Nissan Titan Forum banner

Tap and die

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  ColeTheTitan 
#1 ·
I was trying to install a new 19 mm bolt on my Titan for the tow hitch that I just got, I had to take out an already existing bolt that was holding up one of the exhaust hanger in order to mount the hitch where hanger was. Not paying much attention to the bolt coming out i threaded in the new bolt and noticed something not feeling quite right, felt like it was stripping. I took the bolt out and noticed it was pretty ate up, i looked at the original bolt I took out and its coarse threaded while the new bolt is fine threaded. What should I do now? I cant thread in the new bolt and the old bolt wont even go back up in there anymore either since i buggered the hole up, I could tap the hole out but do I go a bigger size, can I tap the hole out from coarse threads to fine threads or only the other way around?

#2 ·
Try and retap it to original thread pitch and use an original pitch bolt.
Likely, it will chase down nicely to original pitch.

#4 ·
Coarse threads are farther apart than fine threads.
Retap it to coarse thread.

#5 ·
It's not clear which bolt hole is messed up, but the factory threaded hole for bolting on the factory hitch are very fine...Bolts are measured by their diameter, not the wrench size it took to remove them...

#6 ·
You're right they are very fine in fact the exact thread pitch is 1.25, in case anyone needs to know. The exact hole I was referring to is the passenger side rear mount hole (the only one on that frame) if you were installing a hitch assembly.

Since I hate it when people don't finish up their threads by adding a response as to whether the problem was corrected or not i'm here to do just that and hopefully if somebody else has this problem, this thread will help.

I did find a tap plug that was the same size as the bolt (12 mm is the hole/bolt size) like loufish said, it is not the bolt head size that matters. I used the thread pitch that the jackass used on the bolt he ran up into the hole which buggered it all up in the first place, i measured the bolt and it was a 1.75 pitch. Grabbed that exact tap and went tapping away at the hole, now keep in mind it might be stiff going up into the hole and it might feel like its getting extremely tight so what you do is just like if you were drilling something out, you go in and when you feel resistance back it back out and get the metal shavings out of there and repeat. This process took me a good 10-15 mins to finally tap the hole out completely. But once you're completely through you should be able to twist that tap all the way up and down with no resistance. Finally I ran the bolt up there before I installed the hitch and made sure it was going to thread up nicely which it did.

After I fixed that bolt/hole problem the hitch went on fine, no problems at all.

Hope this helps somebody in the future.

#7 ·
Nice finish Cole.

One thing to add, is that a squirt of motor oil or WD40 really helps when tapping or chasing buggered threads and holes.

Reactions: Titan-ization
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.