Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an '08 Titan the Friday after Thanksgiving. I traded in a Chevy Silverado. I used Amsoil fully synthetic oil in the Silverado (and my wife's 4Runner). Does anyone run a fully synthetic motor oil and if so, what kind? I would like to run Amsoil in my Titan since I paid to be a dealer to get the wholesale cost (overall, I save a few dollars). Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Well, I'm ordering AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 for the Titan soon along with an AMSOIL oil filter. I saw on their website where it beat the Mobil1 pretty bad in a Four Ball Wear Test. I thought Mobil1 was the best oil (and I'm sure it's still a fantastic oil), but I'm going to give AMSOIL a try this time around. Plus, I'm going to like the long intrevals between oil changes...

·
Registered
723 Posts
You'll find a lot of people on here have varying opinions on this subject. Good number of Amsoil users, a whole lot of Mobil 1 as well. I personally use Mobil 1 Extended performance 5-30. I now have 65k miles on my truck after 2.5 years of use. I switched over from regular to synthetic after about 12k miles. I change my oil every 10k-12k miles. Oil always comes out pretty clean and I have no complaints and have no compelling reason to switch to another brand with my experience so far. I would suggest doing search to answer ths question.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On my past vehicles, I used Amsoil 5W-30 with the Ea long life oil filter and changed annualy (around 4th of July). Both the oil and fliter have a 25,000 mile or one year change interval.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Have used M1 truck and suv 5w30. I have in Pennzoil platinum 5w30 now. Just a few bucks cheaper abd just as good imho. Heck the Walmart supertech is good.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Most have waited till about 5k to make the switch from Regular to synthetic. It's suggested that the extra slipperiness of the synthetic will not allow for a propper break in. I would run factroy fill for 1k to 1,500 and switch to Chevron supreme till 5k and then make the switch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
started using Royal Purple, noticed that after the switch the first time changing the oil it did not look purple. My titan is the first vehcile that I have ever used any type of synthetic oil in, I don't know if I am sold on the royal purple yet, I guess only time will tell. From what I am reading here most are with Mobil 1 or Amsoil.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
bsimpson145 said:
Should I start with the Amsoil immediatley?
you can use the Amsoil from the start, some vehicles come with syn from the factory. Amsoil is good stuff.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The only major advanatge of using Amsoil over any of the other group IV is a relly long extended drain. Straigh tfrom the Amsoil site Since most new vehicles come filled with petroleum oil, it only makes good sense to change to AMSOIL at the first scheduled oil change interval. New engine components generate high levels of wear metals and can contain contaminants from assembly. By allowing the engine to operate with the petroleum oil until the first oil/filter change interval, the wear metals and contaminants are removed prior to installing .

Be careful what yoyu buy. They do sell some synthetic blends.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok everyone and there cousin is putting in there .02 about what type of oil they use and I knew I found a different thread concering what type of oil to use. JetTech has some very useful information and I wanted to share it with everyone. If you read through the thread and be a little patitent to find all the good info and it's worth our engines to do a little research. He even sent out oil samples, I'm glad to see someone going to great lengths to find good info, thanks JetTech from all Titan owners.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/8932-just-drained-mobil-1-a.html

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
TN WASH GUY said:
started using Royal Purple, noticed that after the switch the first time changing the oil it did not look purple. My titan is the first vehcile that I have ever used any type of synthetic oil in, I don't know if I am sold on the royal purple yet, I guess only time will tell. From what I am reading here most are with Mobil 1 or Amsoil.
Royal Purple is only purple in color right out of the bottle. After it's been in use, it looks like regular old motor oil.

I used RP in my last truck without an issue. I've been using Amsoil 5W-30 XL with the Titan and I've had no complaints so far.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Honestly, you could buy the cheapest oil available and run it and the motor will still outlast the body or length of ownership. How many folks do you know that treat their car like crap and couldn't possibly tell you the last time the oil was changed. We all know folks like that and their vehicle still goes up and down the street. You cant go wrong with any synthetic and comparing them is splitting hairs. Nobody's motor is going to seize up because they used brand x. We all want whats best for out investments(trucks) but it's like buying premium gas. Doesn't matter where you buy it, it's premium and it's gas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts