Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us w/bed covers, you know it's impossible to tell if the tailgate is open w/out getting out to look. It would be nice if there was a dash light, similar to the "Door Open" light, for the tailgate.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Just put an ADT or Altronics sensor on there. Then when you forget to disarm it, and the alarm goes off, and the cops come by, well..... let's just say, you won't forget to disarm the alarm the next time.... :D

I would think this is something that would be possible. The only problem I see is that pickup beds are used for dirty loads sometimes, like hauling dirt, lumber, and other stuff that can bang around back there. I would think this could make the sensors susceptible to damge quite easily if you haul more than azz in your truck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Perhaps a magnetic reed switch? Something like you would use on a home window. It would resist dirt and water. Just need to decide what to wire it to.

J

Blackbeauty said:
Just put an ADT or Altronics sensor on there. Then when you forget to disarm it, and the alarm goes off, and the cops come by, well..... let's just say, you won't forget to disarm the alarm the next time.... :D

I would think this is something that would be possible. The only problem I see is that pickup beds are used for dirty loads sometimes, like hauling dirt, lumber, and other stuff that can bang around back there. I would think this could make the sensors susceptible to damge quite easily if you haul more than azz in your truck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know if this happens for anybody else, but when I backup with the tailgate down the backup alarm goes nuts. I guess you could just get in the habit of leaving it in reverse for a second to see if the alarm beeps, then keep going down into drive knowing if the tailgate is up or down.:upsidedow

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Not sure that I have anything helpful as far as a light or not to offer you. But for me, as the thing cost in the neighborhood of $1100 I never leave mine unlocked, let alone down. The local dealers have been hit lately to the tune of 10 to 15 per night missing.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Saliavin said:
I don't know if this happens for anybody else, but when I backup with the tailgate down the backup alarm goes nuts. I guess you could just get in the habit of leaving it in reverse for a second to see if the alarm beeps, then keep going down into drive knowing if the tailgate is up or down.:upsidedow
Mine doesn't always beep when it's down, but I've thought of that.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blackbeauty said:
If you used a covered switch, similar to the one in the doors that activates the interior lights, mounted toward the top of the bed rail, it should be out of the way enough that it wouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bhudda454 said:
Not sure that I have anything helpful as far as a light or not to offer you. But for me, as the thing cost in the neighborhood of $1100 I never leave mine unlocked, let alone down. The local dealers have been hit lately to the tune of 10 to 15 per night missing.
Doesn't seem to be a problem in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Great idea, jguns. Put it into the "Future Features" thread.

<forehead slap> This is what I could have used when I left my gate down after hooking up my travel trailer. First tight corner I went around, I heard this noise, and after I stopped, I was cursing my stupidity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would go for something like this. Last winter I drove almost 100 miles to a job site and found my tailgate open when I got there. Thank God no tools were missing so I didn't have to walk the interstate backwards.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've driven away from a stores a couple times w/the tailgate down & almost lost some pretty expensive things. Most recently a brand new Dyson Vacuum this past weekend.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just started a thread in GD to see if anyone can help us figure out if there is a way to add this to our trucks.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
jguns2002 said:
I just started a thread in GD to see if anyone can help us figure out if there is a way to add this to our trucks.
I thought that looked like another thread! I answered that one and not this one. Most of the guys use active topics on here anyways so its not a good idea to have two threads about the same thing up. I can post that other one over here and you can delete that one.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
I would think you could run from one of the door pins back to the tailgate and that would set it off without tapping in behind the dash. I think it is a single wire on the pin that grounds when the door is opened so if you run a wire form that wire to the back all it will need to do is ground when you open it. I have never opened up the wireing, so I am going just on the memory of other cars I have had in the past.

·
Registered
599 Posts
or u could just look at your truck before u get in it lol or when u open the tailgate just pop up the cover so when u see the cover up u know the tail gate is down.

·
Registered
264 Posts
white_titan05 said:
or u could just look at your truck before u get in it lol or when u open the tailgate just pop up the cover so when u see the cover up u know the tail gate is down.

Yea what every happened to just looking?!! Is there really a need for a "tailgate down" sensor?! I think the backup sensors going nutz is a good indicator...

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
This is important stuff! I didn't shut my tailgate and out rolled 2 large pumpkins last October! We discovered it at our next shopping plaza stop. LOL!

I keep mine locked all the time, to secure my tools. But will be adding an electric lock sometime in the future to go with the passenger door locks.

UPDATE: After reading this thread, my family and I went out and put chairs in the bed. The gate wasn't latched well (did not see need to lock this time) and it was open when we got to our destination. Embarrassing, though nothing lost.

I'm looking up switches tomorrow and installing a Bright Red light. Having a cover does make it a bit easier to have this happen. And I don't have to slam it shut llike the beat up old GMC's at work! That is the fallacy, you don't miss the quiet latching sound if you don't shut it well. I have an XE, so no beepy thingy on rear bumper.

PM sent to the OP. BTW, What is "GD"??? :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
white_titan05 said:
That's the thing. I always end up driving down the road, then have to get out to look. When you're running late for baseball & getting kids in the truck, remembering to put the tailgate up isn't always first & foremost.

I have a Trifecta Tonneau, so it's not as simple as just lifting the cover.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
TitanBlue said:
This is important stuff! I didn't shut my tailgate and out rolled 2 large pumkins last October! We discovered it at our next shopping plaze stop. LOL!

I keep mine locked all the time, to secure my tools. But will be adding an electric lock sometime in the future to go with the passenger door locks.

UPDATE: After reading this thread, my family and I went out and put chairs in the bed. The gate wasn't latched well (did not see need to lock this time) and it was open when we got to our destination. Emarrrassing, though nothing lost.

I'm looking up switches tomorrow and installing a Bright Red light. Having a cover does make it a bit easier to have this happen. And I don't have to slam it shut llike the beat up old GMC's at work! That is the fallacy, you don't miss the quiet latching sound if you don't shut it well. I have an XE, so no beepy thingy on rear bumper.

PM sent to the OP. BTW, What is "GD"??? :)
Yeah. With a tonneau, you don't even feel this gate dropping with the tailgate assist. My tailgate on my '95 F150 wasn't latched closed right and dropped on me while I was driving. The sound and jolt was so loud and hard that I thought someone hit me!

Oh, and I believe GD might be General Discussion?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also back in everywhere I park, so I go straight through reverse & never hear backup sensors.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts