Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking to get into an 08 Titan LE. This is the second dealer I contacted and actually visited. Today, over lunch hour I went and test drove one. It was a silver LE. Initially, when the salesman tried starting the car it barely started and acted like the battery was weak but it didn't seem like it. It took atleast 20 seconds to start. The guy told me that it was the battery. I took it at face value at first. We went on a 20min test drive. We came back and parked on the dealer lot. I wanted to see if it would happen the same thing. I shut off the truck and it started fine. However, when the salesman tried to moved the truck into the back lot a few secs later it was having the same issue.At this point, I didn't think it was a battery issue. As we talked about my concerns he down played the situation and act like the dealer would fix it if anything would go wrong after purchase. I went along with wht he said but later emailed back him saying no thanks. What could cause this issue on this truck with 18miles? Was it worth to buy it? My gutt tells me no while my heads says yes.

On a different note. On my drive home from work, a third dealer contacted me and telling me about his truck. In the middle of telling me about the truck he totally stopped aburptly and said he will call back. Never heard a peep about it. It has been a few hours. Why the bad service?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think you made a smart move by saying no. It could be the battery, water in the fuel, perhaps a bad fuel pump connection or who knows. But if you know a new vehicle has an issue, I would avoid it.

Keep in mind, even if the dealer will fix any issues, you have to take time out to bring it into the dealer, drop it off, pick it up, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used to work at a dealership and what we saw alot was the same issue. Sometimes the cars sit on the lot and get started for 5, 10, or even 20 minutes for test drives. The battery never gets a true even charge. This greatly shortens the battery life to the point sometimes that we would have to change the battery out before delivery. You can tell if its a battery issue or not. The engine will turn over normal if it is not a battery issue. A bad battery shows a normal crank and gradually dies down to not turning over at all.
Customer Service is everything when buying a vehicle!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chyzm said:
I used to work at a dealership and what we saw alot was the same issue. Sometimes the cars sit on the lot and get started for 5, 10, or even 20 minutes for test drives. The battery never gets a true even charge. This greatly shortens the battery life to the point sometimes that we would have to change the battery out before delivery. You can tell if its a battery issue or not. The engine will turn over normal if it is not a battery issue. A bad battery shows a normal crank and gradually dies down to not turning over at all.
Customer Service is everything when buying a vehicle!
Another thing I forgot to add was the the 4X4 light was lit and never shut off doing the test drive. It finally shut off when i restarted the truck the second time 20mins later.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Its a bad battery and the low voltage is causing the light

·
Registered
198 Posts
When I was shopping for my '07 one of the dealers I went to had a truck that had been in inventory for a long time.
It had a real low serial # (6000 range vs. the newer ones in the 45000 range).
They took a long time to 'find it on the lot' and I noticed that there were scrapes on the battery terminals.
I assumed it sat so long the battery died & had to be jumped.

New vehicles do put a continious drain on batteries keeping various settings & the alarm systems 'active'.
And (as noted above) dealers do frequently move things around on the lot, so they are being started & run for a few minutes - never really charging properly.

If you are really interested in that truck, I'd ask for a new battery as part of the deal or adjust my offer by $150 to offset having to replace it earlier than normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts