Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The T isn't startin like a new one in this colder weather. Anybody got any suggestions on a new battery? I know the optimas r good but they are a bit too pricey for my budget. Any help would be great.

·
Super Moderator
160,804 Posts
Duralast Gold from Autozone. Less than $100 and a 3 year replacement warranty.

·
Registered
356 Posts
i learned from a couple posts here about batteries that any battery you buy is from 1 of only 2 manufacturers that make all the batteries, so just find one in your price range that has the proper cca and a good replacement warranty-

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
Walmart everstarts are $75 and come with a 3yr free replacement.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Walmart everstarts are $75 and come with a 3yr free replacement.
... x2 .... and available 24/7... I had to replace mine at 2:00am and WalMart was the only place open... My original plan was to return it after buying a better one but as i looked more into it they are made by Interstate battery just like about everyone else so I went ahead and kept it then got one for wifey's car as well... It died at 2yrs on the date so I took it in at 10pm, swapped it out, no questions asked... Wifey's died right around at 2yrs too so I did the same with hers and I figure this is a "pay once for free lifetime replacements available 24/7" kinda deal. :rofl:

I bought Optima batteries for my TT and Boat... Don't know that I'd do it again.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Big Tow or non-Big Tow? That's makes a difference as they use different "groups" (refers to physical size and terminal orientation, the former applicable to the two Titan sizes). The non-BT has plenty of options like most vehicles; far fewer options for the BT.

I have a Big Tow and when I went to replace the battery I ended up with a DieHard International. Kind of odd, but short of ordering an Optima or similar, it was virtually my only option available locally on a shelf.

You can put the non-Big Tow group size in a Big Tow, it just won't fit in the battery pan securely without some cheesy "mods".

·
Super Moderator
160,804 Posts
The smaller batter simply isn't as long as the larger. Fit right in my tray, no mods.

·
Registered
315 Posts
if it just does it in the cold, cold weather then I wouldnt go out buying a new battery if not necessary. Are we talking barely cranking, or just a bit slower? Mine is a bit slower on any day below 30 degress, but it's fine otherwise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Having worked in the parts business a while... there are more than 1 or 2 companies that make batteries. Johnson Controls make some of the best batteries sold. Goto Autozone and get a Duralast Gold or SEARS and get a Diehard. The Duralast is the best bang-for-the-buck out there. stay away from Walmarts and Farm n Fleet = JUNK.

I've got a Duralast Gold in mine. It's the first thing I replaced when my truck came home. Trust me.

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
Having worked in the parts business a while... there are more than 1 or 2 companies that make batteries. Johnson Controls make some of the best batteries sold. Goto Autozone and get a Duralast Gold or SEARS and get a Diehard. The Duralast is the best bang-for-the-buck out there. stay away from Walmarts and Farm n Fleet = JUNK.

I've got a Duralast Gold in mine. It's the first thing I replaced when my truck came home. Trust me.
Well according to Consumer Reports Delphi,Exide and JOHNSON CONRTOLS make EverStart battery's for Walmart so saying Walmart battery's are junk would be saying Duralast battery's Are junk to. I can tell you that my wife's navigator has a Duralast and it died after 2 yrs of use and it got replaced under the 3yr warranty. When my cheap Everlast battery dies most likely within the 3yr warranty period ill take it out and replace it for free and get a whole new warranty for free...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Im interested in this as well because I will need to replace my battery SOON and I have a BT so hearing that I have less options are kind of disturbing.... I don't wanna spend too much on a battery....

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Brand or Manufacturer alone does not determine anything about Quality. Model or Features, Construction Technique does that.

·
Super Moderator
160,804 Posts
Brand or Manufacturer alone does not determine anything about Quality. Model or Features, Construction Technique does that.
...as is true with everything...your point being?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had to replace the battery in my T just a few months back. Happened while I was at lunch one day at work. I also went with a the EverStart battery @ Walmart. It was just shy of $100 and has a 3yr warranty. Plus they do the install for free. Laugh if you will, but if you don't have the tools with you when it dies, it can be a pain the rump. I'm very happy with my purchase, and would recommend to others.

On a side note, the factory battery supposedly had a 5 year warranty -- plainly stated on the battery. I called the Nissan dealership first and tried to get them to honor it. They basically said no dice, it was 3year/36k mile and to ignore the 5 year printed on the battery. Their stance was it don't apply if it came with the truck new, only if you buy a replacement battery. WTF? So I called another dealer to get the same answer. Since I have crafted a nastygram to send into Nissan USA, along with pictures. I am hopeful I get a refund of the Walmart battery but I'm not holding my breath. At the time, it p!ssed me royally off!!!

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I can't remember where I picked up my second battery, after the 3 yr mark, but I ended up paying around $75 after core exchange and have a Bosch replacement... I want to say I picked it up at Kragen (O'riley's)... As of late, with the temps in the 30-40 range at night, it has had a few slow cranks, so might be time for another battery swap as well. I am a fan of the inexpensive warranted batteries from Walmart and Autozone, have never had any problems with neither warranting them in the past with prior vehicles. As stated by many before, Walmart will do the labor for FREE, and FREE is always good in my book!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well according to Consumer Reports Delphi,Exide and JOHNSON CONRTOLS make EverStart battery's for Walmart so saying Walmart battery's are junk would be saying Duralast battery's Are junk to. I can tell you that my wife's navigator has a Duralast and it died after 2 yrs of use and it got replaced under the 3yr warranty. When my cheap Everlast battery dies most likely within the 3yr warranty period ill take it out and replace it for free and get a whole new warranty for free...

However... you must keep in mind that good 'ol Walmart:crying: has things made to their specifications so that they can sell them so cheaply and still maintain their GP. Like their Goodyear tires... made to Walmart:crying: specifications but made by Goodyear and I still wouldn't put them on my kids' wagon. Just my 2 cents.
When you look at the quality of a battery, as someone previously stated, you must look at what the plates are made of, how many plates are in there, the spacing of the plates, etc, etc.:eyebrow:
As for peoples batteries dieing within two years... I'm willing to bet that:
a: It wasn't a Gold series of Autozones
b: There were other issues with the vehicle that killed the battery (corroded cables for example.:hi:

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
However... you must keep in mind that good 'ol Walmart:crying: has things made to their specifications so that they can sell them so cheaply and still maintain their GP. Like their Goodyear tires... made to Walmart:crying: specifications but made by Goodyear and I still wouldn't put them on my kids' wagon. Just my 2 cents.
When you look at the quality of a battery, as someone previously stated, you must look at what the plates are made of, how many plates are in there, the spacing of the plates, etc, etc.:eyebrow:
As for peoples batteries dieing within two years... I'm willing to bet that:
a: It wasn't a Gold series of Autozones
b: There were other issues with the vehicle that killed the battery (corroded cables for example.:hi:
Your completely right but every car manufacturer does the same thing for the parts they put on the vehicles to keep the cost down. I guess what i was saying is that i have a 3yr 100% free replacement warranty from a store thats open 24hrs and are almost on every corner of the US so im hoping it does die before the 3 yrs is up so i can get a new one and new 3yr warranty all for the low price of $75... In AZ batterys tend to last for 2yrs and they are toast, just like my factory battery did and my wifes Duralast battery did.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts