Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a Tech 12 volt box off of another TT member. It has 2 10" Boston G1's but i dont have an amp. can i just get any amp and itll work? something like an 800 watt. ill be running it with the stock RF head unit and all. i dont know anything about amps. monoblock? 2 channel? can someone please help!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
more info is needed..

what impedance are the subs

Are you running an LOC?

you should pick up a mono block, but a 2 channel will suffice

Whatever you do dont buy a cheapo amp, get a known brand amp. Sundown, Rockford, JL etc. etc.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
•G1-10
•Speaker Size = 10"
•Rated RMS power handling = 200 watts
•Nominal Impedance = Dual 4-ohm/ Single 4-ohm
•Mounting Cutout Diameter = 9-1/4" (235mm)
•Mounting Depth = 4-3/4" (120mm)
•Linear Excursion = 1-3/4"
•Recommended Enclosure = 0.5ft³ (14.2 L) volume sealed
•1¾-inches of peak-to-peak excursion
•2-inch 4-layer voice-coil
•Radialvent® cooling, for increased power handling
•SureSet™ impedance selection and overdrive protection
•Multiple enclosures types and tuning options available
•Integral sealing gaskets simplify both standard and inverted

would a 1000 watt JL monowatt amp be too much? will it work? a buddy is selling one so if itll work i mids as well take it off his hands.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Which model do you have? Dual 4 or single 4?

If the jl amp is decently priced pick it up :D

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i donno! how does a guy tell?

·
Registered
179 Posts
A JL 1000 will blow those subs. It will give each sub 500w RMS which is over twice what they are rated for. Get a Alpine M450 if the Subs are wired @ 2
0hm which they should be. The Alpine gives out 400w RMS at 2 ohm and will match up nicely with those subs. The Alpine is also very small and will mount nicely under the driver seat, the JL will be way too big to mount under your seat. You can get the alpine for under a 100$ all day off E-bay.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
Is there two sets of inputs on your sub? Two positives and two negatives? If there is, then its dual. If not, its a single.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its a single. Only one pos input and one neg input on each sub. The guy who i bought these was running the Alpine PDX 750 watt amp monoblock.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about high wattage... I had this same 250 watt JL on my 10" JL sub and it was ok. That same amp is hooked up to two JL 12's and it hits pretty hard. Haven't got around to hookin' up my JL 500 watt yet

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Youll want an amp thatll put out its power at 2 ohm.... that jl amp will work fine just set the gain low

Dont worry about frying, overpowering your subs. U can blow those subs off rated power aswell. As long as you set everything correctly you wont have problems.

I personally would take a stronger amp. Saves you the hassle from needing to buy another down the road should you want up upgrade

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if i buy the JL 1000, how do i set the subs and the gain low?

·
Registered
179 Posts
if i buy the JL 1000, how do i set the subs and the gain low?
There is a gain knob on the amp. Set the subsonic filter at 15-20 hrz. Set the low pass filter at 80-100 hrz. Bass boost should be left off.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, also whats a LOC?

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
A "Line output converter". Basically just changes the signal to a usable signal for your amp, because stock headunits don't have a sub output. Somebody correct me if that's wrong

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i said to heck with it and bought a brand new amp,wiring kit ,LOC and had the shop install it all. 1000 watt amp. sounds unreal and im happy with the outcome! thanks for the help guys. i was planning on installing it my self to save a few dollars but didnt want to wreck anything so i had them do it!

·
Registered
179 Posts
well i said to heck with it and bought a brand new amp,wiring kit ,LOC and had the shop install it all. 1000 watt amp. sounds unreal and im happy with the outcome! thanks for the help guys. i was planning on installing it my self to save a few dollars but didnt want to wreck anything so i had them do it!
How much did they charge you for the install ??

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just over 100 for the install.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
I put in my 500 watt just now and dayummmmmm. Nothing like pissin' off the neighbors at 10 o'clock :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts