Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the lake yesterday looking to see if the ice was safe yet. I had my truck off with the key out of the ignition when every few moments I would hear a thunk and what sounded like a motor running come from the dash I believe.

Every few moments I would hear this noise. In the past year I've had several problems with dead batteries when the truck sits for 2 days, regardless if it's a new battery. I'm thinking whatever the hell this is will be the culprit?

Does anyone have any clue what the hell it could be?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Maybe the truck is just haunted......just kidding.
I think what it maybe is engine compartment is warm as the truck was running and outside is very cold. So just metal is now trying to contract too quick.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Maybe some sort of cooling fan for the electronics running a few minutes to cool maybe????

·
Registered
693 Posts
I know what you are talking about. When I sit in the truck and this happens, some of the dash needles will spike at the same time.

I THINK the little motor sound might be flaps in the ductwork getting closed, or opened, or whatever the default normally off situation might be. I can't think of anything else it might be.

But I have no idea why the dash needles would move for a second with the truck off. And in my case, this is with the key out of the ignition, but shortly after shutting down the truck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a distinct noise. Something is actually still operating.

The noise only lasts about 5 seconds. It sounds similar to a lumbar seat being inflated, only with a loud thunk at the end. Perhaps I should just find my digital camera and try to get a video of whats happening.

KneeSahn, I sat in the truck for about 20 minutes and it still made the noise every so often.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Krodad said:
I know what you are talking about. When I sit in the truck and this happens, some of the dash needles will spike at the same time.

I THINK the little motor sound might be flaps in the ductwork getting closed, or opened, or whatever the default normally off situation might be. I can't think of anything else it might be.

But I have no idea why the dash needles would move for a second with the truck off. And in my case, this is with the key out of the ignition, but shortly after shutting down the truck.

Strange! I was picking up my nephew from practice and when I had my truck off, I noticed my dash needles bouncing every one in a while. But your idea about the ductwork sounds believable. The thunk is very similar to the thunk you hear when turning on the heat sometimes.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I had/have the same thing. It is the vents closing. The dealer took the motor assmbly out and oiled it. Was fine for a month or so then started back up again. You can get to it without taking the dash apart. My dash needles also do the jumping thing.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I also understand the sound to be the vent in the HVAC system closing. It is the fresh air vent shutting to prevent outside smells from being able to enter the cabin (like putting the air switch to recirculate). I never tried to shut the truck with the system left in recirculate to see if it still closes thought. Supposedly, the needles quivering is the system just making sure no needles are sticking and will properly reset for next time the truck starts.

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
it's noting wrong dear Titan owner!!!! The truck closes all open vents during non operation, to keep out the elements. (cold&hot air, or any thing unwanted) while parking. No need to worry....it's just a feature on our trucks. Might come in handy if you ever break down on a cold night.God forbid.

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
UDMTITAN said:
Never thought about the good points, I just thought it was something else breaking, I keep having bolts back out on me.
it's hard sometimes to look at the cup half full. I have had my tailgate bolts come out fifty-eleven times myself. Finally put a lockwasher on it and viola fixed. IMHO they shoulda used a fine threaded bolt to reduce backout due to vibration. As some can attest to, there are vibrations on some Titans, maybe thats the reason for the bolt/screw issues. Try lockwashers and/or loctite to help.

But yeah Nissan had a good idea that actually worked with the vent actuators, much unlike the tire pressure monitoring system. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts