Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic part that encloses the tailgate lock on my Titan seems to be attached with double sided tape and the tape is comming loose on the right side on my truck.

Anybody else have the plastic piece in the the center of the tailgate coming loose?

KennyO
XE CC 4x4
Galaxy Black

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes mine is too - only on the right side. I also noticed that the mud flaps are help by one screw and double sided tape which is also coming loose. I have never seem this on other vechicles. Are other brands using tape to hold things together? Are Titan owners going to have to buy offical Nissan replacement tape to keep these things in good order. I noticed all this tape when I was waxing/detailing my truck. I was waiting for someone else to bring it up. I am a little concerned being that all this tape is starting to come loose and I have only had the truck 7 weeks. Let me know what the rest of you folks think about this.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm....

I guess I better check my mud flaps too! I sure didn't think they were held on by tape. Doesn't seem too good for something that encounters mud and water so much.

KennyO

·
Registered
330 Posts
The tape Nissan used or uses (I think they have been contacted) was or is too thin. I noticed this back in December the first time I started looking at the Titan. I told the parts guy and he said he would contact Nissan. He had already started applying some thicker tape to some on their lot. I noticed this on the tailgate and front mudflaps. I woulk pust the plastic back and it would stick but you could tell (due to the lip on the plastic components) that the grey tape should have been at least 1/16 to 1/8 inch thicker. I'm thinking the tape used on metal buildings to seal the overlap would be perfect but this is not something we should have to do.

Again, the truck is excellent just a few little details that hopefully some Nissan rep reading this forum would contact some of the owners and solve some of these minor problems before it cost them a lot of money and sales.

Marty

·
Registered
59 Posts
the door seals are also held with double sided tape. My passenger side seals are already peeling away and Ive had the truck for 4 weeks now.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Look under your other thread. I posted what has happened on your gate. Have your delaer order a new tailgate piece and the logo to fix it. Mine is all good now.

Chris

·
Registered
470 Posts
Spole with my dealer about this issue and he says Nissan is attempting to get a fix. The problem is the 3M adhesive. we went out on the lot and over half of the new trucks had the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
kennyo said:
The plastic part that encloses the tailgate lock on my Titan seems to be attached with double sided tape and the tape is comming loose on the right side on my truck.

Anybody else have the plastic piece in the the center of the tailgate coming loose?

KennyO
XE CC 4x4
Galaxy Black

Can someone post pictures so I can see what your talking about... I would like to check mine as well

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
My pics of it are on my home computer (I am out on travel). But to look for it, look around the large plastic tailgate piece on the back there. Look around the edges. It should be sitting 'flush'. Mine wasn't and the corners were both lifted and you could see the tape. Same thing on my drivers side front mudflap.

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
CaliforniaTitan said:
My pics of it are on my home computer (I am out on travel). But to look for it, look around the large plastic tailgate piece on the back there. Look around the edges. It should be sitting 'flush'. Mine wasn't and the corners were both lifted and you could see the tape. Same thing on my drivers side front mudflap.

Chris
Then I have the problem..Mine don't sit flush but it's not loose at all

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
'Flush' meaning you can't see between it and the tailgate and the tape. The panel sits 'out' a bit by design. IF your not seeing the tape and can't put your finger under it then your fine.

I could put my index finger under the corners. I found the problem after hand washingher the first time and when pressing in the middle of the panel i heard the clips fall inside the tailgate and thats when the corners popped out.

chris

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
CaliforniaTitan said:
'Flush' meaning you can't see between it and the tailgate and the tape. The panel sits 'out' a bit by design. IF your not seeing the tape and can't put your finger under it then your fine.

I could put my index finger under the corners. I found the problem after hand washingher the first time and when pressing in the middle of the panel i heard the clips fall inside the tailgate and thats when the corners popped out.

chris
Mine sits about 1/8" (edge) of plastic cover between it and the tailgate..I will have to look for the tape..Basically if you can see the tape then you have the problem?

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Yep

The tape holds the 'edge' of the plastic panel to the metal part of the tailgate. Another way to check is to tap the plastic edges 'poke it' and see if it moves in and out. It should not move but will make a plasticky sound.

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts