Nissan Titan Forum banner

Terra Grappler vs. Open Country

4K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  supertitan 
#1 ·
How much of a difference is there really between these tires? They seem so close in a lot of specs and also in appearance. Are they basically the same tire? Is it one of those things where I should go with whichever one is cheaper? I looked locally today and got quoted the following for Toyo Open Country ATs:
LT275/65R18 - $249+tax installed
P265/70R18 - $199+tax installed

Seems like a decent deal, but some of the comparable Nittos are a few bucks cheaper. What do ya think?

#2 ·
I've had the terra grapplers on for about 10K miles, but I have the 285/70/17's. I really like them, about the only negative I can come up with would be they are slightly louder on the highway then the bald bfg's they replaced. They work great in snow, and light off road stuff, they look great as well. I have no experience with the open country's, but toyo does make a very good tire. Probably can't go wrong with either.

#3 ·
Can't speak for the terra's, but I have the toyo m/t's 295 70 17, and they are great. They are wearing great, and are not very loud. If the windows are up and the radio is on I don't hear the tires. They do very good in mud and on wet roads. No complaints from me.

#4 ·
I went from terra 33's a/t to toyo m/t 35's big diffrence on road huge diffrence off road, my new 35mts are a little louder than the old a/t's Iam probably going with nitto m/ts 37s next

#6 ·
Don't know to much about the Toyo's but I do love my Nitto's. I have the 305/55/R20's and there great for moderate off-roading and handle really well in the rain and mud. I've heard good things about Toyo's as well but my preference is Nitto. I will probably go with the same exact tire once these are used up.

#9 ·
dank78 said:
How much of a difference is there really between these tires? They seem so close in a lot of specs and also in appearance. Are they basically the same tire? Is it one of those things where I should go with whichever one is cheaper? I looked locally today and got quoted the following for Toyo Open Country ATs:
LT275/65R18 - $249+tax installed
P265/70R18 - $199+tax installed

Seems like a decent deal, but some of the comparable Nittos are a few bucks cheaper. What do ya think?
I don't see a 265/70/18 listed on Toyo's web site.

#11 ·
I just ordered some 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers today, I'll let you know what I think about them after the install and test drive.

#13 ·
SKEET said:
I found them.Do you know anywhere else that might have them that might have some specs on the tire.It shows a load rating of 114 but I have no idea what that means.I would like to know the weight of the tire.
I've looked for specs too, but can't seem to find any. I guess e-mailing the sales department might be the next step.

#15 ·
I've had the Grapplers for over a year now and the wear has been much better than the stock Goodyears they replaced. Road noise is present but minimal IMO. I have the 285/60/18 size on the stock SE 18" rims and have received many compliments on the look. The Grapplers are on the heavy side at about 53 lbs.

#16 ·
The Canadian Toyo site has the specs for several sizes of Open Country AT and MT tires, that are not listed on Toyo.com:

AT:
http://www.toyocanada.com/products/sizesLT.asp?Sizes=OPAT&Data+Request=Get+Data

MT:
http://www.toyocanada.com/products/sizesLT.asp?Sizes=OPMT&Data+Request=Get+Data
I like the Canadian Toyo MT in LT295/70R17 ... 33.5" diameter x 12" on a 17" x 8.5" rim. Their Canadian site doesn't have weight listed, but the Toyo MTs are heavy, and based upon on their other sizes probably 75 lbs.

#17 ·
Do you tow? Or do you go offroad in areas where the sidewalls may be exposed to rocks, etc.?

If so, consider getting LT designated tires rather than the metric P's which are designed for smooth ride and have easily cut sidewalls. And LT designated tires usually have much higher load rating for towing than the P's.

#18 ·
I'll be doing some mild towing, nothing heavy though. As for offroading, a little here and there. I'm leaning towards the P rated tires for these reasons. I've had P rated tires on my Frontier and Titan and haven't had any problems with "easily" cut sidewalls. I think i'd have to do some serious offroading to worry about that. A local shop can get me out the door for only $60 more than ordering everything online and taking the tires somewhere to get m+b.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.