Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have had the rice rocket for about 6 months now and I am ready to upgrade the stereo. I am old but still like to jam so the RF aint cuttin it anymore. I will get a tech12 box for 2 12s under the back seat (CC), I will get a DD 7" DVD reciever (clarion most likely), I have a Rubicon 500.1 for the subs (will run 500w+ @ 2 ohm mono) and an A/D/S 6.25 for the rest. What speakers do I get and where do I put them? The factory locations look well thought out but will seperates front and rear work as well as spreading mid bass, mids, and tweets all over the truck? I listen to stuff too loud sometimes (all the time) and my music varies from old country to 80s alternative to rap (not much rap though) but mainly lots of rock so I need them them to handle everything and sound good. Price is down the list so I am not looking for cheap but probably not going to buy Focal all the way around either. Say 500 for speakers not including subs.

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
Doo Dah said:
Well I have had the rice rocket for about 6 months now and I am ready to upgrade the stereo. I am old but still like to jam so the RF aint cuttin it anymore. I will get a tech12 box for 2 12s under the back seat (CC), I will get a DD 7" DVD reciever (clarion most likely), I have a Rubicon 500.1 for the subs (will run 500w+ @ 2 ohm mono) and an A/D/S 6.25 for the rest. What speakers do I get and where do I put them? The factory locations look well thought out but will seperates front and rear work as well as spreading mid bass, mids, and tweets all over the truck? I listen to stuff too loud sometimes (all the time) and my music varies from old country to 80s alternative to rap (not much rap though) but mainly lots of rock so I need them them to handle everything and sound good. Price is down the list so I am not looking for cheap but probably not going to buy Focal all the way around either. Say 500 for speakers not including subs.

Fronts boston pro 60s. they are priced every low right now on the group buy. crutchfield has these fro 599.Midbass is awesome . smooth tweeters with plenty of volume.

http://www.shop.tech12volts.com/product.sc?categoryId=7&productId=93

rears i would run these simple to install and sound great for the rears.dont throw your money away on anything else

http://www.shop.tech12volts.com/product.sc?categoryId=7&productId=54

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
OLD SCHOOL amps... NICE!!!

The deal James has on those Boston's is pretty awesome, I've heard them and they do sound great. Since that A/D/S is a 6ch amp I'd bridge the 2 front ch's for the front comps and then run the rear off the 2 other ch's. Since they will only be getting around 25wrms you might want to consider some decent coaxials. Boston has 3 lines of coaxials below the Pro's so for rear fill something in that range would be fine. And with only 25wrms you'd probably like them better because coaxials are typically more efficient than comps. James sells the Boston S65 coaxials for 89 bucks. You will save a bit of money that you can use for wiring since you will need to add all of that too!

I prefer to mount the tweeters in the a-pillar rather than in the stock location the imaging is better and it sounds smoother. Mount the mids down in the door using an MDF baffle. As far as the rear, if its a CC you can make an MDF adapter and leave the stock tweeter alone, or go with the comp set and replace the factory tweeter with the comp one. (I'm not sure if you can return it to stock after doing this though) If you have a KC then make and MDF adapter and just go with some coaxials or mount the comps like coaxials (some of the Boston models allow you to do this)

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
t22a80 said:
OLD SCHOOL amps... NICE!!!

The deal James has on those Boston's is pretty awesome, I've heard them and they do sound great. Since that A/D/S is a 6ch amp I'd bridge the 2 front ch's for the front comps and then run the rear off the 2 other ch's. Since they will only be getting around 25wrms you might want to consider some decent coaxials. Boston has 3 lines of coaxials below the Pro's so for rear fill something in that range would be fine. And with only 25wrms you'd probably like them better because coaxials are typically more efficient than comps. James sells the Boston S65 coaxials for 89 bucks. You will save a bit of money that you can use for wiring since you will need to add all of that too!

I prefer to mount the tweeters in the a-pillar rather than in the stock location the imaging is better and it sounds smoother. Mount the mids down in the door using an MDF baffle. As far as the rear, if its a CC you can make an MDF adapter and leave the stock tweeter alone, or go with the comp set and replace the factory tweeter with the comp one. (I'm not sure if you can return it to stock after doing this though) If you have a KC then make and MDF adapter and just go with some coaxials or mount the comps like coaxials (some of the Boston models allow you to do this)

the a/d/s is a sweet 6 channel as well. You can bi-amp the bostons so need to bridge the channels. Keep the clean power.

Bi amp mean you can run 2 inputs into the crossovers. one for the mid and one for the tweeter.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
tech12volt said:
the a/d/s is a sweet 6 channel as well. You can bi-amp the bostons so need to bridge the channels. Keep the clean power.

Bi amp mean you can run 2 inputs into the crossovers. one for the mid and one for the tweeter.
Good call James, I forgot that those Bostons can be bi-amped. That is a nice feature and it will keep the distortion lower from the amp.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So instead of running the amp in 4 ch with 50 going front and 25 going rear I would run 6 ch and bi amp the fronts with the back running normal? As far as MDF baffles, would this be something I am building into the door in order to mount the speakers?

I always wanted A/D/S in the 90s but coudn't afford it. I ran across a deal about 5 years ago to pick two new ones and only paid about 600 for the pair. I also have an Alpine 7995 that I was going to install but I have never liked the look of a DIN in a DD space so I figured I'd get a new deck while I was doing the rest. I may end up holding off on DVD in dash and get a LOC to run the factory deck for a while. May be better to just wait until I can get the deck rather than spend 200+ on a temporary fix.

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
Doo Dah said:
So instead of running the amp in 4 ch with 50 going front and 25 going rear I would run 6 ch and bi amp the fronts with the back running normal? As far as MDF baffles, would this be something I am building into the door in order to mount the speakers?

I always wanted A/D/S in the 90s but coudn't afford it. I ran across a deal about 5 years ago to pick two new ones and only paid about 600 for the pair. I also have an Alpine 7995 that I was going to install but I have never liked the look of a DIN in a DD space so I figured I'd get a new deck while I was doing the rest. I may end up holding off on DVD in dash and get a LOC to run the factory deck for a while. May be better to just wait until I can get the deck rather than spend 200+ on a temporary fix.
that exactly correct. I still have 2 a/d/s 8 channels in my Chevelle. a/d/s was such great stuff. i also have four of the 6.5 inch subs they use to sell. great for subs in the floor up front.

Yeah just use an loc untill you can afford the DD you want.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Doo Dah said:

That A/D/S will actually run more like 90 bridged. A/D/S isnt too far from me, about an hour actually. I currently work with a guy that worked there in the 90's. I wish I knew him then!

I'm sure James could hook you up with some MDF baffles on the cheap if you ask nicely. :)

I have been wanting a double din for a long time but just dont have the funds. I settled for a single with the space under it. One good thing about the pocket is that I hard wired my MP3 player to the aux input on my Eclipse CD5000 and keep it in there. If you use an MP3 player often this keeps it nice and neat and out of the way. And if you have the 6 disc indash you will need a new faceplate anyway for the DD so you really arent wasting the money. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 7995 is a sweet deck so I may use it until I get the deal I want on a DD DVD. That would free up an extra 600+ for other things like all the wire and cable it is going to take to get this stuff in and plenty of sound mat.

James, do you have a suggestion for 12" subs that will work well in one of your boxes with the Rubi pushing them? I had MTX 4500s in my Supercrew and they were adequate but I only had 4.5" of depth to work with then, I am guessing the Titan box will have more?

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
Doo Dah said:
The 7995 is a sweet deck so I may use it until I get the deal I want on a DD DVD. That would free up an extra 600+ for other things like all the wire and cable it is going to take to get this stuff in and plenty of sound mat.

James, do you have a suggestion for 12" subs that will work well in one of your boxes with the Rubi pushing them? I had MTX 4500s in my Supercrew and they were adequate but I only had 4.5" of depth to work with then, I am guessing the Titan box will have more?
Boston G1 12s. work like a champ. Do you realize a/d/s stands for analog and digital sound. At the time a/d/s came out. There was no such thing as digital audio yet.

·
Registered
940 Posts
tech12volt said:
I still have 2 a/d/s 8 channels in my Chevelle.
Pardon the quick threadjack, but what year is your Chevelle? Just curious, I've always liked them. I had a 67 GTO and a 68 LeMans.

·
Registered
940 Posts
t22a80 said:
I'm sure James could hook you up with some MDF baffles on the cheap if you ask nicely.
Are you selling baffles James? I remember you saying you were thinking about it, I could use a set.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
tech12volt said:
Boston G1 12s. work like a champ. Do you realize a/d/s stands for analog and digital sound. At the time a/d/s came out. There was no such thing as digital audio yet.
I think you meant to say Analog Digital Systems. :)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Doo Dah said:

Thats what I'd do! hey that is what I did... If you need sound deadning send me a PM!

Your Alpine will sound much better than the stock unit with an LOC. Also, take a little extra cash and make sure you do all the hard stuff right the first time. You can always upgrade to a DD later on down the road. They get better and cheaper all the time.

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
travelship said:
Are you selling baffles James? I remember you saying you were thinking about it, I could use a set.
72 ss. It was my dads . Now its mine and I love it. he bought the day before I was born

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
tech12volt said:
72 ss. It was my dads . Now its mine and I love it. he bought the day before I was born
Thats awesome James!

·
Registered
940 Posts
tech12volt said:
Nice, the 72 is my favorite.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
t22a80 said:
Thats what I'd do! hey that is what I did... If you need sound deadning send me a PM!

Your Alpine will sound much better than the stock unit with an LOC. Also, take a little extra cash and make sure you do all the hard stuff right the first time. You can always upgrade to a DD later on down the road. They get better and cheaper all the time.
I put a couple DD DVD decks on my Xmas list to momma. If she gets me one cool, if not I'll use the 7995. I will certainly contact you when I am ready for soundmat, what brand do you sell? I had some that I bought for my Supercrew when I did that system but don't remember the name. It was good stuff and about 25% of the cost of Dynamat or anything else. I have a week off in March so I will likely accumulate stuff until that time and spend a couple of days installing everything, if I can wait that long. Thanks for all of your help! James, I'll be getting a box and the Bostons from you soon.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Doo Dah said:
I put a couple DD DVD decks on my Xmas list to momma. If she gets me one cool, if not I'll use the 7995. I will certainly contact you when I am ready for soundmat, what brand do you sell? I had some that I bought for my Supercrew when I did that system but don't remember the name. It was good stuff and about 25% of the cost of Dynamat or anything else. I have a week off in March so I will likely accumulate stuff until that time and spend a couple of days installing everything, if I can wait that long. Thanks for all of your help! James, I'll be getting a box and the Bostons from you soon.
That sounds like a good plan! Good luck!

I personally dont sell anything I just "know people" :)

James sells Fatmat if you want to buy everything from him or I spoke with Rick the owner of Raamatt and he was willing to give the Titan guys a little discount on the products. Dynamatt is such a ripoff, the Extreme stuff works well but its so overpriced. The Second Skin is a better product but is still expensive. The Rammatt is a good product that is reasonably priced.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts