Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to have termite treating for my house. I don't know how to look for a reputable company to do the job. I plan to tent the whole house. I see and heard many bad stories regarding contractors.

I need your advices. What do I need to ask/look for at the contractors. What are my options? Aprroximately, how much it costs for a 1200 sq feet house?

Your advices are greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Where is the house?
My neighbor does that work in the Los Angeles area.
You can trust him.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
I will mention it to Jay when I see him later today.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank P's and Walleene for the information. I live in OC. Westminster area.
I am researching for a contractor. My friend in Irvine wants to do his house too. We might get our houses tent at the same time.

Walleen, please PM me your friend #.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Not sure where you are but in Florida you have 2 options on the chemical. Methyl Bromide is the cheapest but it reacts with foam rubber to produce a rotten egg smell that persists. That means you have to rip out your carpet because of the foam pad - mattess and couches have to be moved out. The other chemical is Vikane - much more expensive but does not react with foam. Several years ago I had my house renovated with custom oak cabinets throughout. The oak they used was infested with powderpost beetles. I learned alot about tenting a house.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
first what kind of Termites do you have, subteranian or drywood? Each Termite gets a different type of treatment. If you have Sub's then you don't need to tent the house but if you have drywood's you do. Tenting sucks!! The after effect is bad. Sub's are easy with a good techinician that knows what he/she is doing.

I don't know the going rates where your at but cheapest isn't always the best. Also with what ever company your going with, your treatment should also inslude a termite bond that is good for at least one year then you renew it. Also some companies will only inspect after the first year when it's time to renew and some companies will retreat the outside. Take that in to consideration. Good Luck. Termites are nasty for home owners.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Shane06fl said:
first what kind of Termites do you have, subteranian or drywood? Each Termite gets a different type of treatment. If you have Sub's then you don't need to tent the house but if you have drywood's you do. Tenting sucks!! The after effect is bad. Sub's are easy with a good techinician that knows what he/she is doing.

I don't know the going rates where your at but cheapest isn't always the best. Also with what ever company your going with, your treatment should also inslude a termite bond that is good for at least one year then you renew it. Also some companies will only inspect after the first year when it's time to renew and some companies will retreat the outside. Take that in to consideration. Good Luck. Termites are nasty for home owners.
:imwithstu The previous owners of my house had these suckers. They treated the house for like $400 or so I believe but that's in KY. Looks like they drilled holes in the block foundation and sprayed something. It did the job and there was only damage to one floor joist. these suckers live in the ground around the house so we're thinking of having the perimeter sprayed. The house is all brick but it just takes one small opening before they return. :crying:

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
SS Thunder yeah they drill and treat and fill up the block voids with chemical. Also they can trench and treat or treat by rod, this method is pretty effective for termit control but so so for active termites. The drill and treat is real good. if you do a another treatment do the trench and treat. They ''should'' trench the ground around the edge of the home. In Florida they should go 6 wide and 12 inches deep and then put cheminal amount per the amount of feet around the home. It works very good and when done puts a wonderful barrier of termite coolaid around the home. And yes I use to do Termite work and stayed:hungry:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts