Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after gathering some info. about Superchips, I was wondering if it really is worth it for me. I have a 04' BT 4X4 w/ the 2* timing advance, AEM, cat-back exahust, TB spacer. What I have gathered is that the Superchips compensates for the 2* timing advance and takes away the WOT restriction (15mph opposed to 40mph for the 2wd). Is there anything else I'm missing? I could see if I had a 2wd (WOT restriction @ 40mph and no 2* timing advance) getting the Superchips. But, Is there gonna be that much of a gain over what I have already (nice feel of the pants test)? I just want to make sure it's worth the $200 or so for a used one. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
I'll probably not be much help since I've not tried the Superchips, but I did have the Hypertech before getting the Bully Dog GT. With then Hypertech I saw a 1mpg increase in fuel, but it didn't have the 2 degree advance, so I sold it and bought the BDGT. I never got my 1 mpg back with the BDGT, and really can't tell too much of a difference between the two tuners in power after taking away the WOT. Is the WOT removal worth $200? That's your real question and one that I can't answer for you. For me, yes it was and is worth it. My truck leaps off the line now which I love, but before it jumped off the line because it's a T, so really...

It's something that you have to decide for yourself. Keep trolling the forums. Someone is always selling a tuner for less than new. Don't buy a new one. If you don't like it or think it's not worth the money after buying one, come back and sell it. Someone will always buy it from you.

Once again, my 2 cents which is probably not worth 2 cents to you.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
So after gathering some info. about Superchips, I was wondering if it really is worth it for me. I have a 04' BT 4X4 w/ the 2* timing advance, AEM, cat-back exahust, TB spacer. What I have gathered is that the Superchips compensates for the 2* timing advance and takes away the WOT restriction (15mph opposed to 40mph for the 2wd). Is there anything else I'm missing? I could see if I had a 2wd (WOT restriction @ 40mph and no 2* timing advance) getting the Superchips. But, Is there gonna be that much of a gain over what I have already (nice feel of the pants test)? I just want to make sure it's worth the $200 or so for a used one. Thanks for any help.
With my CAI and catback, I saw a .321 second 1/4 mile track difference running with and without a BDPP. My 2WD Titan never had a 40 MPH WOT restiction, more like 20 MPH. I Hope that helps with your decision.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
YES;) I'll never drive an un-tuned car/truck again!

Reactions: tuffmag

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies. My main concern was that having a 4X4, the WOT restriction in at 15mph instead of 40mph on the 2X2. I have a 04' so the BDGT is outta the question. It's pretty much the Superchips.

It has been said that you can adjust for a 2* timing advance (but I already had that done by the dealership). Why is it that to add the 2* timing advance on the Superchips, you need to run higher octane? I remove the WOT restriction (Superchips), but does it make THAT much of a difference? Milage isn't a concern to me. It goes to E and I fill it up. That's the extent of milage control for me.:bangit:

I guess it will come down to finding one used and seeing if it's really worth it (seat of the pants) for me. Is there anything else I'm missing that the Superchips can offer?

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I have the superchips and I think but I'm not positive the way they do their tunes you must run higher octane or risk getting a knock with the 2 degree timing advance. So that is why it isn't an option with the 87/91 tune. I don't know why and it could be just my truck but I swear I have more power with the 87 tune and no timing advance than I do with the 93 +2 timing. I know it makes no sense technically but that is what I have noticed and I've been playing with superchip tunes for about a year.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I've run 87 and 93 tunes and 93 is way faster. That's all I run now and I cannot imagine what it would be like to drive my truck without a tuner now...it drives me absolutely nuts when I have to go to the dealership because I tune it back down to stock and I feel like it can't get out of it's own way.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I've run 87 and 93 tunes and 93 is way faster. That's all I run now and I cannot imagine what it would be like to drive my truck without a tuner now...it drives me absolutely nuts when I have to go to the dealership because I tune it back down to stock and I feel like it can't get out of it's own way.
I know what you mean....LOL You ever track tested the 93 vs the 87? My 93 with superchips was .1 faster than the 87 tune so looks like your truck runs like mine:)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Best bang for your buck IMHO... If you don't agree it will easily and quickly sell in the "For Sale" section. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. I'm like Deerslayer, i won't own a vehicle again that i can't buy a tune or tuner for.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I also have a 04 4wd and just picked up a used flashpaq from another member.Tried the 87 first was impressed then the 93 with +2 advance and WOW.You'll love it.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Your mods are a lot like mine, and YES, you will notice a difference with Superchips :D.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Also I thought with the sc you have the ability ti change shift points? Idk that for a fact cuz i have the pp but i read up on the cortex and i thought thats what it said.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies. It does sound like a good investment (especially if I can find one in the buy/sell). I would only be able to run the 87 octane flash because 91 octane is all I can find in Hawaii.

I'm pretty sure the Superchips doesn't touch the shift points. If it did that, I wouldn't even be asking. It'd be in the truck already.

The hunt begins.:eyebrow:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. It does sound like a good investment (especially if I can find one in the buy/sell). I would only be able to run the 87 octane flash because 91 octane is all I can find in Hawaii.

I'm pretty sure the Superchips doesn't touch the shift points. If it did that, I wouldn't even be asking. It'd be in the truck already.

The hunt begins.:eyebrow:
I believe you can actually change the shift points if you do advanced tuning, although I never messed with that feature. And they also have a 91 performance tune in addition the the 87 and 93 performance tunes.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe you can actually change the shift points if you do advanced tuning, although I never messed with that feature. And they also have a 91 performance tune in addition the the 87 and 93 performance tunes.
But you can't run a 2* timing advance unless you run the 93 correct? I just want to make sure that the 87 or 91 tune is that much better than a 2* timing advance (which I already have). I just want to make sure the $200 or so for the used flash pack is gonna be really worth it. I'm deciding between a body lift or this.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Yes the 87 tune with the WOT restriction removed will make you forget all about that 2* advance i promise you. No comparison in my book. It would be nice to have both but then you can always add some premium 93 fuel and advance it yourself with the 93 tune installed. Heck you can advance it to 3* if it floats your boat.

·
Registered
74 Posts
For $200 you will not regret buying the tuner. Get it and if you do not like it, it will sell very easily on this site.
But I think you will like it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Doesn't one of the Superchips tunes advance the timing as part of the program? I had thought so. But maybe not.

Yes, it's definitely worth the money! Just got mine and I love it. Still haven't even tried all the programs. But I'd be happy with just the one I have tried. If you only do one mod, this is the one.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
well worth it, its a different truck with a programmer. i only can buy 91 octane around here and have messed with all of the tuning options on the cortex. i still run the 93 octane tune with a 2* advance on 91 octane gas, no pinging never has and no problems. its far faster than the 87 or 91 tunes as well...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts