Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well does this stuff hold up?

I'm tired of polishing aluminum and don't want to mess with chrome either cause it will eventually start to pit and rust.

I want some wheels that are good looking but don't require alot of "maintenance"

I've spent a total of probably 50 hours overall (have polished them like 6 or 7 times) polishing these wheels that I currently have and they will never shine like new again, I'm convinced of that.

Do these new teflon coated wheels hold up? Is it a thick coating? Is it going to flake off? How do you "care" for them? Can you just wipe them off with some armor all or am I gonna be polishing with mother's again? What about nicks/scratches?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I buddy of mine has the teflon Thug wheels (American Racing I think) on his F250. He cleans them w/ soap and water only and they always look great. He does have a few scratches caused by an impact socket, that remind me of a frying pan.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I love mine. Basically just hose em off and be done for a quick job. Or can do a quick wipe of what dosn't come off. So far no nicks or scratches. Here are my Fuel 8's.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
My Thugs are holding up good. I just hose them off and wife them down.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
AF-Medic said:
My Thugs are holding up good. I just hose them off and wife them down.
Do you have the 4.5" backspace version or the 5.375" b.s. version ... someone said their 5.375" b.s. version didn't clear the calipers, so I curious if you had any issues with this?

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I have had ATX teflon wheels for about a year and a half, an they have seen a couple thousands mile sin the dirt and desert.

I have done zero maintenance of any kind, they got cleaned for the first time ina year when I took my truck to the car wash last week. They are holding up fine.

I have a few scratches from hitting rocks and also sloppy tire guys mounting rubber and from getting smacked with an impact gun. IF you are careful when doing these things they will be fine.

ARE does sell touch up paint for small scratches like I have but I dont care enough.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
NorCal 4x4 said:
Do you have the 4.5" backspace version or the 5.375" b.s. version ... someone said their 5.375" b.s. version didn't clear the calipers, so I curious if you had any issues with this?
I did have clearance isssues. I had to run .5 inch spacer. I caled American Racing and they said the manufactures change stuff faster than they can update. I told them to quit selling chevy crap and hope it fits on a Nissan. I got the ones that are recommended on the A.R. website for The Titans.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Oh, that may have been you I was referring too. I was hoping you were someone else with the 4.5" backspacing ... trying to make certain they clear. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Mine are 17x9 with 4.5 BS I did a tiny bit of grinding on the calipers and they fit fine.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
AF-Medic said:
I told them to quit selling chevy crap and hope it fits on a Nissan. I got the ones that are recommended on the A.R. website for The Titans.
Aint that the truth! At first they told me they had some in stock, I went to order and they couldnt locate them. Then they called me back and said they found the one last set of 18" Mojaves. I think these are for a chevy, they stick out about 3" .I had alot of fender and bumper trimming to do.

Back to the topic: I like em' alot! they are about the only thing on my truck that stays clean! Mud just slides right off.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about dog/cat piss? My neighbors dogs/cats seem to have a fondness for my wheels!! That stuff has really corroded these current wheels. Maybe It would just run right off with the teflon??? LOL

Thanks for the answers.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
That's a different story..... Dog & cat urine is nasty stuff. Best to just scare the critters away....

Try sprinkling "stinky" substances around the problem area, including:

dried-blood fertilizer
mothballs (drop them into a can or jar, cover, and make a few holes in the cover).
cayenne pepper flakes (but see below)
ammonia

Note that mothballs are toxic, thus the recommendation that you use them in a covered can or jar. Avoid even this usage if small children will be in the yard and could, potentially, open such a can or jar. Note also that some people caution against using cayenne pepper in this fashion, saying it can be harmful to cats. So if you're an animal lover and tend to be on the cautious side, then save the cayenne pepper to flavor your food!

If you want to go high tech, Ultrasound devices such as Cat Stop operate on a high frequency. It's inaudible to humans but unbearable for cats/dogs. Installation is easy. You simply situate the device so that it faces toward the truck. A motion sensor detects the intruder's presence, and Cat Stop then gives off its high-frequency sound, scaring off the cat/dog. It works similar to those sonic mole-away devices, but with sound.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
54warrior said:
How about dog/cat piss? My neighbors dogs/cats seem to have a fondness for my wheels!! That stuff has really corroded these current wheels. Maybe It would just run right off with the teflon??? LOL

Thanks for the answers.
Someone told me that cats are attracted to a scent from the polished aluminum alloy rims. They are usually clear coated, so idk. Maybe the clear coat wears off fast.

I haven't noticed any cats around my OEM painted rims, so I think chrome, painted, or Teflon might be the way to go.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My polished aluminum wheels aren't clear coated. Interesting!!!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
The neighbors dog makes his rounds and stops at my truck as well! I hate that bastard! I've tried those citrus scented sprays but they dont work. The piss doesnt appear to be damaging the Teflon though.
I went ahead and bought my son his first BB gun (he's 10 months :) )
let me catch that dog hikin' his leg again!
I'd say go with the Teflons. I'm actually looking to have my speed grill and fender flares Teflon coated or color matched, I like em so much.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I have never seen anyone offer the teflon coating for stock wheels. ARE offers iton the ATX wheels

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Well I don't know about Teflon coated wheels, but I have a lot of experience with powdercoated wheels, and I have to say, powdercoating seems to be extremely durable, trust me, I have put all of mine through a lot of abuse on the track, and in fact just bought a set of Titan OEM 17" OR wheels used from here and plan to powdercoat them.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
AF-Medic said:
I did have clearance isssues. I had to run .5 inch spacer. I caled American Racing and they said the manufactures change stuff faster than they can update. I told them to quit selling chevy crap and hope it fits on a Nissan. I got the ones that are recommended on the A.R. website for The Titans.
What back spacing do you have and could you have just did a little grinding on the caliper or was it too much for that? thanks I'm thinking of getting AR Predators 17x8.5 5.375 back spacing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts