Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This actually happened just over two weeks ago at the start of my most recent big trip (~5000 miles). I pulled off of the freeway onto an off ramp and pulled to the side of the road. One of my kids had spilled their drink all over themselves and needed a change of clothes out of their suitcase. I pulled to the side of the road so my passenger-side tires were in gravel and driver's side was still on the paved shoulder. Truck was canted slightly from this, but it was only a couple inches difference.

Opened the tailgate, released the tonneau, climbed in and fished around and found a change of clothes for my kid. Closed up the tonneau and went to close the tailgate and instead of latching it bounced right back at me thunk. Confused, I assumed I had bounced off of the ice chest that must have gotten moved when I was in the bed rooting around, so I tried again with more force thinking I'd just push the cooler pack into place and all would be well. THUNK and again, tailgate bounced right back at me. Finally I realized that the slight twisting caused by the passenger side being lower than the driver's side had somehow also affected the alignment of the tailgate latch with the potruding piece on the bed that the latch is supposed to catch on. It was instead causing the top of the latch housing to impact the wide section at the top of the portruding piece and my bright idea of "forcing" it into place, had put a huge dent in the latch housing and also started to shear the metal on the bed itself.

Now I feel this is completely unreasonable to have happened to begin with. Has anyone else run into anything like this? I've never encountered anything like this with any other pickup before.

Pics of damage: Gate - Google Drive

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
This actually happened just over two weeks ago at the start of my most recent big trip (~5000 miles). I pulled off of the freeway onto an off ramp and pulled to the side of the road. One of my kids had spilled their drink all over themselves and needed a change of clothes out of their suitcase. I pulled to the side of the road so my passenger-side tires were in gravel and driver's side was still on the paved shoulder. Truck was canted slightly from this, but it was only a couple inches difference.

Opened the tailgate, released the tonneau, climbed in and fished around and found a change of clothes for my kid. Closed up the tonneau and went to close the tailgate and instead of latching it bounced right back at me thunk. Confused, I assumed I had bounced off of the ice chest that must have gotten moved when I was in the bed rooting around, so I tried again with more force thinking I'd just push the cooler pack into place and all would be well. THUNK and again, tailgate bounced right back at me. Finally I realized that the slight twisting caused by the passenger side being lower than the driver's side had somehow also affected the alignment of the tailgate latch with the potruding piece on the bed that the latch is supposed to catch on. It was instead causing the top of the latch housing to impact the wide section at the top of the portruding piece and my bright idea of "forcing" it into place, had put a huge dent in the latch housing and also started to shear the metal on the bed itself.

Now I feel this is completely unreasonable to have happened to begin with. Has anyone else run into anything like this? I've never encountered anything like this with any other pickup before.

That’s nasty. Wish I had advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts

Never seen that before..

Is it possible it may have something to do with when the dealer pulled the cab off your truck to fix motor??

Maybe they didn't torque things down right.. Maybe the transmission crossmember is not torqued correctly...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Shouldn’t there be a plastic piece over that one part? Not sure what the new ones have. My 04 twisted so bad when I would pull out of my drive way it eventually broke the exhaust system that was rusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts