Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed the oil yesterday afternoon and decided to take a look around the truck to see if everything else was in good shape. Then, I noticed that the rear axle seal was leaking on the right side and the differential cover was discolored. Took it into the local dealer who stated that there have been some problems with the '04 model rear ends and they would take care of it under warranty. Whew! Good thing since I just passed the initial warranty period with 39+ on my Titan. Please take a closer look at your rear end components (on your truck's of course or the wife's if you can sneak up on it) or have the dealer check it out this month while Nissan is doing the "Free 100 point inspections". You wouldn't want to wait until you have a failure like so many others have and I almost had!!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Little disapointed about this too. I looked the other day and you can see some oil around it. We'll see next year, might trade it in for the new GTR.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EV08 I wouldn't wait and I would take it in and have them look at it just to be sure. Have them check the oil level in the rear diff as well. There have been a lot of threads on this forum about rear end failures which I'm sure occured while towing (not a good time for that to happen, picture boat in tow with family and goods onboard). That would make for an unhappy trip! Your truck should be well under warranty, so make'm do their job! At least then you'll have some documentation in case you decide to keep her!
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I think I'll take it back in, I just had them replace the transfer case seal or something because I saw a little leak around the transfer case. This week I'm going to spray clean the bottom out real good and see if anymore oil is still leaking. If I see anymore leaks, I might bring it back in and have the Nissan dealership replace everything under there. This ain't right for such a new truck.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
My 04' is getting an entire rear end replaced as we speak...after bringing it in for a leaky rt axle seal...Got to love the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty!

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
my seals were ALWAYS leaking on my Jeep... transfer case front/rear, front/rear diffs, etc. No matter how much I fixed them, eventually they'd leak again... hehe seemed to be "normal" ...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well..you know what they say:

"If it's not leaking, it's out of fluid"

·
Registered
81 Posts
I changed my oil last weekend as well. I took a look underneath - wanted to check the diff and the rear axle seals. I was just looking near where the axle meets the wheel but I didn't see any seals?

Stupid question but can somebody post a pic of exactly where the rear axle seals are so I know where to look?

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
TitanArmor said:
Changed the oil yesterday afternoon and decided to take a look around the truck to see if everything else was in good shape. Then, I noticed that the rear axle seal was leaking on the right side and the differential cover was discolored. Took it into the local dealer who stated that there have been some problems with the '04 model rear ends and they would take care of it under warranty. Whew! Good thing since I just passed the initial warranty period with 39+ on my Titan. Please take a closer look at your rear end components (on your truck's of course or the wife's if you can sneak up on it) or have the dealer check it out this month while Nissan is doing the "Free 100 point inspections". You wouldn't want to wait until you have a failure like so many others have and I almost had!!:cheers:
Lucky for you, the 36000 mile warranty is a bumper to bumper, but the powertrain has a 5 yr/ 60K warranty, as loufish stated. That's what will cover your rear - figuratively AND literally! :lol:

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Energizer said:
my seals were ALWAYS leaking on my Jeep... transfer case front/rear, front/rear diffs, etc. No matter how much I fixed them, eventually they'd leak again... hehe seemed to be "normal" ...
My Land Rover marks it's territory too! The front end seals are known for that. That's ok, it hates to be on pavement anyway!

Steven

1 - 12 of 12 Posts