Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, Originally I installed my NCD lvl kit myself. I love the appearance of the truck, Love my bigger tires and the agressive look of the truck. But even since the installed I have had suspension noise, and im VERY ocd about noise coming from my truck. I dont mind a loud exhaust, but man I cannot stand rattles and clunk and BS.

Alright, so today I installed a set of Energy Suspension bumpstops. Part #9.9101R thinking it was my problem. WRONG! During the installed I see some minor scars on my control arm where its contacting my coil bucket.:bangit:

So this is the last straw for me, time to get serious and make some changes and get this truck back to riding like a caddy!

First thing first, I had placed an order for a set of 4 bilstein HD's for all 4 corners. Today I got a phone call from the place I ordered and they said it would be near a month before I could get them. This is not an option so I cancelled my order. But now with my coil bucket contact im debating on going with the 5100 series struts and shocks at all 4 corners. Then also adding a set of Rough Country A-arms along with my 1.5" spacer.

now my question is, in near stock form with 5100 series struts and shocks will i still be sitting level with the struts at the softest and lowest setting? Or will I need to add a 1" block in the rear to even it back out?

Also, anyone know who has the 5100 series struts and shicks in stock right now? Im ready to buy them so I can get my ride quality back.

truck sees minor off road trails, no mudding or hard running. minor towing on occasion...

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
The bottom spring perch of the 5100 is higher than stock and provides 1/2" of preload lift, so you might want to add a 1" block, but that will give you 1/2" of rake.

What I would do, (on an '06 2wd), is sell or trade the 2.5" leveling kit for a 2", then with 5100's on the lower setting you should have about the same stance as you do now, and probably not have the bucket contact. That way you wouldn't need an aftermarket UCA, or a rear block. The 5100 rears are supposed to ride better than the HD rears, so that's a plus too.

Or get a PRG 1.5" level kit and set the 5100's to the middle perch for about 1/2" more lift than now and no bucket contact, but a little firmer ride, and a 1" rear block, and the PRG drop shackle set on -1/2", (that will keep you from having the stock shackle from breaking the spot welds and letting the leaf pack shoot up through the bed). You can also set them on 0" drop, or run a weld bead on the OEM if you are staying at 0 drop.

Btw, you can grind U shapes into the coil bucket lip, spray paint, look for new nicks after a couple of speed bumps, repeat. I used a Dremel tool with a grinding stone on mine, but even the sanding barrels will work for smaller jobs.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Guess i could always go 5100's out back and HD's in the front, this way I keep my truck level.

The more I think about it, if I needed to add a small amount of lft in the rear I would probably go with the C-10 deaver's and the proper shackles.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
The more I think about it, if I needed to add a small amount of lft in the rear I would probably go with the C-10 deaver's and the proper shackles.
That is what I did. It improved the ride quite a bit in addition to controlling axle wrap. The only reservation might be if you tow or haul heavy cuz it replaces the overload leaf.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im thinking I will go with the 5100's on all 4 corners, along with the RC UCA's and my NCD 2.5" kit. Will give me right at the same lif the RC leveling kit does with a better ride then im getting now. my stock units are almost gone and the ride is really suffering. All im worried about is the rear being lower than the front, but im thinking it will be about right.

I already ordered a set of front brake rotors and ceramic pads from ebay, I went ahead and got the crossdrilled deals with pads for $150 shipped. If I like them I will get the rear matching set. Also will probably go ahead and get the SS brake lines and some Speedbleeders all at the same time to complete the install. Should be like a new truck after its all said and done...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Talked with Shock Warehouse yesterday and they have the 5100 series rears and the HD front in stock. So I went that route, then if I still get coilbucket contact I will eventually go with the RC 3" lvl'ing kit.

Also ordered some speedbleeders, and a set of the Ebay crossdrilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads.

Next on the list...Spark plugs...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts