Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as you guys can see i'm in the middle of doing my suspension lift and i've been doing alot of research here and i've been seeing this topic come up quite a bit as i'm looking to get some end links from PRG. why are people removing them completely? i've read some people like it that way, some people not? isn't this a safety concern especially lifted 6" or more? appreciate if people can chime in on this topic as i'll keep doing some more research! thanks'!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so i took this quote but this post was from awhile back. thinking about giving it a try but wondering if the new Bilstein/Moog 4x4 coils combo would make a difference?

well last saturday i was slow at work so i took my truck into the shop and removed the sway bar and drove about 150 miles and let me tell you it rides smoother than before and i dont have the rear of the truck trying to get out of line as much on the freeway when i hit a bump, and it does handle better on turns and doesnt really lean all that much more than with it on. you can definately tell when one wheel hits a bump its not trying to fight the other wheel when it moves because the swaybar is no longer holding the two together. i have cst spindle lift, dr. coilovers, 2.5 deaver, 2" block, bilsteins on 35" hankook dynapro's.:cheers:

·
Registered
21,015 Posts
A lot of people ditch it to gain more independent articulation between the front two tires. If the sway bar is still attached, it will try to keep both tires in contact with the ground and articulating at the same rate. So, you are kind of limiting how much flex you can get. It's mainly just different strokes for different folks. Those that run coilovers get more use out of their coilovers by removing it for the same reasons. It's kind of like owning a Ferrari and only getting it up to 20 mph...pointless IMO :lol: When it comes to a 6" kit, you'll notice more body roll without the sway bar, but I got used to it on the highway and roads. Where it really mattered was offroad.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot of people ditch it to gain more independent articulation between the front two tires. If the sway bar is still attached, it will try to keep both tires in contact with the ground and articulating at the same rate. So, you are kind of limiting how much flex you can get. It's mainly just different strokes for different folks. Those that run coilovers get more use out of their coilovers by removing it for the same reasons. It's kind of like owning a Ferrari and only getting it up to 20 mph...pointless IMO :lol: When it comes to a 6" kit, you'll notice more body roll without the sway bar, but I got used to it on the highway and roads. Where it really mattered was offroad.
thanks for the response! from the search i got it seemed like a lot of people loved the ride a lot more after removing the sway bar. i wanted to know before i order those PRG end links lol! would the rears need to be removed too or just the fronts?

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Titans don't have rear sway bars, I ran without mine sway bar for about 4 years, there is definitely a difference in how the truck rides, personal preference.

·
Registered
559 Posts
As PaPro said^^^, it's really a matter of truck usage and preference.

Off road: max travel and independent articulation favors no sway bar. Cornering stability comes from the coil-overs. That's why aftermarket LCAs such as the Dirt King units (used in their mid-travel kit) have no provision for sway bar attachment.

High-speed corning for a road-only truck favors sway bar(s). I can't speak definitively for your 2WD, but my Pro4X has no rear sway bar, and I don't see one in the parts diagrams for a 2008 2WD.

I see you (OP) have a thread asking about traction bars. May be of interest, traction bars aren't always recommended for similar reasons. Max articulation may favor no traction bars, if you are running something like the Deaver spring packs. On road, different answer.

You may wnat to chat with Nick at Dirt King Fab - he's a great resource - although it sounds like you are on a road-only plan, in which case, keep going... PRG, CVTitan05, Dirt King Fab or other aftermarket end links should work well.

Keep us posted!

Reactions: LSturbointeg

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Off road: max travel and independent articulation favors no sway bar. Cornering stability comes from the coil-overs. That's why aftermarket LCAs such as the Dirt King units (used in their mid-travel kit) have no provision for sway bar attachment.

High-speed corning for a road-only truck favors sway bar(s). I can't speak definitively for your 2WD, but my Pro4X has no rear sway bar, and I don't see one in the parts diagrams for a 2008 2WD.

I see you (OP) have a thread asking about traction bars. May be of interest, traction bars aren't always recommended for similar reasons. Max articulation may favor no traction bars, if you are running something like the Deaver spring packs. On road, different answer.

You may wnat to chat with Nick at Dirt King Fab - he's a great resource - although it sounds like you are on a road-only plan, in which case, keep going... PRG, CVTitan05, Dirt King Fab or other aftermarket end links should work well.

Keep us posted!
appreciate the info! i thought maybe i needed the traction bars to prevent axle wrap or what not. are you saying i may not need them? like i mentioned, there's pretty much no offroading out here in OHIO as it's pretty much flat. not a whole lot of lifted trucks out here because of it. the only dirt i'll be seeing is a driveway probably lol!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Nope, not saying anything against traction bars. They work. For a road-only vehicle, it sounds like you are on the right track. Sorry if I confused the situation.

I was just pointing out that for max articulation/travel in an off-road situation, using beefed up springs, the need is different. Suspension tuning is complex.

That's why our forum real experts, like Nick at Dirt King Fab, or Greg at PRG, or the forum members who are running their trucks on the drag strip, etc are invaluable resources.

As I said, keep going... and keep us posted!

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I have a 10" lift with the stage 2 procomp coilovers, and i ran without the sway bar for a few months, I did like how it rode, but the body roll was too much for me, the taller you get, the more body roll there is.

·
Registered
14,137 Posts

Keep us posted!
traction bars are fine unless you're running more then ~15" of rear travel. which no is unless they have a bedcage/shocks through the bed or a cantilever kit, which i know of one titan that has it, and my buddy is going to build one on a titan. stock rear travel is like 9" :devil:

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Yeah i have traction bars and they limit absolutely 0 flex. They are designed to work WITH the suspension, not against it.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
If you plan on doing the 6" lift and don't launch off the line or barrel into corners, you will be fine without the sway and traction bars. If you drive like a d$ck like me and like to mash the peddle, your axel wrap will eventually cause your trans mount to break and the cornering will be ultra sketchy. Unless your truck will spend more than 50% of the time off road and it doesn't appear it will, I suggest you leave it on.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Appreciate all the advice guys!

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Just don't be going around a curve on the throttle and then abruptly let off the throttle without the sway bar attached... It gets pretty violent... Yeah, and the way I like to drive my truck like a racecar... I can't go without the front sway bar - Or BB wouldn't be long for this world... NOT an option.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, looks like i'll keep the sways on but any recommendations for end links since i'm worried about ordering from PRG?

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
I ordered some from Greg and got them in just a couple days... Evan is pretty good at filling orders. Shouldn't be a problem...

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ordered some from Greg and got them in just a couple days... Evan is pretty good at filling orders. Shouldn't be a problem...
just recently? i need to order PRG cam bolts and end links

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
I bought some new endlinks last fall, I believe...

Yeah, if it's a stock item they have shelved, it goes out pretty quickly.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
I bought some endinks from PRG a couple weeks back, had them in 4 days

Reactions: LSturbointeg
1 - 20 of 25 Posts