Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am the first to admit I am pretty clueless when it comes to differentials and stuff but I try my best and learn a lot from this site. I have read about 50 Truetrac threads and I am still a bit confused thus this post. Here are my questions:

1. I have a 2005 LE with Big Tow no E locker. I rarely if ever tow, I dont off road and have had no diff issues (knock on wood say). That being said the truck is closing in on 80,000 miles and I plan on keeping it and driving it for many more years. Should I just continue driving it and hope the rear diff holds up or would you invest in a truetrac as insurance?

2. As I mentioned I am a dolt when it comes to trucks. I have found a shop that will install the TrueTrac for $500 or so (they havent done a trutrac per say but he said a diff is a diff). Based on what I would need from reading posts:
- Detroit TrueTrac Differential - 913A582? or do I need
- Detroit Truetrac Rear Differential with Races and Bearings

3. Is there anything else I would need or should tell the shop that is installing the Truetrac? Do I need a bigger Diff cover?

4. Finally, any place you guy would recommend to buy it from? I think 4x4parts is the cheapest thus far.

Thanks in adavance for your input!

·
Registered
14,146 Posts
I am the first to admit I am pretty clueless when it comes to differentials and stuff but I try my best and learn a lot from this site. I have read about 50 Truetrac threads and I am still a bit confused thus this post. Here are my questions:

1. I have a 2005 LE with Big Tow no E locker. I rarely if ever tow, I dont off road and have had no diff issues (knock on wood say). That being said the truck is closing in on 80,000 miles and I plan on keeping it and driving it for many more years. Should I just continue driving it and hope the rear diff holds up or would you invest in a truetrac as insurance?

2. As I mentioned I am a dolt when it comes to trucks. I have found a shop that will install the TrueTrac for $500 or so (they havent done a trutrac per say but he said a diff is a diff). Based on what I would need from reading posts:

3. Is there anything else I would need or should tell the shop that is installing the Truetrac? Do I need a bigger Diff cover?

4. Finally, any place you guy would recommend to buy it from? I think 4x4parts is the cheapest thus far.

Whats your location? If your in AZ there is a reputable shop that has done the install on a titan on titantalk.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts

I ordered my Tru trac, Races and bearing from 4x4parts.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts

1. Get the TrueTrac. It's a good upgrade and certainly preventative.
2. $500 is a decent price.
3. Shims, check to see the bolts are secured, use the right oil so it doesn't blow through the axle seals. You do not need a new differential cover unless you do not have a finned one. I however recommend the Mag Hytec one-again, it's larger, easy to install and keeps the temperature down.
4. 4x4parts was a good deal.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Why shims? The Titan uses threaded adjusters for the carrier bearings.
Hey you're right-when I had my installed I did ask if I needed shims and they said no as well.

I couldn't remember.:hi:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had mine recently rebuilt for $400 ($450 with Synthetic Fluid). Truetrac went in, I got the complete Yukon Gear rear diff rebuild kit ($180 on Ebay), Axle seals and spacers since it's all coming off anyway and there are known issues. I also ended up having to get a replacement ring and pinion since mine had damage, thats a bit tricky but I found the 3.36 gears at Arizona Differential and they shipped to me for under $200.

All thanks to bestatchess and TitanTalk, I got all the info on here.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Inland Truck Parts in Austin, TX. They did a good job and for a good price.

Reactions: TA CC TX

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you always need Races and Bearings? I am in Mass and all the shops I called had never installed a Truetrac on a Titan so I want to give them as much info as possible...thanks again guys!

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
Do you always need Races and Bearings? I am in Mass and all the shops I called had never installed a Truetrac on a Titan so I want to give them as much info as possible...thanks again guys!
Honestly you don't need new races and bearings but it's cheap enough
that you should replace them anyway while doing the truetrac.
It will save your mechanic the times of remove and transfer to
the truetrac, plus it might get damage during the removing process.

A few peoples have done the TT using their existing races and bearings
I got new one when I did mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts