Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and tried to find my specific topic but could not. A little background... I own a 2017 Titan SL, 4wd with 28k miles. I have only had a couple minor issues and the dealer has addressed them relatively promptly when I would take the truck in. I had the common blend door problem with the a/c this past August when the driver / passenger temps were significantly different. They replaced the blend door actuator and the problem has not reoccurred. Now to my current issue...

I drove home from work the other night and the outside temp was in the upper 30s in the Dallas area. I had the heat set (in manual) at 80 and it was comfortable for about half the ride. I noticed that I started to become uncomfortable so I adjusted the temp down to about 70... still too hot. I adjusted it down to 65 and it finally started to feel cooler but it was still uncomfortable. It was to the point of turning the system on and off in order to regulate the temp. The only way to get cool air was to go "full cold" (60 degrees), which removed the heat all together. When it was blowing the warmest air, it was physically uncomfortable on my hand when held up to the vent. I decided to go home to get my infrared thermometer and go for another drive. I didn't turn the truck off, I just continued my drive in an attempt to replicate the issue. I changed the temp selections to both hot and cold settings to try to get readings and different commanded temps. While set at 80 degrees, I registered a temperature of 171.5 coming out of the vents. I didn't go any higher than that because honestly, I was worried of some sort of damage to the truck. It was physically uncomfortable. It needs to be mentioned that this is an intermittent issue and the next day, it did not do this.

The Monday after Christmas I took it to Nissan and they kept it for the day. The service advisor told me he sold his Titan for the same reason and he warned me that I was likely to get the truck back without a fix. He said, honestly they don't know why they are doing this and it's a known issue. Sure enough, "could not duplicate, no further action". Even though I had pictures of my settings and the thermometer, they didn't want to see them. I asked what temperature range should I expect coming out of the vents, or better, when does the temperature become a safety issue? They couldn't or wouldn't tell me. My advisor said he's seen it as high as 135. I explained I had it at 171.5 and he just shrugged his shoulders. I called Nissan corporate and they were even less help. Two days later, same thing happened only it registered 193.5 at several different settings.

My question for the forum... has anybody had this issue? I was hoping maybe a tech (or someone more car savvy than me) would see this and either confirm I have an issue or this really isn't something to worry about. I can deal with a aggravating problem, however I'm worried about a safety issue... thinking of my kids being in the truck with me. First thing I think of is the damn thing catching on fire.

Thanks!

Josh

·
Registered
2020 Deep Blue Pearl Titan XD SV (Conv. Pkg, Utility Pkg, Texas Titan)
35 Posts
I've got a 2020 SV and when it's colder outside, like 30s-50s, it is hard to get it to a comfortable temperature. It blows warm air until I drop it down to about 62. I did make a post a few weeks back about it as well, but I didn't seem to get too many replies. I'm waiting for one dealership to fix a light rattle. Once that is done, I will bring it in to a closer dealership to look at it. Not expecting much from them though i guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Heilty. I'm honestly not expecting much either. Great trucks, outside of their climate control issues. Best of luck getting your issues addressed. Happy New Year!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts