Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
jim vertuno - associated press said:
austin, texas -- pistol-packing texas gov. Rick perry has a message for wily coyotes out there: Don't mess with my dog.

Perry told the associated press on tuesday that he needed just one shot from the laser-sighted pistol he sometimes carries while jogging to take down a coyote that menaced his puppy during february run in an undeveloped area near austin.

Perry said he will carry his .380 ruger pistol -- loaded with hollow-point bullets -- when jogging on trails because he is afraid of snakes. He'd also seen coyotes in the area.

When one came out of the brush toward his daughter's labrador retriever, perry charged.

"don't attack my dog or you might get shot ... If you're a coyote," he said tuesday.

Perry, a republican running for a third full term against democrat bill white, is living in a private house in a hilly area southwest of downtown austin while the governor's mansion is being repaired after a 2008 fire. A concealed handgun permit holder, perry carries the gun in a belt.

"i knew there were a lot of predators out there. You'll hear a pack of coyotes. People are losing small cats and dogs all the time out there in that community," perry said.

"they're very wily creatures."

on this particular morning, perry said, he had been jogging without his security detail shortly after sunrise.

"i'm enjoying the run when something catches my eye and it's this coyote. I know he knows i'm there. He never looks at me, he is laser-locked on that dog," perry said.

"i holler and the coyote stopped. I holler again. By this time i had taken my weapon out and charged it. It is now staring dead at me. Either me or the dog are in imminent danger. I did the appropriate thing and sent it to where coyotes go," he said.

Perry said the laser-pointer helped make a quick, clean kill.

"it was not in a lot of pain," he said. "it pretty much went down at that particular juncture."

texas state law allows people to shoot coyotes if they are threatening livestock or domestic animals. The coyote never reached the dog, which was unharmed, perry said.

Perry's security detail was not required to file a report on the governor discharging a weapon, said department of public safety spokeswoman tela mange.

"people shoot coyotes all the time, snakes all the time," mange said. "we don't write reports."

as for the coyote, perry left it where it fell.

"he became mulch," perry said.
gotta love it!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Good for him!! He did what any logical thinking person would do.
Too bad there are some people who would disagree with what he did.
I hate a coyote worse than a snake.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good for him!! He did what any logical thinking person would do.
Too bad there are some people who would disagree with what he did.
I hate a coyote worse than a snake.
Bingo! Usually three steps will move you out of harms way from a snake. But Coyotes, Mountain Lions, and Wild Boar will give chase. Then they've got the advantage of attacking you from behind.

·
Registered
163 Posts
of course you all know he lives and was jogging in a gated community with a security detail, and most people just yell at a coyote and they run off. I am glad I am not a neighbor and he didn't miss, btw how far will a bullet fly after passing through the coyote?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
of course you all know he lives and was jogging in a gated community with a security detail
As I understand he was sans detail that morning. Maybe so he could shoot the coyote? Maybe because he didn't shoot it and it was already dead, but a detail means witnesses? Who knows...

and most people just yell at a coyote and they run off.
Apparently people have been yelling at it and it does run off - with their dog in its teeth.

I am glad I am not a neighbor and he didn't miss
In order to get a CHL you have to complete a class. Most of that is classroom lecture on laws and non-violent conflict resolution. How do diffuse a situation before the need to shoot arises. But there is a portion where you have to qualify with a weapon. For that you have to put 50 rounds through the center of the DPS human silhouette at varying ranges out to like 15 or 20yards. Not to mention his pistol has a laser sight for easy target acquisition.

btw how far will a bullet fly after passing through the coyote?
Scientifically speaking... It depends on a number of factors. He was shooting a 380 which is fairly anemic. He also shot it out of a 2.75" barrel which wastes a lot of the potential charge that could be used to propel the bullet if the barrel was longer.

So for starters we aren't working with a whole heck-uva lot. If he had a hollow point it would mushroom on impact and start transferring its energy into the coyote. This greatly decelerates the round and doesn't leave as much energy to keep going.

Also, if he hit a bone like a shoulder or rib that would help decelerate the bullet even further.

Purely speculating on my part here, but I'll bet he was shooting down at the coyote. If (big if here) the bullet was to exit the coyote, it would more than likely hit the ground or near by vegetation. With out much energy left, that bullet probably came to rest inside the coyote or with in a 5 foot area behind it.

It certainly did not have enough energy to find a house or penetrate the exterior wall of a house or fence.

If he had shot it with a .357 on a 6" barrel with ball ammo, and the coyote was on a picnic table about chest high to a man, then this would be an entirely different story.

Here is a link to the pistol he did use...
Ruger LCP Centerfire Pistol Models

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
, btw how far will a bullet fly after passing through the coyote?
keep in mind, this is from someone who some consider the boards resident liberal...

about 4 inches, because as your average coyote is no bigger than a dog, and the governor of Texas is actually pretty tall. Its simple geometry, he was aiming at something well below his waist level. If it passed through the coyote it went into the dirt.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
keep in mind, this is from someone who some consider the boards resident liberal...
I knew we'd convert you to the dark side! :clap:

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
That is sweet man:) I hate yotes, good for nothing dogs.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts

Scientifically speaking... It depends on a number of factors. He was shooting a 380 which is fairly anemic. He also shot it out of a 2.75" barrel which wastes a lot of the potential charge that could be used to propel the bullet if the barrel was longer.

Yes, .380 out of a 2.75" barrel is weak.
Chart for .380 fired from a 2.75" Keltec

Attachments

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
of course you all know he lives and was jogging in a gated community with a security detail, and most people just yell at a coyote and they run off. I am glad I am not a neighbor and he didn't miss, btw how far will a bullet fly after passing through the coyote?
I am glad I am not your neighbor:)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
most people just yell at a coyote and they run off.
Most people don't live on a farm and have to deal with what a nuisance coyotes really are.

I yell at them as well..............after I shoot them with whatever I have available.:teethmast

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, .380 out of a 2.75" barrel is weak.
Chart for .380 fired from a 2.75" Keltec
I keep coming back to that chart and thinking to myself...
It is probably MORE responsible to carry an appropriate sized gun in a concealed carry situation in order to avoid collateral damage in a shooting situation.

A .44 magnum can be a lotta fun to shoot, but probably risky as a concealed weapon. Bulkyness and weight aside, i'll bet you could have a lot of unintended collateral damage from over penetration after you "blow some ones head clean off." I don't feel all that lucky.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I keep coming back to that chart and thinking to myself...
It is probably MORE responsible to carry an appropriate sized gun in a concealed carry situation in order to avoid collateral damage in a shooting situation.

A .44 magnum can be a lotta fun to shoot, but probably risky as a concealed weapon. Bulkyness and weight aside, i'll bet you could have a lot of unintended collateral damage from over penetration after you "blow some ones head clean off." I don't feel all that lucky.

The thought on the issue goes like this..:).....you should only carry a pocket
sized .380 if the choice is between that & no gun.....or as backup.
.......and you should practice getting off multiple shots quickly, because you
are probably going to need it. I carry a Sig P238 when I want maximum concealment, but
it definitely is not my first choice for protection.
-
The test was done in Feb 2010. At that time there was no .380 ammo designed for optimum
penetration/expansion from a 2.75 " barrel.........probably still true.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
.....you should only carry a pocket
sized .380 if the choice is between that & no gun.....or as backup.
Agreed. I'm usually a .40 guy, but have carried a 32acp before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts