Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tailgate on my 2006 Titan feels like the dampeners have worn out. It dampens the fall for the first 6 inches or so, then it seems like they just give out. The result is a pretty loud thud when the tailgate hits the bottom. I know on the new tailgates they are as smooth as glass when opening and closing. Any reason why my tailgate would be doing this? Did they change the tailgate dampening design from 2006 to 2008? I'm thinking about taking it in to the dealership before my 3/36k warranty is up, but I don't want to take it back if that's the way it's supposed to be. Any ideas are much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
My '06 goes down without any thud and is easy to lift back up. It should NOT drop with a thud. I would definitely take it in and get them to put a new strut on there. They do weaken over time.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
Sounds like you should take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Maybe pull the RR taillight out and see if the cylinder has been leaking, that is likely the problem and should be covered under the 36k warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the exact same issue with my 06. The tailgate begins to drop slowly and the it seems like it gives out and Thud! It still goes up pretty easily, but it is definitely not the way it was when I bought it.

I took it to a dealer and they told me it is normal and acts exactly the same as the trucks they have on the lot.

I think that's BS! Needless to say, I will not be going to that service department anymore. I am taking the truck to another Dealer on Tuesday.

In case anybody wants to know, the dealer that fed me that line of BS is Crowley Nissan in Bristol CT

They also told me that several items I wanted to have looked at were only covered under a 12-12 warranty and not the 30-36. After speaking with the other dealer I also found this to be BS.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to take mine in to the dealer this Saturday and have them look at it. If the dealer tries to throw me the line of crap about that's the ways it's supposed to be, I'm going to have a little "talk" with them. I know it's not supposed to do this and I had better not get jerked around trying to fix this. My warranty is up in 900 miles!

·
Registered
250 Posts
i havent had this problem as of yet but suspected that when i bought it it wouldnt last forever nothing ever does but i can tell you one thing though if it happens to me while i still have warranty it will get fixed if they give me bs about it ill just steel the system off one of the trucks on the lot while they are not looking hahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:gunz:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts