Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the Trail Grapplers. Have had them for almost 10k miles.

I like the Trail's, but realistically I'm on-road more than I'm off-road. The traction on road of the Trails isn't the greatest.

I was looking for anyone who has tried both the Terra's and Trail's... and can give me a comparison.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
The trails are heavier and louder on pavement.. The Terras are a better All-Around tire... My next set will likely be Cooper STT. :D

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The trails are heavier and louder on pavement.. The Terras are a better All-Around tire... My next set will likely be Cooper STT. :D
Whenever I turn, it's a B!TCH to turn!! I have to throw the wheel around. I assume this is because of their weight? Or is this another, separate issue?

35x12.50-20

·
Registered
889 Posts
I've got the Trail Grapplers. Have had them for almost 10k miles.

I like the Trail's, but realistically I'm on-road more than I'm off-road. The traction on road of the Trails isn't the greatest.

I was looking for anyone who has tried both the Terra's and Trail's... and can give me a comparison.
Thats interesting to hear. I was gonna try them out in Feb. Sounds like Ill just buy another set of stt's.ftw

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Whenever I turn, it's a B!TCH to turn!! I have to throw the wheel around. I assume this is because of their weight? Or is this another, separate issue?

35x12.50-20
I have no idea, I just know the Terra Grapplers feel kinda like driving on street tires.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
I have 325/60r18 Terra's and really like and enjoyed them. They have done exceptional well all around, especially in 3-4ft of snow. My next set will be the Trail Grapplers, but not as wide and a bit taller.

·
Registered
855 Posts
i have both, the trails look better but are heavy and loud, the terras are a good winter tire, thats what i use mine for.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am planning on getting the trails pretty soon here once my current set of treads wear out. I prefer the trails as they def have a very aggressive look which looks great in my opinion. If your not too worried about how aggressive of a tread you have and you don't offroad much then save some money and get the terras. Both are great tires from what i hear

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
i have both, the trails look better but are heavy and loud, the terras are a good winter tire, thats what i use mine for.

The Terra's are fairly quiet tire. If comparing the two how load are the Trails to the Terra's?

I've been thinking of putting up a feeler to see if someone would be interesting my Terra's as I'm looking to go a bit taller. Mine only have about 15k miles on them.

·
Registered
777 Posts
How much air are you running in your trails? If your pressure is too low it will be hard to steer, I run 42-43psi in my Terra's.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much air are you running in your trails? If your pressure is too low it will be hard to steer, I run 42-43psi in my Terra's.
Great point. When I had them rotated recently by Discount Tire, I asked what the PSI was and they said 35. I think stock is 35.

Trail Grappler max PSI is 65 I believe. I think I'll bump it up to 40 and give that a try.

·
Registered
855 Posts
i run 40psi in my Terras and 50psi im my Trails

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Great point. When I had them rotated recently by Discount Tire, I asked what the PSI was and they said 35. I think stock is 35.

Trail Grappler max PSI is 65 I believe. I think I'll bump it up to 40 and give that a try.
I've also seen a thread on here where someone was complaining about how bad the power steering is and how tough it was to turn. Think a couple of others agreed but mine has always been very easy as well as most Titans. So if the psi boost to your tires doesn't help, maybe your Titan has the same issue that they had, (or maybe they just had low pressure too). :eyebrow:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've also seen a thread on here where someone was complaining about how bad the power steering is and how tough it was to turn. Think a couple of others agreed but mine has always been very easy as well as most Titans. So if the psi boost to your tires doesn't help, maybe your Titan has the same issue that they had, (or maybe they just had low pressure too). :eyebrow:
I'm hoping it's something so simple... Although I'd feel like a [email protected] if that was causing this all along. I just checked, all the tires were 32 PSI. I bumped it up to 45 PSI.

Need to run some errands. After I get back I'll report back and let you know if it worked.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have the trails and I have no problems with turning. I love these tires!

·
Registered
889 Posts
It's those damn novakanes. Just sell them to me cheap, that will fix it. Lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the Terra Grapplers and they have over 50K on them and still have plenty of tread. Looking for the Trails in late winter 2011 but they are pricey$$. Never had any trouble turning with 35 psi.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Another member on here advised me that Nitto recomends 50psi with the Terra's for our trucks. The place that installed mine put 65 in them and they handle a tad squirrley.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Another member on here advised me that Nitto recomends 50psi with the Terra's for our trucks. The place that installed mine put 65 in them and they handle a tad squirrley.
Careful on that recommendation. Some Terra Grapplers are available in passenger sizes, and their maximum is 35 psi in most cases.

Your light truck version, the LT275/70R18 E will take 80 psi for it's maximum load, but your Titan will never weigh in at 14,560 pound to require 80 psi.

At 50 psi they will handle 10,720 pounds. Most run the LT sizes between 40 and 45 psi. At 40 psi, your tires will still handle 2270 pounds a piece, for a total of 9080 lbs.

Since even 35 psi will handle 8280 pounds, the main thing you want is even tread wear. I've seen where some guys on here put a chalk mark across the tread and if it wears off in the center first ... too much air, and if near the shoulders ... too little air.

When I tried it I was thinking it would be best at hwy. speeds in case centrifugal force or other factors came into play. But by time I stopped to check all of the chalk was gone ... maybe I had it just right, but I need to try it with some black paint or something to see. Currently I'm running my Terra's at 45 psi.

Btw, the aftermarket siping I had done a couple of months back has helped the rain traction a lot compared to last season. I only spun just a little from one stop sign today, and I took a couple of curves that didn't have anything around them, (in case I spun out), a little fast, and they held great.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts