Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so just upgraded my audio setup

old system- 1200W Sony Xplod amp hooked to a capacitor powering a single 12" Rockford Fosgate P2

new system- same amp and cap but replaced the sub with 2 10" Kicker COMPVR

my sub will be running fine for about 5-10 min but then theyll turn off and then back on within 10 sec....so I get 15 seconds of bass and then 10 seconds no bass. When I had the old setup it would do this after about 30 min of music. Its almost like its running out of power and then charging back up.

Is this the capacitor?

·
Registered
198 Posts
It shouldn't be the cap. It just stores extra power and delivers it when big bass hits are demanded, otherwise it will only keep up as it cycles. It won't make the bass just cut out. That sounds more like a thermal protection circuit on the amp kicking in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Speaking from experience - I've had this amp. I had 2 kicker cvx 12's and after about 2 mins of pushing the subs my amp would turn off. I bought the amp from wal-mart and returned it 2 days after. Bought the lower model pioneer that was in the 700 watts region and it still did the same thing. Needless to say wal-marts amps are meant to push wal-mart subs. If you want good quality your going to have to buy a higher grade model or more reliable. A friend sold me a 2 JL w6's and a MA Audio 1200 watt amp and it's had 0 problems since on same wiring setup. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Sounds like what bluewaterrush said, thermal protector.. I had a similar problem a few years back in another truck with a kenwood amp which would do that, when I would run heavy bass with it it would cut out for a shot time then come back on. If you felt the amp it was actually getting really hot. it was mounted behind the seat on the rear wall, I moved it under the seat where there was more air flow and this helped out, it would still cut out on hot days. Sounds like your trying to push more power than it can handle. Try turning the gain down on the amp and see if it does the same.

·
Registered
19 Posts
local retailers over charge because they can. I mean, how many local audio shops do you know within an hour of each other. it's kinda like gas if your the only gas station with 50 miles of another you can blow up your prices.

Crutchfield on the otherhand just has good feedback and willing to work with customers. Usually when you buy your audio equipment you can easily froogle it and find a better deal. Other websites give you the 7-30 day service. If it ain't broke they ain't gonna take it back.

i've been ordering my audio stuff from amazon. They do a really good job on pricing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts