Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The two screws on the skid plate that must be taken out to change the oil are stripped and are only spinning. Has anyone else dealt with this?

·
Registered
351 Posts
see if it's the screws or the holes.... if it's the holes then you'll need to get a $15 tap and die set from Autozone or harbor freight and retap them.

it's a good tool set to have anyhow.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Hehe, I just pull the skidplate off when I change my oil. I tried taking that stupid little access plate off once, but the damn screws were on so tight I reamed out the allen heads.

It might be a good idea to remove the skid plate when you change the oil anyway, lets you look for things outside the norm under there.

·
Registered
407 Posts
TitanOwnr said:
The two screws on the skid plate that must be taken out to change the oil are stripped and are only spinning. Has anyone else dealt with this?
yeah...right now im rolling without a skidplate because my screws were spinning too. wasnt any stripping, but it just spun. i decided to get a cut-off wheel on the dremel and chop it off. gonna find a new skid plate or wait till i get a custom front bumper w/ skidplate.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
yeah lol on my 05 titan i had the same problem.. hit a bump and the screws fell out...and goin 60 my skidplate started draggin... guess its not the same, yours were stirpped but mine are too loose... i guess take it back to the dealer and tell them the lst oil change they did they stipped them and your really pissed... see where that gets you

·
Registered
351 Posts
why is there a 'hatch' for an oil filter anyhow?
Just leave take that hatch cover off and leave it off... a skidplate is just that, for rocks or logs or whatever... if you think you can scrape a rock and somehow hit your oil filter with it, then their may not be a skid plate strong enough for your rock crawling activities.

I was thinking about taking my skid plate off all together, then I thought, eh..it's only a few screws and I'd probably lose it if I tried to store it somewhere.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everybody. I ended up taking it in to a local shop. The mechanic cut the screw heads off and was able to use a hammer and chisel to knock out what was left of the screw. He then rethreaded it and put new screws in. He only charged my $10.

·
Registered
22 Posts
TitanOwnr said:
Thanks, everybody. I ended up taking it in to a local shop. The mechanic cut the screw heads off and was able to use a hammer and chisel to knock out what was left of the screw. He then rethreaded it and put new screws in. He only charged my $10.

I have the same problem on my '05 Titan skid plate. All four screws are stripped and just spins. Dealer wants $45/screw to drill out ant rethread. Do I really need the skid plate? It is off for the time being.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yowsurs said:
I have the same problem on my '05 Titan skid plate. All four screws are stripped and just spins. Dealer wants $45/screw to drill out ant rethread. Do I really need the skid plate? It is off for the time being.

Any shop can fix this for you - DON'T take it to the dealer if they will not fix it for free. I took mine to a garage down the street from me and it only cost me $10 to knock out the old screws, rethread the holes and replace the screws. Actually they didn't want to take my money at all, but I insisted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts