Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and gals i use Valvoline Syn Power 10W30 on my Titan as it is right now. But wanted to maybe switch to Mobil 1 synthetic, and was wondering if its better to switch over or is what I'm using good already? And yes the Valvoline I'm using is full synthetic so ill just be switching to another synthetic so wanted to see if there would be a prob doing so. My truck mileage is 41k so not to old. And yea one more question how long do i keep using 10w30? and what is next after 10w30 if i have to switch oil weigh?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I've gone between different brands, weights, synthetics, conventional, many times, although I mostly run M1, with no issues whatsoever. In fact I had some M1 and M1 SUV left over from previous changes, and mixed them this last change, and the Titan runs fine. I'd be far more concerned adding some type of flushing chemical into my engine, and never would.

The recommended weight is 5w-30, but if you are in mild temperatures 10w30 is fine.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i was ify about adding a flush since usually flushes don't sound good to begin with lol.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you are concerned about changing from one brand to another you can do the change and run the new oil for a few 1500 miles or so and then change it again with the new oil.

I'm with Norcal though as I too have gone between types and brands with seemingly decent results. That said I generally like to stick with the synthetic since I only change every 5,000 miles. For the last year or so I've been running M1 synthetic.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You could add Sea Foam to your oil. The website recommends adding about a 1/3 of the can to the oil. Here is a FAQ speaking about just that:

The most frequently asked question about using Sea Foam is as follows: “After using Sea Foam in my oil, fuel, or through the vacuum line (to clean carbon from the combustion chamber) do I need to change my oil?” The short answer is: No you don’t have to change your oil after using Sea Foam in any application.

When using Sea Foam in your fuel or through the vacuum line for carbon cleaning your oil does not need to be changed. Using Sea Foam in your oil, at 1 ½ ounces per quart, is a safe way to clean a crankcase, free up rings or free up sticky lifters as you drive. Sea Foam is not a chemical engine flush and therefore, it will not damage internal engine components or plug the oil pick up screen. Sea Foam is a pure petroleum blend with no chemical additives and is safe for long term cleaning or short term pre-service cleaning.

Sea Foam is a blend of highly refined additive oils and is compatible with all motor oils including synthetics. It is safe for all internal engine components and will not affect any seals, gaskets or o-rings. Sea Foam cleans oil deposits and varnish in your crankcase by safely/slowly re liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered. The longer Sea Foam is in your oil the cleaner your crankcase will become. When adding Sea Foam to clean oil, for long term maintenance cleaning, you must check your oil periodically for color and clarity, when your oil looks dirty change it. Because you added cleaning oil (Sea Foam) to your oil you may have to change oil before the expected service interval.

When adding Sea Foam to dirty oil before an oil change, for best results use 1 ½ ounces per quart of oil at least 100 miles before oil is changed.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Ok guys and gals i use Valvoline Syn Power 10W30 on my Titan as it is right now. But wanted to maybe switch to Mobil 1 synthetic, and was wondering if its better to switch over or is what I'm using good already? And yes the Valvoline I'm using is full synthetic so ill just be switching to another synthetic so wanted to see if there would be a prob doing so. My truck mileage is 41k so not to old. And yea one more question how long do i keep using 10w30? and what is next after 10w30 if i have to switch oil weigh?

No need to put any additives or extra chemicals in your engine oil. You can switch directly to Mobil 1 5w30 truck and suv with no problems. I would also suggest Pennzoil Platinum 5w30, it has performed well with our engines. But the M1 is a good choice also. Just make sure that you use a good quality filter like M1, Wix, Royal Purple,Purolator Pure 1 or the good Fram XG (not the cheap orange can).

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No need to put any additives or extra chemicals in your engine oil. You can switch directly to Mobil 1 5w30 truck and suv with no problems. I would also suggest Pennzoil Platinum 5w30, it has performed well with our engines. But the M1 is a good choice also. Just make sure that you use a good quality filter like M1, Wix, Royal Purple,Purolator Pure 1 or the good Fram XG (not the cheap orange can).
ive been using the OEM filter since when i switch to M1 filter my truck would make a weird sound once i switch back to the OEM filter the sound went away. Plus i get the OEM filters for $2 lol. But yea do i need to switch to 5w30 i live in Socal so i doesnt get super cold only in the winter.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But do you guys think Valvoline Syn Power 10w30 is no good compare to Mobile 1?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I tried M1 and had alot of valve train noise. I have tried every oil including Amsoil and have determined Castrol edge is the best. I have no scientific proof and no real mechanical skills but I swear the T runs smoother and accelerates faster with it than any other oil.

·
Registered
533 Posts
But do you guys think Valvoline Syn Power 10w30 is no good compare to Mobile 1?
Valvoline makes great products.

But from strictly a scientific/data standpoint Pennzoil products perform better than Mobil 1 in our engines. That's not saying M1 is a bad product or will cause problems, but when you count the wear elements like iron, Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra produce less.

I am basing this on my used oil reports from Blackstone labs. I use Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 with a Royal Purple or Mobil 1 filter and can run 8500 between changes with no problem.

But if you do regular changes with any good synthetic oil, you will be fine. If you are using Valvoline and the truck likes it, no reason to change unless you just want to.

See my reports on Mobil versus Pennzoil here

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-engine-transmission-drivetrain/114951-pennzoil-ultra-5w30-used-oil-analysis-report.html

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I tried Penzoil Platinum but like some others, got noise from it, so that's one oil I'll not use in my Titan again no matter how great of an oil analysis many have gotten with it.

Some call it lifter noise, others say it isn't harmful ... Idk, but any noise it enough for me to look elsewhere when M1 and every other oil I've tried was quite on my Titan, that's enough for me. I would try it if I hadn't already, but if noisy it's not the right oil. Same thing if M1 or anything else gives you a new noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts