Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2018 Titan SV since late spring and I love(d) everything about it throughout the NH summer and fall on good roads. It is now winter, our roads are getting torn up by snow plows and I am finding that the suspension downright sucks. On a recent trip to upstate NY, I hit a few large potholes on the highway and if I wasn't paying attention or there was snow on the road, I would have lost control as the truck literally bounced into the next lane. I am wondering if this is a common issue for the SV suspension and what my options to remedy it are? I commute 45 miles each way and can see this becoming an issue as the roads are only going to get worse. I am not opposed to leveling or even a 3" lift; however, I don't want to void the 100/150k warranty and am hesitant to spend the $5k for the Nissan approved icon lift installed at dealership. Any an all input is welcome as I have a very basic knowledge of vehicles. Also, I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere on the forum; however, after researching it, I am finding very little on my year and model but a lot on XD and Pro-4x.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't think I've ever driven a pickup that felt really well planted on rough roads with an empty bed. The rear is sprung to handle some weight, and will settle a bit if there is some weight back there. I throw a couple of bags of limestone screenings in the back right over the axle for the winter. Has the added benefit of having grit handy if you get stuck on an icy patch.

If you want to get higher tech, talk to a suspension shop about adjustable shocks and variable rate leaf spring packs to soften things up a bit when empty.

My SV is a bit jumpy on the holes, and feels like it is jumping considerably, but in reality it barely moves. Just drove several hundred miles home in crappy weather over rough roads and really never felt at all like I did not have full control over the vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would usually throw a few bags of sand in the bed for added weight and traction; however, this felt more like the front was bouncing around like it was on balloon tires. This is my first full size truck, having previously owned three Tacomas and two Jeep Wranglers, so maybe I am comparing apples and oranges.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you were OK during the Summer and just started noticing ride and handling issues, I recommend at least checking the tire pressures (you can even do this on your dash display after a few hundred feet of driving). The recommended pressures from the owner's manual are as follows:

Cold Tire Inflation Pressures

Front Original Tire:

265/70R18 270 kPa, 39 psi
P265/70R18 250 kPa, 36 psi
P275/60R20 250 kPa, 36 psi
P275/70R18 240 kPa, 35 psi
LT245/75R17 450 kPa, 65 psi
LT275/65R18 450 kPa, 65 psi
LT265/60R20 450 kPa, 65 psi

Rear Original Tire:
265/70R18 270 kPa, 39 psi
P265/70R18 250 kPa, 36 psi
P275/60R20 250 kPa, 36 psi
P275/70R18 240 kPa, 35 psi
LT245/75R17 500 kPa, 73 psi
LT275/65R18 450 kPa, 65 psi
LT265/60R20 480 kPa, 70 psi

If your pressures are OK, inspect, or get your suspension inspected. The truck should be in control unless something is amiss.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pressures are good; however, I did change from the 20" chrome wheels with Bridgestone Duelers (275/60/20) it came with to 18" Fuel Wheels with BFG AT's (275/70/18) a d had it aligned. That didn't seem to change any ride quality on good roads even today. Its the beat up roads that make the truck bounce around. I am due for oil change and will have them check the suspension at that time. I am beginning to lean toward dishing out the $5k and having the 3" Icon lift installed by dealer without warranty issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts