Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I have the amsoil synthetic in mine, but you have to do a flush to change it over. (it says fully matic J complient)

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Are you sure the "J matic Nissan fluid" isn't already synthetic?

·
Registered
356 Posts
J Matic is a full synthetic product, made by Castrol. Transmission fluids contain around 16 different additives that control seal swelling, stick-slip lubrication, oxidation control, temperature transfer, and a lot of other functions. The difference in types of fluid is pretty dramatic, and using one that is not suggested will void the warranty. I assume Amsoil is giving guarantees when using theirs, because if you do have a failure I can guarantee it won't be a simple matter of warranty repair with Nissan. I have looked ad nauseum for a supplier for the Castrol branded J fluid, but no one sells it here. Apparently, it is also used in Subaru's and is common in Australia. I wouldn't take a chance on using a different type, I'm sure a lot of research was completed when this transmission was developed for the best one to match the metals, plates, seals, and other parts of the unit.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
J Matic is a full synthetic product
That was my assumption....Fords new Mercon V along with GM's latest ATF release is also synthetic.
The factories are getting smarter...sometimes.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Justintoxicated said:
I have the amsoil synthetic in mine, but you have to do a flush to change it over. (it says fully matic J complient)
How many miles have you put on the amsoil tranny fluid.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Kia's with rear wheel drive have the same trans as us. Look at what the specify.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
titanss said:
How many miles have you put on the amsoil tranny fluid.
Probably only 1000 miles so far, maybe a bit less. It says it is J-Matic Compatible right on the bottle. Considering amsoil Diff fluids etc blow away the crap nissan uses I don't think it should be an issue putting it in the truck, and yes I believe there is a guarantee although I threw away the bottle (I saved the reciept of course).

I was not aware J-matic was already a synthetic (Are you sure? Where does it say that? it should be for $15 a quart!). It might be made by Castrol, but if you don't use the stuff that comes in a Nissan bottle then sure they might say something anyways, even if you were to use castrol brand or not. The way I see it they had better be prepaired to prove it was the oil that caused the issue, and even then it should be covered by amsoils guarantee. I have not had any problems so far, not sure whether the truck shifts much better or not, I think it does but I never actually had a problem before. As far as what Seems to be better to me is there is a less noticeable hit when it shifts but I don’t know if that is possible from oil or not. Like I said, maybe slightly smoother, but honestly I did the 2deg timing advance at the same time so that might be what I am feeling. Also my factory oil was not THAT bad at 35k, although it looked dark enough to do the flush.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The Nissan fluid is made by Castrol. Subaru and a few other companies use the fluid, labeled as a "J" fluid but with different brand names. Here is a PDF file I have on the Castrol J fluid. It says part synthetic, but this is because they are not allowed to call severely hydro-treated oils synthetic. So far, Amsoil is the only one who is giving any guarantees if you use their fluid. I have always been of the opinion that it isn't worth changing transmission fluids when the manufacturer specifically says any others will void the warranty. I doubt the Amsoil is going to give any noticeable improvement, but is likely compatible and won't do any damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I think the problem is Nissan doesn't say you can't use any other trans fluid, it says it must mett there "J" specs and until now no other fluid did.
If you run the Castro, have tranny issues and Nissan trys to void the warranty because they claim the fluid was the issue, get it writing and present it to Castro...let the fun begin...

We were installing Champion spark plugs into some Chevy trucks at work, they had some driveability issues and were repaired under warranty. The service writer told us the problem was the wrong spark plugs(not Delco A/C's) and we should quit running them.

We had a Champ rep out and told him the story, He asked for a copy of the r/o to take to court...He was hot explaining that since they(Champion) made the plugs to Chevy's spec's, Chevy was liable for not only any lost business, but for any repairs made on that same premise.

We looked at the r/o, it never stated that the plugs were the issue, he calmed down and told us that was because the dealer knew better.

If it meets manufacture spec's then it's good to go...as long as it's not some fly-by-night outfit that's just blowing smoke...

BTW....Castro's fluid is also semi-synthetic...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts