Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2013 2wd S (only $17k with 35k miles!) a few weeks ago, my first Titan. I'm not really into the "lifted" scene, and being 2wd it seems like it wouldnt make much sense for me to go that route. I would like to improve handling performance of the truck, which usually means lower and stiffer suspension.

So far from looking around I've found
-Mcaughy's 2/3 drop kit
-Blisten 4600's
-Beltech front/rear sway bars

I've read some mixed results about lowering the front, so also considering just rear drop shackles instead of the 2/3 kit. Any advice from people who have played around with lowering? Thanks.

(bigger wheels with lower profile street tires are a given)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Can't give you Titan-specific info, but here are some general rules from my days of hot-rodding. Old school or not, they work:

• Get the body down by at least 3". Before you start, roll underneath and see what the lowest-hanging object is, then see if you can get it tucked up into the body a bit better. Used to be that mufflers were the biggest offender, a trip to the exhaust shop generally solves that.
  • Get the height out of the tires by going to low-profile tires. Stay with the stock rim size, for two reasons: you get way better acceleration torque and braking because you're lowering the final-drive ratio. (Yes, this WILL dramatically improve your braking ability.) Save your back (unless you're young) by going down no farther than to 50-series. Going from 70-series to 50-series will make a heckuva difference. When you do this, try to find a 'touring' type tire with the dual tread pattern. The lateral grip is worth the effort.

Just these two things will make an amazing difference. How much? Here's an apples-to-apples: I used to have a '96 Hardbody truck with the inline four. I had a neighbor up the street with a '97 XE version of the same truck, his had the V-6. I'd dropped the body and swapped tires on mine, nothing more. One afternoon on the road coming home, he's behind me and starts dogging me. We hit the long straightaway, and I shifted down and matted the gas. He thought he could pass my little 4-banger but instead he got a real surprise: I pulled steadily away from him all the way to 100. At that point, I had four lengths on him.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Does anyone know what the stock 18"s weigh? I would like to at least move up to 20"s for looks. I could definitely consider a slightly smaller overall tire height.

When you say get the body down by 3" how would that be accomplished? I havent seen anything besides rear shackles available. I'm new to lowering trucks, but I've lowered three cars with springs/coilovers.

Edit: looks like shipping weight for the stock 18x8 is 42lbs :O I can get a 20x9 that weighs 10lbs less

1 - 3 of 3 Posts