Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to load and unload a few boilers in the next few months. eacth boiler weighting about 400- 700 lbs. can the tail gate handle that amount of weight till it goes in the bed of the truck, or should i remove the tail gate to put them in the truck. how do you remove the tail gate and do you have to removed the tailghate assit????? 2007 king cab...thanks fellas:cheers:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
nyc07_king.titan said:
i need to load and unload a few boilers in the next few months. eacth boiler weighting about 400- 700 lbs. can the tail gate handle that amount of weight till it goes in the bed of the truck, or should i remove the tail gate to put them in the truck. how do you remove the tail gate and do you have to removed the tailghate assit????? 2007 king cab...thanks fellas:cheers:

the tailgate is rated for like 200lbs but will take 400lbs easy not sure about 700 lbs though.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I would definately take it off just to be on the safe side!!

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
It holds my 285#'s with ease. I would remove it though for 700# or more.

The tailgate assist mechanism doesn't need to be removed.

Step 1: Lower Tailgate
Step 2: While supporting tailgate from underside, remove the straps.
Step 3: Rotate tailgate up to approximately 45* and you should be able to pull it right off.

I'm also sure that people load/unload their 600#+++ ATV's off and on across the gate all the time.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Yeah I load my 700lb 4 wheeler up all the time and don't ever take the tailgate off. I also haul it with the back wheels on the tailgate for pretty long trips without problems. So I would venture to say you should be safe.

·
Registered
224 Posts
54warrior said:
It holds my 285#'s with ease. I would remove it though for 700# or more.

The tailgate assist mechanism doesn't need to be removed.

Step 1: Lower Tailgate
Step 2: While supporting tailgate from underside, remove the straps.
Step 3: Rotate tailgate up to approximately 45* and you should be able to pull it right off.

I'm also sure that people load/unload their 600#+++ ATV's off and on across the gate all the time.
Those are the exact directions to use.

I've done mine a few times. Particularly the time I loaded my Honda VFR 700, which weighs about 500 lbs. I would recommend you have a second pair of hands, it just makes the job that much easier.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks fellas plan on having help....was thinking about getting a hitch lift...:gunz:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have loaded my 620lbs Harley, plus me riding it up into the truck bed,200lbs and the 80lbs ramp. Do the math, 900 lbs on the gait many times with no problem at all.
David

·
Premium Member
76,518 Posts
I'd err on the side of caution and remove the gate to be on the safe side. the dry weight on my atv is 348, with me it's probably close to 500#s if i'm having a fat day haha.

there are a few lifting devices that mount inside your bed that i've seen, might be a handy item for this job.

·
Registered
740 Posts
200 lbs is kinda weak in my opinion. I always sit on my tailgate and I weigh 220. That is pretty sad that I am exceeding the limit. Sad because I am such a FA and also sad that our mighty Titans have such a weak limit.

·
Registered
142 Posts
just because the tailgate itself weighs 700 lbs. doesn't mean it can support 700 lbs.

sorry fellas... i couldn't resist:jester:

i'd suppose that it depends on how the weight is distributed. when i think of something weighing 700 lbs, i think of how heavy a big-block chevy is... which is pretty heavy. i've slid them across a tailgate on a chevy truck before without tearing the tailgate off the truck, but i don't know if i'd do that to my titan.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
2007 TITAN LE said:
200 lbs is kinda weak in my opinion. I always sit on my tailgate and I weigh 220. That is pretty sad that I am exceeding the limit. Sad because I am such a FA and also sad that our mighty Titans have such a weak limit.
There's no way that 200lbs is the max for these tailgates... Most fellas 'round here way more than that and when we tailgate at Tigers games we can get a group on them no-problem!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Spreading the weight of bikes and ATVs out across a wide area and across the width of tires as well will definately be much different than the concentration of weight in the small area of a boiler or water heater feat. The "float" of the tires and breadth of the vehicle helps disipate the weight across a wider area.

·
Registered
978 Posts
i recently hauled about 1200lb of hardie plank siding from Lowes to the house about 5 miles in town. The plank comes in 12 foot lengths, i had it sitting on a couple of 12 foot 2x8's, so a little more than 1/2 the load was in the box, the rest was cantilevered out off the tailgate. So you figure 500 pounds or so was on the tailgate. It didn't damage the tailgate, but where the cable supports mount onto the side of the box, it started to bend the cable mounts out. The tailgate still shuts and looks fine, but if you ask me would i put that much weight on my tailgate again? Absolutely not.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
kman said:
i recently hauled about 1200lb of hardie plank siding from Lowes to the house about 5 miles in town. The plank comes in 12 foot lengths, i had it sitting on a couple of 12 foot 2x8's, so a little more than 1/2 the load was in the box, the rest was cantilevered out off the tailgate. So you figure 500 pounds or so was on the tailgate. It didn't damage the tailgate, but where the cable supports mount onto the side of the box, it started to bend the cable mounts out. The tailgate still shuts and looks fine, but if you ask me would i put that much weight on my tailgate again? Absolutely not.

I doubt that even if the tailgate was rated at 200 lbs breaking strength it would have hold that kind of load because it was evenly distributed.

The working load of our tailgate is 200lbs. Now factor in about 5 times that for safety margen and you probabally have your failure range somewhere around there.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Also remember having the weight at the edge of the tailgate puts more stress on it than near the hinge. When loading something like an ATV, the entire weight of the ATV is never on the tailgate at the same time, the load is spread out between the wheels. (some on the ramp, then the tailgate, etc) I doubt that with a 500 pound ATV you ever have much more than 200-250 pounds on the tailgate at once.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have put 15 5 gallon bottles of water on the gate before (600+ lbs)
no problem... then I stood on it to jump off (165lbs) no problem....
but I sure hope those cables don't snap, they are like guitar string tight!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
cneary812 said:
I doubt that even if the tailgate was rated at 200 lbs breaking strength it would have hold that kind of load because it was evenly distributed.

The working load of our tailgate is 200lbs. Now factor in about 5 times that for safety margen and you probabally have your failure range somewhere around there.

where did you have your 2* advance done? I live close to your area, Frederick Nissan said $100 and warranty became an issue... thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts