Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any problems with the adhesive tape that seals the material around the tailgate handle to the tailagte? The last few times I have opened the tailgate the whole plastic piece has come out a few inches and I can stick my fingers under and feel the tape on the tailgate, totally detached from the plastic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
smcewen31 said:
Has anyone had any problems with the adhesive tape that seals the material around the tailgate handle to the tailagte? The last few times I have opened the tailgate the whole plastic piece has come out a few inches and I can stick my fingers under and feel the tape on the tailgate, totally detached from the plastic.
Nope, but I have noticed that it is not tightly sealed all the way round on one side you can see a gap. I am planning on waiting till the next service to bring it to my dealers attention.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
yes i have noticed this. i went to open my tailgate and it was locked so when i pulled on it it seperated from the tailgate and the cheap clips broke off. imho the tailgate latching mechanism sucks bad. they could have made something better than what they gave us

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same thing happened to mine . opened up the tailgate and reset the clips then put a splash of polyurethane glue
on each clip. I hoped this would bond the clip to the plastic trim section. Seems solid so far.

·
Registered
155 Posts
There have been post on this site before regarding this. Just use the search and you will see the posts. I have not had this problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the same problem. Took it to the dealer and they ordered new clips. I heard they were plastic?

It started with one side and eventually the other came apart.

Be careful not to let the tailgate drop on you as i did. That will do it too.

This really sucks. Another fix which Nissan must come up with.

·
Premium Member
17,124 Posts
coco said:
Nope, but I have noticed that it is not tightly sealed all the way round on one side you can see a gap. I am planning on waiting till the next service to bring it to my dealers attention.
There was a post here previously to the effect that one dealer fixed this problem by using thicker double-stick tape.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had the same problem. Dealer has ordered the whole new plastic piece. When they replace, I'm gonna take the inside tailgate off and glue the clips so they don't pop off. Crappy design, my son's 1994 Nissan did the same thing. I sheet metal screwed the plastic to the tailgate on it. No way on my new titan. It's the dealers problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts