Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys. I am in the market for a brake controller for my Titan and I think I have narrowed it down to either the Prodigy 2 or 3. I have read the Tekonsha site but really looking for your personal experience with regard to either one. I also think I am going to order the special plug and play harness I have seen mentioned here on the forum instead of using the factory harness in the glovebox. Also, where did you mount the unit?

Anything about:
  1. Ease of installation
  2. Time to install
  3. Cost and where you bought
  4. What you tow and its weight
  5. How many miles and in what conditions do you tow

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Hi guys. I am in the market for a brake controller for my Titan and I think I have narrowed it down to either the Prodigy 2 or 3. I have read the Tekonsha site but really looking for your personal experience with regard to either one. I also think I am going to order the special plug and play harness I have seen mentioned here on the forum instead of using the factory harness in the glovebox. Also, where did you mount the unit?

Anything about:
  1. Ease of installation
  2. Time to install
  3. Cost and where you bought
  4. What you tow and its weight
  5. How many miles and in what conditions do you tow

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.
So easy, even a caveman can do it!...lol. I have the Prodigy 2 and really like it. It's dummy proof. All the inertia controls are automatic so all you set is the amount of braking force you want and how soon you want it. It also works in reverse if you need that.
1-simple...especially with the plug-n-play harness. Just decide where to place it.
2- I think it was about 1/2 hr or so.
3- About $100-$120 a couple years ago.
4- 32' Jayco TT total is about 8k to 8600K LBS
5- I've towed too many miles to remember and in all but winter conditions.

I thing the difference between version 2 and 3 is like the iphone. Both do essentially the same things just a newer design. I wouldn't part with my Prodigy if that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
I've got the P3. Plugs right in, once you actually locate the plug in. Had to take the lower portion of the dash apart. I mounted mine under the dash under the steering wheel to the metal frame. I had to mount it there because it needs to be level. That's something to keep in mind. I was going to mount it to the side of the center column until I read that it had to be level. As for usage, it's pretty straight forward. Just plug and play.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
They are not the same... The P3 supports Hydraulic Over Electric brakes whereas the P2 does not... Some newer larger boat trailers, horse trailers, etc, are now coming with Hydraulic Over Electric brakes instead of Surge Brakes because the HOE is more controlled and reliable for long term longevity while still being resistant to water damage.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I've got the P3. Plugs right in, once you actually locate the plug in. Had to take the lower portion of the dash apart. I mounted mine under the dash under the steering wheel to the metal frame. I had to mount it there because it needs to be level. That's something to keep in mind. I was going to mount it to the side of the center column until I read that it had to be level. As for usage, it's pretty straight forward. Just plug and play.
Level? My Prodigy directions say it can be mounted up to a 70 degree angle. Mines nowhere NEAR level. Works perfectly. http://www.marksrv.com/brake_control/prodigy_manual.pdf

Pops....it's the same otherwise though right? I wasn't even aware they offered hydrolic brakes for trailers. Good to know.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
Level? My Prodigy directions say it can be mounted up to a 70 degree angle. Mines nowhere NEAR level. Works perfectly. http://www.marksrv.com/brake_control/prodigy_manual.pdf

Pops....it's the same otherwise though right? I wasn't even aware they offered hydrolic brakes for trailers. Good to know.
Nope. The P3 states that it has to be level. Probably the hydro thingy. I don't have those type of brakes, but ran into a good deal on the P3 so that's why I got it. New shipped to my door I paid $100.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Joe, I think Scottysize is right about it needing to be level, something to do with the Inertia Sensor w/ HOE... I'd have to reread the installation instructions to confirm for sure since not all documentation matches, but that does sound about right...

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have the P2. Tow a 33 foot TT about 7K# loaded. All in Ga where there are not many hills to climb. It works great. Took longer to decide where to put it then it did to install it. Just to the right of the data connector at the bottom of the dash. That way I can reach it with my hand if I need to apply more break quickly. Get the connector plug, well worth the $10.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have the P2 and like it alot. Paide about 129.00 with the Nissan harness.
I mounted mine with velcrow to the left side of the dash, it was to hard to see and get to down low for me.
18' steel trailer with 2 axles and a Jeep, or atleast 1 used to. Sold the Jeep 2 weeks ago
The P2 can be mounted 45* if I remember right and was easy to install once I found the plug in under the dash
It is a progressive controler and works well

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
I have the P2. Good stuff there. No problems. It's saved my butt a couple of times.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wow guys. the reviews and information are greatly appreciated. Still looking to learn more if there are others.

I think I like the sound of the P3 with the adapter plug harness for our Titans. This is the lowest price I can find for both of them together at etrailer: http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller-with-Wiring/Tekonsha/90195-3050P.html . $154.90 with free shipping. I also found a video that they did for it on youtube that gave a code and 5% off. I don't know if the code works with free shipping.

Anyone know off hand of cheaper? I mean just off the top of your head...please dont search or anything. I have done that and come close but figure getting both from the same place is easier.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Wow guys. the reviews and information are greatly appreciated. Still looking to learn more if there are others.

I think I like the sound of the P3 with the adapter plug harness for our Titans. This is the lowest price I can find for both of them together at etrailer: Tekonsha P3 Proportional Brake Controller with Nissan Adapter Tekonsha Brake Controller with Wiring 90195-3050P . $154.90 with free shipping. I also found a video that they did for it on youtube that gave a code and 5% off. I don't know if the code works with free shipping.

Anyone know off hand of cheaper? I mean just off the top of your head...please dont search or anything. I have done that and come close but figure getting both from the same place is easier.

Thanks!

If you have electric brakes, it sounds like a better idea would be the Prodigy P2 model with the Nissan connector. At least it doesn't have to be level and can be mounted on up to a 70 degree surface angle making it easier to install and reach.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pops: Thanks for the heads up on the pricing:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the P3. I mounted it directly beneath dash, centered on the steering column. There is a metal cross-brace that runs behind the plastic knee board; I just drilled and tapped that and mounted the controller there with its own bracket.

As for the wiring harness, I saw no reason to spend $14 on another 3-ft of wire when I could just shorten the harness included with the truck and make up my connections with the harness included with the controller. It made for a much tidier installation since my cable is only as long as it needed to be to reach the plug.

Reactions: markmark

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
I have the P3. I mounted it directly beneath dash, centered on the steering column. There is a metal cross-brace that runs behind the plastic knee board; I just drilled and tapped that and mounted the controller there with its own bracket.
Mine's installed in the same exact place by doing the same exact procedure. I was afraid that I would hit it with my leg getting in and out, but so far I have never even come close to hitting it.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
As for the wiring harness, I saw no reason to spend $14 on another 3-ft of wire when I could just shorten the harness included with the truck and make up my connections with the harness included with the controller. It made for a much tidier installation since my cable is only as long as it needed to be to reach the plug.
"Zipties"... :rofl:

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
I bought the adapter cable thinking I would be removing the controller when it was not needed. Um, I've never taken it out since it was installed. The adapter cable did save me a bit of time during the install. Probably not $14 worth of time but I think I would buy it again.

·
Registered
163 Posts
"Zipties"... :rofl:
I'm not opposed to using zipties when no other alternative exists. I've used them to keep my kids in one spot before. :coolsmile

(they sat there and played with them!)

Reactions: Pops
1 - 20 of 41 Posts