Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem: '05 Titan, console shifter, stuck in park. My brake lights are working and the fuse is good. Pulled the center console cover and the white detent brackets are operating as they should be (when I put my foot on the brake, they move out of the way to open the shift gate). I can move the shifter to the right, but it then provides extreme resistance to pulling back into gear. I can pull it as far as the reverse position if I really pull on it, but the truck stays in park (as indicated on the dash and when I step on the gas). Any idea what could be causing the resistance / not allowing me to get it in gear?

Thank you.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Might be a stretch, but I'd climb around the truck and make sure there isn't a broken engine or transmission mount that maybe caused your tranny to get a little ****-eyed which is binding up your shifter. Also see if you can get to the linkage to see if you broke something. I'm not sure if these trucks use a cable or linkage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to crawl around there and have a look. In the event I can't locate anything, would you guys recommend I have it towed to the dealership or to a transmission shop? I'm on a bit of a tight budget right now and this is one of those "when it rains it pours" type events.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Wow,sh1thouse luck....

·
Registered
355 Posts
Glad you found it and thanks for posting the pics. I'll know where to look when it happens to me!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I mean, it's almost unbelievable and I have no idea how it got up there, but I happened upon the culprit when I was snapping some pics for you guys. It was totally hidden from view - I just reached up there and felt it. I set it back up there to take the pics.
Sucks it caused you so much grief but that's the simplest fix and it didn't cost you anything.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I mean, it's almost unbelievable and I have no idea how it got up there, but I happened upon the culprit when I was snapping some pics for you guys. It was totally hidden from view - I just reached up there and felt it. I set it back up there to take the pics.
For anyone els with this issue, similiar thing happened to me. I found this thread and checked the linkage on the transmission. No problems. Checked the linkage on the column and I have a littl box that holds the extra transponder for my viper remote start under my steering column. It slid over 2” and was blocking the linkage from moving!! So after 1.5 hours of trouble shooting and tearing the cover from my steering column to check parts I found the issue!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts