Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a baja 2021 this week.

Detailed it today and only noticed one real flaw in the paint also no noticeable gaps in the bumper or body panels.

My 2018 silver / gray Pro 4X was horrible as far as the fit and finish.

Is mine just a fluke or are the newer ones fit and finish better?

·
Registered
2020 NISSAN TITAN PRO 4X
136 Posts
I agree. I have a 2020 P4X Gun Metallic and I am optimistic that the paint will hold up.

Sent from my FirstNet Note 20 Ultra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro4X
238 Posts
My 2020 Pro4X is real/plain white, no metallic or tri-coat. I think it’s pretty good, durable. Only time will tell!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Picked up a baja 2021 this week.

Detailed it today and only noticed one real flaw in the paint also no noticeable gaps in the bumper or body panels.

My 2018 silver / gray Pro 4X was horrible as far as the fit and finish.

Is mine just a fluke or are the newer ones fit and finish better?
The black paint on my 20’ is questionable at best..

Ask me again in two years.. They all look great fresh off the lot...

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2017 Black chipped if a leaf fell on it.

My 2021 Baja Sand that I just picked up looked like a pretty good finish when I clay barred, sealed, and waxed it after I picked it up a couple weeks ago. (asked dealer not to detail it). I also had paint protection film applied to the front end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol. Thats why I made this post. The dealer definitely knows not to clean my vehicles. I spent yesterday using Iron X, washing, claying, washing, polishing and sealing. Only noticed that one issue.

My '18 was a mess when I detailed it after I bought it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
lol. Thats why I made this post. The dealer definitely knows not to clean my vehicles. I spent yesterday using Iron X, washing, claying, washing, polishing and sealing. Only noticed that one issue.

My '18 was a mess when I detailed it after I bought it.
Yup. I like my dealer, and they tried to do me a solid with my 2017. They washed waxed and polished. The poor guy was all proud of himself.

I saw swirls everywhere (probably one of the reasons I didn't keep it as long either), but got most of it out.

This time... asked them to take the stickers off the windows, and if they must they could clean the windows.

I did the rest.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have read several posts over the years about the bad paint issue. I have owned several Nissan vehicles including cars, SUVs and two trucks, 2017 & 2020 Titans. I have never had a paint issue. Either I'm really lucky or it goes to show how well I take care of the exterior of my vehicles by cleaning and waxing often. I wash my truck at least two times a week week depending on weather conditions and wax every four months. How often do you guys maintain the paint?

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I am home, I take care of my paint religiously. My '17 will chip if you look at it wrong. Out my 45 vehicles, this is the one with the worst paint that I have ever had. Once I finally get back, I am going to have to have the whole hood resprayed.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have read several posts over the years about the bad paint issue. I have owned several Nissan vehicles including cars, SUVs and two trucks, 2017 & 2020 Titans. I have never had a paint issue. Either I'm really lucky or it goes to show how well I take care of the exterior of my vehicles by cleaning and waxing often. I wash my truck at least two times a week week depending on weather conditions and wax every four months. How often do you guys maintain the paint?
Funny you'd say that because a consumer report that tested over the counter wax and top of the line waxes (whatever that is) showed that the average protection time for waxes regardless of brand is 6 weeks.

And yes, I know many brands out there advertise 1yr protection and 6 months protection.....dare I say maybe, there is no such thing if your vehicle is outside in the elements. But your 4 months wax is better than most people including my wife. I don't know why I buy her expensive **** lol. She don't even know how to use wax :confused:, now she wants a Platinum Armada hahahaha #nothappening.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,315 Posts
i agree. my wife hasn't washed a car her whole life and she always got a new car and i got a 500 dollar vehicle in case it rained and i needed a ride to work.

i just take mine the truck through the automatic car wash. since we bought it used, it already had a few scratches and marks in it. i am thinking of one of those nice looking hood guards though. should help against rocks on the leading edges

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro-4X 2006 Titan SE (sold) Chevy SS Sedan
348 Posts
I've found the best way to preserve the paint is to hand-wash the vehicle. If you guys have a pressure washer, a foam cannon is absolutely a must. To me the final touch is no touch. Invest in a nice spotless water system. I have a CR Spotless system, but Costco sells this, which seems possibly much cheaper than my current setup. https://www.costco.com/unger-professional-rinse'n'go-spotless-car-wash-system.product.100471577.html

While not exactly my Titan, and it sits in the garage, this is my 4+ year old garage baby with no camera filter, taken about 5 months ago, granted less than 10K miles a year, but she still looks new. I will say this, the hood has all sorts of chips on it, and I start to wonder if it's not so much the paint, but the aluminum hood that makes it hard to keep the rock chips from happening.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The pearl white paint on my 2018 is good everywhere except for the roof, where it's too thin. I've told Nissan about it and they are willing to re-paint because the edges along the seam filler are starting to crack. I haven't scheduled the appointment for it, but I will soon while it's under warranty.

As far as chipping, I've never known a painted metal surface to resist chipping very well - regardless of vehicle make. When road debris impacts it, there is no ductility to the impact so all of the force is transmitted to the point of contact, rather than spread over a broader area like a softer painted surface. My 1994 BMW 325is had a painted metal grill surround but a plastic front bumper. At 200k miles, the grill surround looked absolutely awful and the bumper had only a few chips on it, and the rest of the paint was surprisingly good. The titan has a lot of frontal area that's painted metal on some trims, but even the ones with chrome bumpers have a fairly upright portion along the front of the hood that is also prone to chipping. I applied paint protection film to all the metal frontal surfaces and my paint still looks brand new with 28k miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts