Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if the suspension forum is the place to ask this. But what are the advantages of sway bar removal. Have read threads regarding this and all who have done it say they love the results. Are there any dangers in removing the sway bar?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Allows more play in the front suspension, the front end of the cab will swing around a bit more. Makes for a fun ride when doing 50mph on the turnpike on the highway! :)

So yes, the dangers are it allows your truck to be more prone to tipping as there is no stabilization between the front right and left wheels.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
It isn't recommended for stock, or replacement struts that use stock coils. It works for the stiffer high end coils that come on the 2.5" body coilovers such as the SAWs, Radflo, and Icon's that are available at PRGproducts.com. After flipping the hat on my DRE/Icon coilovers my sway bar turned and rubbed on the tires when turning into a parking spot. So I took the stock end links off and zipped tied the swaybar up out of the way, and ordered the PRG stock replacement end links, which were in stock and came the next day, (I'm only 2 hrs. away, my Radflo rear shocks only took one day to get here too).

But I tried it for a couple of weeks while I was waiting for an opportunity to install the PRG swaybar end links. It was alright but I drive a lot of very curvy roads and prefer the feel of the sway bar. Maybe with a higher spring rate on the coils I would have liked it. Idk.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Or if you are running the Bilstein 5100s with preload...maybe...? :)

It isn't recommended for stock, or replacement struts that use stock coils. It works for the stiffer high end coils that come on the 2.5" body coilovers such as the SAWs, Radflo, and Icon's that are available at PRGproducts.com. After flipping the hat on my DRE/Icon coilovers my sway bar turned and rubbed on the tires when turning into a parking spot. So I took the stock end links off and zipped tied the swaybar up out of the way, and ordered the PRG stock replacement end links, which were in stock and came the next day, (I'm only 2 hrs. away, my Radflo rear shocks only took one day to get here too).

But I tried it for a couple of weeks while I was waiting for an opportunity to install the PRG swaybar end links. It was alright but I drive a lot of very curvy roads and prefer the feel of the sway bar. Maybe with a higher spring rate on the coils I would have liked it. Idk.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Maybe so, but I don't know if preloading the coil is equivalent to increasing the spring rate, even though they get firmer. But maybe '08+ coils being longer, would be a little better than the older Titan's coils if used on the 5100's since they would have to get more compressed to fit in the same space.

I think the main thing would be to gradually build up to tougher curves, and see if it is on the brink of loss of control. Then if you like it keep it that way, and permanently remove the bar, and if you don't like it, order some PRG links.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
When I first removed my sway bar, it felt weird taking sweeping curves and feeling the truck lean, but since having driven it without the sway bar for so long, I prefer not having it... of course, like NorCal said, having beefier coils and shocks, along with wider stance wheels and tires will improve the ride a lot as well...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Man... I have Stillen's front and rear anti-sway bars and love them. I take turns a bit hard sometimes so not having them for me would be insane. Just don't make any sharp turns... LOL Are you going to lift your Titan or something?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man... I have Stillen's front and rear anti-sway bars and love them. I take turns a bit hard sometimes so not having them for me would be insane. Just don't make any sharp turns... LOL Are you going to lift your Titan or something?
Nah not trying to lift. I have a 2 in level with wider tires on 20 inch wheels. Just put bilstein hd's on so i have a solid sturdy stance i think. I remember reading somewhere that sway bar removal really improved the feel of the ride on the highway. a smoother ride i think was what it said

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have had my sway bar removed for about a week right after I installed my Bilstein 5100's on the middle perch. It is definitely a different feel to it, but I wouldn't call it dangerous. It leaned more on turns, but I got used to it pretty quickly. It really smoothed the ride out when hitting a pot hole with one tire or turning out of driveways. Although it was smoother on the highway as well, I did not like the boat like feeling while driving on the freeway so I reinstalled the bar with new bushings.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I think I may remove mine, I hate the bump steer you get from the sway bar plus when going over rough terrain it sucks with it on. My stance is wide enough I think I will be quite alright with 325's and a -12 offset.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I believe you will like it, I'm running a similar wheel set up and she handles great around curves. I'm running 18x9 4.5 BS wheels with 325 tires, and I'm sure the Bilstein 5100s front and back help as well. Its not bad at all, just a tad bit more body roll around corners. I'm at about 4.5"-5" of lift right now.

I think I may remove mine, I hate the bump steer you get from the sway bar plus when going over rough terrain it sucks with it on. My stance is wide enough I think I will be quite alright with 325's and a -12 offset.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have had my sway bar removed for about a week right after I installed my Bilstein 5100's on the middle perch. It is definitely a different feel to it, but I wouldn't call it dangerous. It leaned more on turns, but I got used to it pretty quickly. It really smoothed the ride out when hitting a pot hole with one tire or turning out of driveways. Although it was smoother on the highway as well, I did not like the boat like feeling while driving on the freeway so I reinstalled the bar with new bushings.
Good to know about the smoothed out ride. Thinking more and more of taking mine off

·
Registered
777 Posts
I just removed it earlier and I feel little difference in body roll. The bushings were worn pretty bad so that probably didn't help the sway bar out much. It does ride a lot smoother over bumps that both tires hit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts