Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is something I worked on so I could carry two dirtbikes with out a bed extender. going riding on Friday so I'll post up pics with a bike to see if it really works. enjoy :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
i just wrap the wire for the tailgate around that little knob that locks the tailgate lol if that makes sense to you. but it works great and fits my raptor perfectly.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just wrap the wire for the tailgate around that little knob that locks the tailgate lol if that makes sense to you. but it works great and fits my raptor perfectly.
for some reason my wire isn't long enough.. idk why so I had to do this I though everyone had that problem lol dang my truck has a short wire.. I wonder if they have pills that :eyebrow:

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
What's the tensile load capacity of those itty bitty screws? :huh:

Good luck.... Hope it works.... Do the bikes rest against the tailgate?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
What's the tensile load capacity of those itty bitty screws? :huh:
I have the same concern. Are those Drywall screws? (please tell me those are not drywall screws!)

Other than fastener choice, nice mod.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
I thought they were drywall screws, too..... :rofl:

I pop the heads off those just trying to put them in the freaking screwgun! :lol:

·
Premium Member
21,742 Posts
You guys are good! I spotted the drywall screws right away. Those caribiners probably aren't rated for much more than about 10 pounds. I would not want to be driving behind him.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Can't see the pics at work but I was thinking about making up some short cables and implementing them somehow for this purpose yesterday when loading up the bike. I'll have to check back later and check it out.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
they are drywall screws in the picture but they have been replaced I wanted to put this together to show you guys and I didn't have time to go to the local Ace so that's what you got lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
The screws are replaced but what is the weight rating on those carabiners?
:bangit:
i believe theyre rated for 150lbs (if theyre just standard ones). i use em to hang up crap in the garage.

pretty sick invention MX..i was thinking about something like that last time i hauled a quad in the back.

·
Registered
603 Posts
how much do you take out riding?

I can fit my Crf450, my pit bike ( 125 mini ) 2 Gear bags, 2 - 5 gallon Gas containers, my BBQ ( weber Q-200 ) Grill, Ice chest , and my aluminum Ramp with the tail gate closed.

Those screws and pretty much any sheet metal fastener you choose will eventually pull out of the tail gate where you have them fastened.

Just grab some 6" bungies and hook them to the side of your gate where the clasp mechanism is, and then to the Pin Head, save the mutilation of trucks to the Toyota guys ;)

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here as i don't use my bed in this manner. Is there a huge safety advantage to a "half-up" tailgate? I would think, it would be best to simply have appropriate tie-downs (straps, not rubber cords) to secure the load inside the bed. If i had a need for a tailgate to be partially down, on a recurring basis, I'd consider a steel bracket that locks in place, much like a bracket to hold open a lid on a toy chest. But make it a single non folding bracket that bolts in place somehow. Maybe have it snap onto the retaining bolt that exist already to latch the tailgate, and add a connection to the side of the tailgate. Maybe the second point can be the bracket already on the tailgate itself? A flat strap, folded over on the end, in a "U" shape, to capture the tailgate bracket, and has a pin go through to secure it. The other end will then snap over the bolt on the edge of the bed. Shucks, this makes me want to go make a set! I'll look into this, and be back after I get back to the shop next week. I'm going to try this, just for the challenge. I will post here if it works or not...

Now, back to my question, is this a real advantage?

To MXtitan24. I love homemade ideas. Keep at it! :)

P.S. I have always wanted to add a complete utili-track to my truck; I bought it 2 years ago, but never installed it. 2 weeks ago, I installed the piece that goes on the front of the bed. It came with the bolts already in it. The bed had bolts that are easy to remove, and the utili-track simply bolted in! A 10 minute Mod. No drilling or anything hard to do. Now, I have utili-track tie downs in the front. A very secure method to hold loads to the front, nice and tight! The front piece only cost about $45-50 at the dealer IIRC. Could be a real handy advantage to the ATV crowd.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts