Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to test drive a 2006 Titan SE, crew cab, 4X4 this afternoon.
How can I tell if the truck has a limited slip differential. Also, any help on what to look for when checking over the vehicle.
I live near the beach in Wilmington, NC. Most of my off roading is on the beach in deep soft sand.
May also try out a 2005 Titan LE, crew cab, 4X4. Any help on this yr. also would be appreciated.
I have owned several Ford F-150 extended cab, 4X4, own 2 now. Let a little air out of the tires & they have performed great on the beach.
I like some of the features & appearance of the Titan compared to the Ford F-150 but a little nervous about making a change from Ford which I have never had any problems.
I have heard that the Titan brake issue is not a problem on the 2006, however there is a rear end problem. would like to hear from you guys on those & any other issues concerning the Titan.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
crabait said:
I am going to test drive a 2006 Titan SE, crew cab, 4X4 this afternoon.
How can I tell if the truck has a limited slip differential. Also, any help on what to look for when checking over the vehicle.
I live near the beach in Wilmington, NC. Most of my off roading is on the beach in deep soft sand.
May also try out a 2005 Titan LE, crew cab, 4X4. Any help on this yr. also would be appreciated.
I have owned several Ford F-150 extended cab, 4X4, own 2 now. Let a little air out of the tires & they have performed great on the beach.
I like some of the features & appearance of the Titan compared to the Ford F-150 but a little nervous about making a change from Ford which I have never had any problems.
I have heard that the Titan brake issue is not a problem on the 2006, however there is a rear end problem. would like to hear from you guys on those & any other issues concerning the Titan.
Thanks!
There is no factory limited slip on any Titan...if that truck has the off-road package, there will be an electronic locker and the switch for that will be under the A/C controls. The only way there is a limited slip is if someone added a Detroit Trutrac, but that will be aftermarket. Also, my 06 4x4 has 18K miles on it, and I'm starting to get brake judder at highway speeds (rotors warping)...only the 08 trucks have bigger brakes.

·
Registered
740 Posts
You should look at the 08 Pro 4X models. The 08's are easily getting $10,000 off sticker. You will not be saving that much buying used. My local dealer has two used Titans on the lot and they cannot get rid of them because soemone can get new for almost the same price as used. Get the rear locker and you will have an awesome OR truck in the sand. The 08's have none of the problems you are worried about. You should have very little problems with even an 05 or 06. Most of the stuff you read on forums are from people with problems. There are many more highly satisfied people with Titans who do not visit the forums. The squeaky wheel gets the oil, if you know what I mean. You should be very happy with a Titan.

·
Premium Member
4,320 Posts
jaho1979 said:
There is no factory limited slip on any Titan...if that truck has the off-road package, there will be an electronic locker and the switch for that will be under the A/C controls. The only way there is a limited slip is if someone added a Detroit Trutrac, but that will be aftermarket. Also, my 06 4x4 has 18K miles on it, and I'm starting to get brake judder at highway speeds (rotors warping)...only the 08 trucks have bigger brakes.
My 2005 LE 4X4 has ABLS (anti lock brake limited slip) as a standard feature.

Clint

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Clint said:
My 2005 LE 4X4 has ABLS (anti lock brake limited slip) as a standard feature.

Clint
That's Active Brake Limited Slip but it's still an open differential that uses the ABS electronics to slow the slipping wheel. It doesn't work as well as a true LSD rear. I like that we have it up front though too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts