Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i have an 08 titan pro 4x, ive been trying to do a lot of research to find performance upgrades. ive always been a sucker for anything with a turbo, but ive heard nothing but horrible things about it on a titan so i want to know every little possible thing about a supercharger and turbo on a titan. pros and cons. thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Both of those are nothing but trouble with these trucks so unless you want a big headache I wouldn't do either of them. Headers and Uprev would be a good choice.

·
Registered
21,015 Posts
They are far from awesome on a titan. Read the supercharger thread and search toomanymods. Between the two you'll really get an idea of why boost is a no no.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i like that a lot. my titan is lifted 6 inches but i could only fit 33s on it due to the front bumper. nit it still doesnt look bad. do you have an exhaust on it?

·
Registered
21,015 Posts
i like that a lot. my titan is lifted 6 inches but i could only fit 33s on it due to the front bumper. nit it still doesnt look bad. do you have an exhaust on it?
On my truck? Yes. There is a whole mod list laid out in my sig.

·
Registered
927 Posts
That sounds fishy, there are people with 2.5-3 inch level running 35's

·
Registered
21,015 Posts
That sounds fishy, there are people with 2.5-3 inch level running 35's
Some with spindles have had to shave the front bumper. Or major offset. :kiss:

·
Registered
581 Posts
I read enough to know turbo or super charger = trouble, thought about it for a while myself. these trucks are plenty powerful without it. Don't forget it is a truck. I tell everybody its a corvette with a truck body "like me". Look to uprev, and there are some guys running 13s, one I know of is in the 12 s naturally aspirated that's ka titan for you. not saying that's me , It was WickedV look into his mods. Friends don't let friends super charge their Titans.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
This is my opinion. If your going to do it, do it right and its going to cost you. Build the motor first. New Low comp pistons and built Con rods, bearings etc. stock crank is plenty strong. If your gonna boost it call jwt and talk to them about specking you a boost cam, and Don't just settle for one of there shelf cams they can and will spec out anything. New springs,valves,and buckets. That will hold at least 650-700hp at the wheels.

Build the trans COMPLETELY, and work with a legit tuner to map out expected torque values. Build the rear end with a trutrac, stronger then stock gears, trac bars. If you decide you want a SC don't get a stillen unit its junk and doesn't make power and gets way to hot. Try the rotex or get in contact with other companies and have something custom built. A front mount turbo would be ideal!!! You wont find much info on that, but its been done just not in the states. A few more little things will need to be done, but that's the major hurdle.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Return on investment is not there.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Return on investment is not there.
Depends on what your looking for. If your just looking for an extra 90hp you would be right. If your looking for shock and awe the return is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Put the money that any s/c kit or turbo kit for a Titan costs into a Chevy gasser or any diesel and you will easily have a low 11 or high 10 sec truck.

With the Titan you get headaches and heartaches.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
see I'm with wickd on this, we're not talking Chevy, were talking Titan, there platform is much older and had r&d out the *** on it, the vk is a strong engine just not coupled with the right parts. to get what u want ur gonna have to spend 15-20k just to do it right but u could have a monster that could be a test platform for future endeavors. if I have it one day I'll do it but make sure u don't think it's gonna be cheap.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I understand and respect the different points of views, but if you're talking about spending $20k plus the cost of the truck to hope to get a 12 sec truck, it doesn't add up.

With the setup that I have now, the truck should be a mid to low 12 sec truck. As we all know, it's not the hardware that hinders the boosted trucks, it is the software.

Uprev tunes 1 out 7 computers that make up the Nissan CAN system. If one of the computers detects anything that the algorithms cannot account for, the truck will not perform as it should.

We have seen the VK56 put in other platforms and once liberated from the CAN system outperform most V8 engines on the market.

You do not need to spend $20k to have a boosted Titan run what we think they should. We need someone to go with a standalone ECU. MoTec and Syvecs sound good to me.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
see I'm with wickd on this, we're not talking Chevy, were talking Titan, there platform is much older and had r&d out the *** on it, the vk is a strong engine just not coupled with the right parts. to get what u want ur gonna have to spend 15-20k just to do it right but u could have a monster that could be a test platform for future endeavors. if I have it one day I'll do it but make sure u don't think it's gonna be cheap.
To your point, if I win the Powerball, I will do a SAS, swap the tranny and get a Chevy big block.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts