Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is 205..

The Texas Auto Writers Association said Tuesday that the new, diesel-powered Nissan Titan XD was the 2015 Texas Truck of the Year and the Ford F-Series won Truck Line of Texas, alongside 22 other awards in a bi-annual affair held on non-consecutive Sundays until an eventual winner is crowned after a round-robin, double-elimination playoff.

The award for the Titan XD is the first for the truck, which will go on sale in December. Texas auto writers awarded the Ram 2500 with best heavy-duty pickup, Ram 1500 Rebel as the best full-size pickup and the new Toyota Tacoma as the best mid-size pickup.

According to the association, 69 writers voted on 24 awards.

Volvo’s XC90 won best luxury crossover and was awarded CUV of Texas.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles netted the most awards by any automaker with eight total awards including best mid-size SUV for the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel.

The Titan XD won best luxury pickup and best off-roading pickup, albeit in two different trims.

The Texas Auto Writers Association will meet again in March to hand out 19 more awards.

·
Registered
282 Posts
That's awesome, just the sort of thing it needs right before being launched, i'm sure Nissan will make sure they run with this and let it be known... since they are at a big turning point for the titan.

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
That's awesome, just the sort of thing it needs right before being launched, i'm sure Nissan will make sure they run with this and let it be known... since they are at a big turning point for the titan.
Run with it? Nissan has ALL YEAR to run with with its marketing, or lack thereof, for the XD. However, they have chosen to not do so. This truck has been doomed for failure from the first rough draft. Some forum members have speculated that this will be the end of the line for the Titan, and that soon it will be dropped from production. I guess only time will tell, but if Nissan does drop production of the truck it will be their own fault for lack of attention to detail and failure to listen to their current and prospective buyers.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Run with it? Nissan has ALL YEAR to run with with its marketing, or lack thereof, for the XD. However, they have chosen to not do so. This truck has been doomed for failure from the first rough draft. Some forum members have speculated that this will be the end of the line for the Titan, and that soon it will be dropped from production. I guess only time will tell, but if Nissan does drop production of the truck it will be their own fault for lack of attention to detail and failure to listen to their current and prospective buyers.
Same thing happened to the Xterra. They could have marketed it to the jeep crowd and shown that it pretty much does everything a jeep does except lose its top, but they just let it die. My parents have an '02. We've driven that thing to the brink and back and it's still kicking. My brother has a '14 pro-4x manual that is sick.

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
Same thing happened to the Xterra. They could have marketed it to the jeep crowd and shown that it pretty much does everything a jeep does except lose its top, but they just let it die. My parents have an '02. We've driven that thing to the brink and back and it's still kicking. My brother has a '14 pro-4x manual that is sick.
^^^Exactly!^^^

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Truck of the year? Best luxury, best offroad? That's pushing it. But then again, it sounds like they gave every truck some sort of award.

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
Truck of the year? Best luxury, best offroad? That's pushing it. But then again, it sounds like they gave every truck some sort of award.
lol i cant believe it got the off road award. its not an offroad truck

·
Registered
2,942 Posts

·
Super Moderator
161,488 Posts
There were other factors that led to Nissan's decision to kill the Xterra.

·
Super Moderator
161,488 Posts
As for the award? Greatest award nobody ever heard of. Meaningless.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I hadn't realized they killed off the Xterra. That's a shame they turned the Pathfinder into a soft roader and then they ax the Xterra. Looks like the 4 runner is one of the last true midsize SUV's.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Yeah this year is the last for the Xterra. The main reason was for safety and emissions upgrades that would cost more than they'd make because not many people bought them. Not many people bought them because they were barely ever advertised. On the other hand, I see Jeep Wranglers advertised all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
Yeah this year is the last for the Xterra. The main reason was for safety and emissions upgrades that would cost more than they'd make because not many people bought them. Not many people bought them because they were barely ever advertised. On the other hand, I see Jeep Wranglers advertised all the time.
Again, pretty much hit the nail on the head.

·
Super Moderator
36,145 Posts
What did they base this award on? A truck that isn't even on the market yet?

Similar to Obama and the Nobel Peace Prize.

Pure marketing shiz.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts

·
Super Moderator
161,488 Posts
It had less to do with advertising than the fact that the truck was a dated machine with high gas consumption and very low sales which was going to require a high investment to update. Given that Nissan has CAFE regs to worry about, and don't forget they're in the business to make money, it was a no brainer for them. There are better, more capable trucks out there. Like the Jeep, and at least a dozen others you don't mention.

Read the article below and notice that the article doesn't mention advertising as it's downfall. It became obsolete based on consumer preference. Sorry, but though you may have liked it, you and these other few who are whining about it's demise aren't the kind of numbers to make it viable. Could they have made a run of it with a new model? You could argue either way and have a chance of being right, but in my opinion even the high point of sales wasn't enough to convince the bean counters it was worth the try. To be honest, I'm surprised the bean counters gave the nod to a new Titan, and for many or even most of the same reasons.

Xtra! Xtra! Nissan Xterra to Die After 2015 Model Year ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

·
Super Moderator
161,488 Posts
What did they base this award on? A truck that isn't even on the market yet?

Similar to Obama and the Nobel Peace Prize.

Pure marketing shiz.
Yes. That and nothing more.

Reactions: Pickle-Smooch

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I had a XD driving next to me today, that thing is definitely a 3/4 ton sized truck & the motor was quite. It had a weight distribution hitch on it so it must of been one of the test mules that have been running up north in the mountains
Nice looking truck in person

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
I had a XD driving next to me today, that thing is definitely a 3/4 ton sized truck & the motor was quite. They has a weight distribution hitch on it so it must of been one of the test mules that have been running up north in the mountains
probably one of the ones i saw last week in Payson. They are cool looking in real life.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I had a XD driving next to me today, that thing is definitely a 3/4 ton sized truck & the motor was quite. They has a weight distribution hitch on it so it must of been one of the test mules that have been running up north in the mountains
I knew it looked big, next to a current Titan. If that's the case, it's going to be interesting.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts