. i have read a few threads where the radio turns on and off on its own
Just got rid of a P.O.S. Tahoe that had the radio and headlights turn them selves on and off whenever it rained. The B. C. M. ( Body Control Module) would continuously reboot itself in the rain.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I did clean off the battery terminals with a wire brush and sprayed with terminal cleanup spray but it didn't make a difference. Bummer. I did note that one of the terminal bolts is not OEM and it didn't cinch up the terminal as well as the other one but I got it to what I thought was tight.

As for the cruise control, I think I did read somewhere awhile back about some kind of reset that might work, I will have to dig into that.

Anyone think a fuse might be a problem and any insight how to diagnose that?
Could be an intermittent connection with the steering wheel controls? Do you have the buttons on the steering wheel for radio control and cruise control? That's one thing those 2 issues have in common.

·
Registered
2009 King Titan SE Flex G10
29 Posts
2008 Titan and odd things started...
  • Cruise control doesn't work, 'set' light blinks
  • radio is off but it comes on by itself
I use my cruise control a lot, need it! The radio suddenly has its own mind, coming on when it's off.

Could this be a bad battery? My battery reads 12.9v and it starts the truck just fine. I note it has a lot of battery acid corrosion funk on the negative terminal, need to clean that off. It was new in Aug 2018, so, two years old. It's an Interstate and I see '5 yr' marked on it. Not an el cheapo battery.

Could it be a fuse?

The front passenger floorboard is wet with water but I assume there is an a/c drain line stopped up or something like that and is unrelated to the electrical things going on but provide the info just in case. I've noticed that water twice and it's not rain.
does your horn work? also interested if your other steering buttons are having issues as well. I read one thread where the spiral electrical cable broke in the steering column and needed to be replaced..SJMiller claimed it was fragile.
..and not sure if the 10a audio and x2 10a cruise control fuses to the right of the glove box are worth checking.
Your rear passenger door speaker wires run along the right door sill and wonder if that getting a little wet would cause random radio issues..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts