Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father-in-law loves my Titan. He's looking to buy a truck, and loves the swing tailgate on Honda's Ridgeline. Does anyone know if there is a swing tailgate conversion for the Titan?

·
Registered
6,053 Posts

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
Guess he better buy the Ridgeline!!

The design of the Ridgeline comes from 60's and 70's Station Wagons!

It allows the door/tail gate to open from the side, or drop down.

You may be able to find and old station wagon, and with a little work.......

·
Registered
134 Posts
That swing feature would be nice... If someone finds a way I'd try it. And the Ridgeline is a great truck... if you idea fun is antiquing with the wifee.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I'm not picturing any practicle use for a swinging tailgate, other than to make it easier to open, and the Titan already has the Tailgate Assist....

There was a post on a new tailgate with a spare tire mount on it and I beleive it swings open. So I'm sure it can be done.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Justintoxicated said:
There was a post on a new tailgate with a spare tire mount on it and I beleive it swings open. So I'm sure it can be done.
See response # 1 in this thread.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Justintoxicated said:
I'm not picturing any practicle use for a swinging tailgate, other than to make it easier to open, and the Titan already has the Tailgate Assist....
How about better for reaching in to get something out.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
BuckyBadger said:
That would be nice, but remember, these ARE trucks aren't they??? Not mom's grocery getter.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I'm not sure where you live. But there is a custom shop here in So.Cal that does custom opening tailgates among a million other crazy things. They have done a Titan with a custom tailgate that opens in the middle like barn doors and another truck with a similar tailgate but much more extreme. Their website is deviouscustoms.com

This pic shows an extreme version but gives you an idea of the quality of work they do:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
BuckyBadger said:
fair enough, never thought about that, although, anything heavy I alwayse get in the truck bed first anyways and move it to the edge of the tailgate and slide it off. But I can see your point, it might help a bit if you had a bed cover. But I put groceries in the backseat not in the bed anyways ;)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I would think twice about committing to a conversion. The length and weight of the tailgate will put a fair amount of leverage onto the side hinges and in time, you will run into latch alignment problems. I remember those old 60's and 70's station wagons,where the rear swing doors needed to be lifted up when closing just to get it to latch right. Is it really worth the trouble?

·
Registered
691 Posts
redpickemuptruck said:
That swing feature would be nice... If someone finds a way I'd try it. And the Ridgeline is a great truck... if you idea fun is antiquing with the wifee.

you know what i cant stand...when people say the Ridgeline is a truck, it isn't it is a SUV (honda pilot)

·
Registered
190 Posts
They still sell the Ridgeline??? lol I thought they would of disscontinued production cuz I hardly see ANY of them on the road so sales must be really low.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ya know, the swinging/drop tailgate and the in-bed cooler were the only 2 things I really liked about the Fridgeline. (Yes, I looked at them....No, i'm not ghey or retired, NTTAWWT :D).
Cheers, Lee S.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Justintoxicated said:
fair enough, never thought about that, although, anything heavy I alwayse get in the truck bed first anyways and move it to the edge of the tailgate and slide it off. But I can see your point, it might help a bit if you had a bed cover. But I put groceries in the backseat not in the bed anyways ;)
Thats why the bottom of the seats have grocerie bag hooks.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Rick Guess said:
you know what i cant stand...when people say the Ridgeline is a truck, it isn't it is a SUV (honda pilot)
Amen brutha

A honda salesman was leaning against one in a showroom talking to us and i asked him when honda was gunna make a truck. He looked so confused! I said. "thats not a truck i dont know what that is"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts