Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys have a question when the front end of my Titan especially right side hits a small bump or drop at say 15-20 mph there's a loud pop or clunk when the wheel drops ? I've checked for coil bucket contact but don't see any sign of it . HELP

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Sounds like CBC, so I suspect you just didn't see the evidence when you looked. Of it were CV joints, it would happen on flat ground when you turned sharp. If it were steering linkage, you'd hear and feel it more often. I'd bet the farm it's CBC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't had this problem on my Titan, but had exactly this problem with my 2013 Armada. Turned out to be the sway bar link was worn out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sway bar links are good. With truck sitting in driveway I can put my finger between the uca and coil bucket so how can I still have cbc

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
When you hit a bump, the droop and rebound will cause the arm to whack the bucket. If you has your finger in there when that happened, you wouldn't have much finger left. Sitting still in the driveway is not how you check this. Look at the coil bucket lip. I bet there's a mark on it where the arm is striking it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ball joints?

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
lift the front of your truck up off the ground, see where your UCA's are sitting, one finger width while your truck is sitting on the ground is not nearly enough travel space. I would bet that when your truck is up in the air and your suspension is allowed to be at full droop, your UCA is sitting on the coil bucket. Other wise, worn out sway bar bushings, end links, or blown strut are all potential "clunk" causes. You don't provide any information about your truck so a little hard to determine. Any spacers added? 2wd or 4wd? how old? how many miles? any other work done on it? etc, etc etc

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Betting on bad shocks. Especially if OEM. If I remember right the rebound control in the OEM shock lets go first and the thunk is the piston hitting the bottom of the shock body on rebound. If he is stock he shouldn't be getting CBC unless something is really worn out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2.5 in lift from procomp 180 degree shocks. I ground the lip on the coil bucket plenty of travel when I go over speed humps that are usually 4 ft wide and about 6 in tall no clunk smooth but when there is a very quick drop say 1 in that's when you hear the clunk

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
I bet on coilbucket contact, typically anything over 2" on a 2wd is going to cause it and 1.5" on 4wd. If it is happening when your suspension drops, that is a key indicator of CBC.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Best bet is to look for contact marks. CBC is pretty easy to see

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looked for CBC marks and there aren't any went down road with a lot of ups and down rough pavement making vehicle bounce up and down and side to side never heard cbc running about 40 mph

1 - 13 of 13 Posts