Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. I bought a '06 SE Crew w/22k on it about 10 days ago. LOVE the truck so far... it was a one owner and was so clean it didn't need detailing.

I've read online that it has the flex fuel option...

Does that mean I can put E-85 in the tank without doing anything special? I **think** there's a station close by that carries it, but don't want to try it until I know for sure that it's okay.

How does this affect gas mileage, if any?

Anything I should know, good or bad?

Thanks,

Gary Collier
Albany, Ga.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
If the inside of your fuel filler door has a label that states E85 can be used, then fill 'er up and watch your mileage go down.

·
Registered
321 Posts
E85 get worse mileage, so you'll be at the pump more often, therefore negating any benefit of the cheaper price.

·
Registered
301 Posts
E85 will give you a worse gas mileage, about 4 miles/ gallon less then regular gasoline. Here in South Carolina E-85 is $2.60/ gallon and regular gasoline is $2.72/ gallon, so it doesn't justify it for me.

·
Super Moderator
162,263 Posts
With a fuel density (IIRC) that's about 28% less than gasoline, you'd have to find E85 at that same percentage less in price to make up the difference. Unless you just want to feel more "green" when driving your truck that is. If that's the case, just do like Musky says. Fill 'er up. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, guys.

I wuz wrong... there are 3 stations that carry E85 but they're about 75 miles from here in Warner Robins, Ga.

Know what's weird? Warner Robins has 3 stations.

Atlanta has 1. Go figure!!

I may try it out next time I'm in WR, just for curiosity, but it's not a regular option like I thought it was.

I didn't know about the decreased mileage, either.

Thanks for the help!

Gary

·
Registered
61 Posts
brazad said:
Thanks, guys.

I wuz wrong... there are 3 stations that carry E85 but they're about 75 miles from here in Warner Robins, Ga.

I may try it out next time I'm in WR, just for curiosity, but it's not a regular option like I thought it was.

Thanks for the help!

Gary
There is 1 public E85 station in metro Atlanta. It is located in Smyrna

·
Registered
224 Posts
Apart from all the environmental issues for using E-85 I thought you should not fill up with E-85 unless you have at least 1/2 tank of regular gasoline mix it with. If you fill up with a full tank of E-85 without mixing it with regular gas its too drastic a change for the engine??? Likewise, if you are going back to gasoline you need to have at least a 1/2 tank of E-85 to mix it with. Isn’t there also something about hard to start during warm weather when using E-85? Maybe someone who has used it can confirm the mixing and staring issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
yea i got the flex fuel on my 08 but never tried it. wanted to know the pros and cons about it first besides the cost and milage

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
brazad said:
Thanks, guys.

Thanks for the help!

Gary

You don't think the Government had anything to do with the locations of the E85 stations by Warner Robbins do you? :evillaugh

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
roy365 said:
You don't think the Government had anything to do with the locations of the E85 stations by Warner Robbins do you? :evillaugh

I have no idea where Warner Robbins is but if there is a large government installation there or some DOE testing facilities around there that would explain why there are so many there. I have yet to see any E85 stations around Maryland but there are a few in Baltimore and DC I believe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I drove to Perry, Ga. tonight (right next door to Warner Robins, home of WR Air Force Base) for something else and spotted a sign in I-75 that E85 fuel was available at exit 135 - 3 miles from where I was going! So on the way home I stopped and topped off the tank - it took 10 gallons, and I'm going to see how this mixed tank of gas does with mileage.

Oh yeah, in the FWIW department...

87 octane was selling for $2.99 and the E85 was $2.69.

Gary

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts