Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've posted on this topic before, but now I'm completely stumped. Any help would be gratefully accepted!!!

2006 Armada, 49k miles. Passenger front power window refuses to move at all, from either the driver's switch or the passenger switch, nor does the turn-key-in-lock-to-roll-up-windows-trick work. AND the power door lock switch does not work either - on BOTH sides. If I use the remote, the doors WILL lock and unlock just fine, but the lock switches on the doors do not work. Also, noticed that at night, the driver's side module lights up when I hit the headlights, but the passenger side module does NOT light up. There is power going to the door, though, as the power passenger side mirror still moves, and the door will lock (just not by hitting the switch!).

Took it to the dealer, described the problem in detail. Of course, as soon as they touch the truck... and all the windows work just fine. They tell me that it's probably an intermittant short in the driver's side control module, as the tech has only ever seen the problem on the driver's side.

I tried replacing the switch/control module for the DRIVER'S SIDE. Hooked it up... and no luck. Doh. Go and spend another $100, and buy the passenger side switch. And... no luck! Still not working.

Would hugely appreciate any thought as to where the problem may lay. If there is an intermittent short, where the heck would it be? Logically, I'm thinking that it's a control module of some sort - not likely that it would be a failure in the power window mechanism AND a failure in the power door lock mechanism simultaneously, especially as how the power door lock still work when activated by the key fob.

Real question then is: could it be some mysterious, hidden control module?

Should I just give up, admit defeat, and take it back to the dealer??

Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks!

vty,

--Dennis

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True. :) But remember, I *did* take it to the dealer when it first happened, and they nicely charged me $45 just to "look at" the problem - which consisted entirely of (a) tech getting into truck, (b) tech touching window switch and having window move. "Can't reproduce problem". Cha-ching, $45 please. Grrrr...

vty,

--Dennis

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Well,
It's reproducible now.
Take it back, and have them waive the 45 dollar charge.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
did you test any of the wries with a multimeter? I would have done that before replacing anything.

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
The dealer has a parts department full of parts to try. You can't return parts once you buy them. Many times they (dealer) are hit or miss too, it's just we don't know of those times.

Clint

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Justintoxicated said:
did you test any of the wries with a multimeter? I would have done that before replacing anything.
That's what I'm going to do this weekend. If I FAIL at that (and that's what I'm guessing at this point), it'll be back to the dealership....

Anyone have any other suggestions?

thx,

--Dennis

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
It sounds like it may be a faulty BCM module, I had several of these replaced.
Either the windows would not go up or down, I could not unlock and or lock my doors and once when every I took the keys out of the ignition, the windows would roll down and the horn would beep.
Each time, the fix was a new BCM module, which only took a few minutes to install.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
skyhammer said:
It sounds like it may be a faulty BCM module, I had several of these replaced.
Either the windows would not go up or down, I could not unlock and or lock my doors and once when every I took the keys out of the ignition, the windows would roll down and the horn would beep.
Each time, the fix was a new BCM module, which only took a few minutes to install.
Great feedback - thanks. But I thought the BCM module for the windows was contained in the driver's side switch box? Is it elsewhere? Anyone knows where it is?

Thx,

--Dennis

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: FIXED! Stumped by power window issue

I am guessing the wiring may be the culprit. Could be hard to track down.
Yup - you and Justintoxicated were absolutely correct.

Late update - problem resolved!

Sorry for the delay in posting this, but the problem was finally fixed by the excellent guys at my local Nissan dealership, Rockingham Nissan in New Hampshire.

After I told them my tale of woe, they started tracing the wiring. Found a crimped/pinched wire at the PARKING BRAKE. Aha! That's what caused the initial failure; I was parked on a steep driveway, and depressed the brake as hard as I could. It would explain why the problem was intermittent; on those rare occasions that I'd use the parking brake, it would jostle the pinched wire, so it'd work for awhile then stop.

And I just got a PM from someone with the same problem; I suggested he check his wiring at the same location, and he just fixed his truck too! Perhaps this problem is more widespread than I thought.

Can't believe I wasted so much time on it. Anyone want to buy a pair of power window switch modules, brand new, cheap? :)

vty,

--Dennis

·
Registered
54 Posts
how much do you want for the switches i'm installing power windows and locks on a 2004 xe

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how much do you want for the switches i'm installing power windows and locks on a 2004 xe
There are the switch modules for my 2006 Armada, presuming they fit other models/years. Part #25401-7S201, driver's side, I paid $124.55, and #25411-7S201, $120.21. Bought both from Marlboro (MA) Nissan. Plugged them in (through the factory plastic wrap/bag), didn't fix the problem, so reinstalled the originals; new ones were never installed. Will take $150 for the pair (plus actual shipping to wherever). :)

vty,

--Dennis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts